UFC 121 - Lesnar vs Velasquez

Quite suprised there wasn't a topic already for this, well its not long away now we are in "Brocktober" as UFC put it..

UFC_121_Poster.jpg

UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Velasquez

Date: Oct 23, 2010

Venue: Honda Center

Broadcast: Pay-per-view

MAIN CARD

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez (for heavyweight title)

* Martin Kampmann vs. Jake Shields

* Diego Sanchez vs. Paulo Thiago

* Matt Hamill vs. Tito Ortiz

* Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Brendan Schaub

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

* Ryan Jensen vs. Court McGee

* Patrick Cote vs. Tom Lawlor

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Sam Stout vs. Paul Taylor

* Mike Guymon vs. Daniel Roberts

* Chris Camozzi vs. Dongi Yang

* Jon Madsen vs. Gilbert Yvel

One of the strongest cards in a while, even the undercard fights are looking to be good.. Also looking forward to Jake Shields debut in the octagon, clearly all everyone is going to be talking about is Brock/Velasquez. Velasquez has awesome accuracy with his punches, but definately not the power to match Carwin's, Brock may take a bit of damage but i can ultimately see Brock taking him down and doin his business on the ground..

Lookin forward to this one!

Velasquez will win. It's about time too. Tired of Lesnar going undefeated. I'm sure he's a decent family man but his on-screen persona is so annoying and arrogant. I know a lot of it comes from his time as a WWF wrestler but yeah....I do think Velasquez's ground skills are vastly under estimated, especially for this fight.

Jake Shields will beat Martin Kampmann and then likely get fast tracked to WW champion contender. Mat Hammil SHOULD beat Tito...God I hope he does.

Cain is an elite wrestler with solid boxing. Lesnar is a freak. It will be a good fight. I'm more interested in the undercard that is totally stacked. This card is stacked top to bottom. Looking forward to see Shields debut.

I believe in Cain Velasquez. It would spice up the UFC HW picture and maybe we could get to see a JDS vs Cain.

I think the weight difference is going to be too much for Velasquez. Velasquez competes at about 245 and cuts no weight. Lesnar competes at the division max of 265 and cuts some weight to get there. The bottom line is that Lesnar is the strongest guy in the UFC right now and has some of the best wrestling as well. That is a huge advantage if the fight goes to the ground. It is going to take either a dude his own size with at least equal wrestling ability or someone with outstanding stand-up combined with great take down defense to beat him and I don't see Velasquez fitting either profile.

Lesnar takes him down early in the first and rides him for most of the round before pounding him out late in the first. I expect a boring main event fight, but the under card looks exciting.

I think the weight difference is going to be too much for Velasquez. Velasquez competes at about 245 and cuts no weight. Lesnar competes at the division max of 265 and cuts some weight to get there. The bottom line is that Lesnar is the strongest guy in the UFC right now and has some of the best wrestling as well. That is a huge advantage if the fight goes to the ground. It is going to take either a dude his own size with at least equal wrestling ability or someone with outstanding stand-up combined with great take down defense to beat him and I don't see Velasquez fitting either profile.

Lesnar takes him down early in the first and rides him for most of the round before pounding him out late in the first. I expect a boring main event fight, but the under card looks exciting.

How does not Velasquez fit any of those profiles? Cain only has 1 decision in his 8-0 record, the rest are by TKO/KO so you know his striking is top-notch. He's currently training with Lyoto for the fight, another great striker. As for the wrestling, he is a two-time All-American Div 1 NCAA Wrestler. His wrestling pedigree is as good if not better than Lesnar. I don't think he should be counted out that easily.

Lesnar finished his amateur career as a two-time NJCAA All-American, 1998 NJCAA Heavyweight Champion, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Conference Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106–5 overall in four years of college

That seems a little more accomplished than Velasquez' NJCAA national championship, im not saying he isnt a good wrestler, i just think its pretty clear that Brock's ability outshines Cain's, not to mention the HUGE weight difference, Lesnar cuts weight from about 285 and i imagine he'll be up around that mark for the fight.

Let's see how Lesnar's cardio stands up to Velasquez's. Every time I see Cain fight I'm impressed by his speed and energy for a guy his size. Brock's biggest assist is his size and I think Cain will undermine that.

Velasquez will win. It's about time too. Tired of Lesnar going undefeated.

Uhm...Lesnar is not undefeated.

Why do haters gotta hate? So many people said that Lesnar couldn't take his shots. Well, he did. He came back from a near stoppage with Carwin to submit him. Lesnar has proven that he is the champ.

As for his brash personality, that doesn't mean anything once the bell rings. He's not a huge pre-fight trash-talker. He just gets pumped up after a win and says dumb ****. But there is no doubt about his skills in the octagon. Once he get a hold of a guy, he doesn't let go. His wrestling skills are unmatched and the rest of his game is coming around nicely.

Uhm...Lesnar is not undefeated.

Why do haters gotta hate? So many people said that Lesnar couldn't take his shots. Well, he did. He came back from a near stoppage with Carwin to submit him. Lesnar has proven that he is the champ.

As for his brash personality, that doesn't mean anything once the bell rings. He's not a huge pre-fight trash-talker. He just gets pumped up after a win and says dumb ****. But there is no doubt about his skills in the octagon. Once he get a hold of a guy, he doesn't let go. His wrestling skills are unmatched and the rest of his game is coming around nicely.

I'm certainly not a hater...And he is on an undefeated streak. Obviously he isn't undefeated, Mir submitted him in their first meeting. Saying I'm tired of seeing him go undefeated, I really did mean during this streak he's currently on. I'm not doubting his skills.....I just don't like how he carries himself. I watch the UFC for more than just two guys beating the **** out of each other. Martial arts, their training ansd how they present themselves as winners and losers in and outside of the Octagon is what matters to me. You can be GSP and be one of the pound for pound bests but if you're a total asshat *imo* then I don't care for you as a UFC fighter. Oh wait...That's Anderson Silva.

Let's see how Lesnar's cardio stands up to Velasquez's. Every time I see Cain fight I'm impressed by his speed and energy for a guy his size. Brock's biggest assist is his size and I think Cain will undermine that.

Cardio may end up being the turning point here. Does Lesnar have the cardio to endure 5 rounds against a solid striker like Cain? What will be his gameplan if he can't take Cain down? All those muscles need blood to work and the effort will take its toll as the fight continues. Has Lesnar improved his stand up game or is he just 100% sure that he can take everybody down? If Brock does win then Brock vs JDS will just be a repeat of this fight and that will suck(JDS wrestling isn't up to snuff as Cain's is).

Since I so want Cain vs JDS, Cain has to win and that's that :pinch:

I'm certainly not a hater...And he is on an undefeated streak. Obviously he isn't undefeated, Mir submitted him in their first meeting. Saying I'm tired of seeing him go undefeated, I really did mean during this streak he's currently on. I'm not doubting his skills.....I just don't like how he carries himself. I watch the UFC for more than just two guys beating the **** out of each other. Martial arts, their training ansd how they present themselves as winners and losers in and outside of the Octagon is what matters to me. You can be GSP and be one of the pound for pound bests but if you're a total asshat *imo* then I don't care for you as a UFC fighter. Oh wait...That's Anderson Silva.

Anderson Silva is a total asshat. I completely agree with that. But, as I said, Lesnar just gets pumped up after the fight and can't control his mouth. When, in any of his pre-fight interviews, has he been a dick? He's complemented his opponents but still thinks he's going to win and is not bashful about saying it. A lot of fighters do that.

Lesnar's post-fight antics have made me uneasy, as well. I just don't think that people should be that hard on him for that. He's getting better. But, after the Carwin fight, he was calm and he acknowledged the fact that it was close. He thanked the ref for not stopping the fight. And he thanked his coaches for what eventually ended the fight. No smack-talk. No middle fingers. There are a ton of fighters that run around and pump their fists, jump up on the cage wall, and scream. Why is that different? Aren't they being just a bombastic as Lesnar was?

I think, as he continues to grows as a fighter, he is also learning to be more humble and appreciative.

How does not Velasquez fit any of those profiles? Cain only has 1 decision in his 8-0 record, the rest are by TKO/KO so you know his striking is top-notch. He's currently training with Lyoto for the fight, another great striker. As for the wrestling, he is a two-time All-American Div 1 NCAA Wrestler. His wrestling pedigree is as good if not better than Lesnar. I don't think he should be counted out that easily.

8-0 against who exactly? Big Nog is the only guy I consider top ranked there and he has been plagued with injuries the last few years and was certainly not at the top of his game for that fight. I will give Cain the edge on stand-up, but he has not show the type of take down defense he will need for Lesnar. Cain's two 5th place finishes for the NCAA championship is not as good as Lesnar's first and second place finishes. Cardio may or may not go to Velasquez. We have never seen Lesnar go all that long and I don't really recall Cain's recent fights going very long either. Cardio is a complete unknown factor and really I don't see the fight going past the first round no matter which guy wins. Size is going to be a huge factor in the HW division in general and this fight is no different. Lesnar has about 30 pounds on him; it is almost unfair.

From the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. for tomorrow night?s UFC 121 card headlining the UFC heavyweight championship bout between Brock Lesnar and Cain Velasquez and the welterweight battle between Jake Shields and Martin Kampmann. UFC 121 airs live on Pay-Per-View at 10pm ET / 7pm PT. Fans can also tune in to Spike TV at 9pm ET / 6pm PT to see live UFC 121 preliminary bouts.

Brock Lesnar 264 vs Cain Velasquez 244

Martin Kampmann 170 vs Jake Shields 170.5

Matt Hamill 203.5 vs Tito Ortiz 206

Gabriel Gonzaga 254 vs Brendan Schaub 239

Paulo Thiago 170.5 vs Diego Sanchez 170.5

SPIKE PRELIMS

Ryan Jensen 185 vs Court McGee 184.5

Tom Lawlor 185 vs Patrick Cote 185

PRELIMS

Daniel Roberts 170 vs Mike Guymon 170

Paul Taylor 155 vs Sam Stout 155.5

Dongi Yang 186 vs Chris Camozzi 185

Gilbert Yvel 249 vs Jon Madsen 254.5

Altough I know it's going to be pretty difficult, I want Cain to win in order to see Cain vs. JDS. Lesnar vs JDS just wouldn't be the same thing.

Altough I know it's going to be pretty difficult, I want Cain to win in order to see Cain vs. JDS. Lesnar vs JDS just wouldn't be the same thing.

Simply because JDS wouldnt stand a chance against Brock, he is nowhere near ready to fight someone like that. God, not long now :)