Did anyone else watch Kongo vs Barry? For a free event that was AMAZING. I don't know how the Kongo fight wasn't stopped; Mitrione is the real deal; Rick Story got shafted and... Lentz lost by illegal knee. LOL

Nate's testosterone levels were too high.

The Kongo fight was great. A couple friends of mine went, because it was here in Pittsburgh, and they said everyone thought Barry was dead. I actually thought the same watching it on tv.

Nate's testosterone levels were too high.

The Kongo fight was great. A couple friends of mine went, because it was here in Pittsburgh, and they said everyone thought Barry was dead. I actually thought the same watching it on tv.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, Nate played it all wrong. If he had just been straight with Dana and bowed out of the event one month in advance. Not being able to pass medicals on the eve of an event that was already marred by injuries was a big slap in the face.

Pat Barry was clinically dead after that uppercut. Pretty sure of it. Rick Story must be kicking himself right now.

Chris Santos was released by Strikeforce and will probably jump ship to Bellator to rape and murder bloated 125 & 135lb women fighters. The only person that considers this good news is Gina Carano.

Chris Santos was released by Strikeforce and will probably jump ship to Bellator to rape and murder bloated 125 & 135lb women fighters. The only person that considers this good news is Gina Carano.

yeah she can return now and reclaim the title :p

yeah she can return now and reclaim the title :p

Against whom? Maybe Miesha beats Marloes (I don't know...) and Marloes moves back to 145 and fights Gina for the title as per the Strikeforce Bizarro Rules of MMA contention where you can only get a title shot coming off of a loss.

So with the UFC planning a UFC Japan event, it kind of plays into that thing I said before: if Okami beats Silva (he won't) the rematch will be in Japan and sell more PPV than if it was the cure for cancer.

Also rumor has it that Machida is fighting Chael Sonnen at LHW at UFC 136. I don't whether to laugh or cry. If Sonnen goes, who will be a serious contender to the MW title?

The good stuff starts at 2:00. Talk about a late stoppage... Kim Kouture could have ended up with (even more) brain damage from that.

The sound... oh the sound. This is what happens when you apply a kimura and use the leverage to attack the elbow instead of the shoulder.

If one needed more proof that Strikeforce is a crap magnet, Overeem is out of the HW tournament because of, wait for it, he feels disrespected by Zuffa. Or something like that. The HW was of already little relevance in the HW scene after the Overeem vs Werdum debacle and now it's even worse. The only good news is that Cormier is taking his place and he's probably good enough to beat Silva and get to the finals.

• 2 weeks later...

And now Overeem is out of Strikeforce. Teaches him to refuse to fight in the HW tournament in September and taking a Golden Glory fight in October. The ex-Strikeforce's HW champion ladies and gentlemen.

I just got to watch Fedor v Henderson on Primetime and I have to say, the fight got stopped early.

The referee didn't give Fedor a chance to defend, which he obviously tried to do after taking a few shots. Bad officiating.

I just got to watch Fedor v Henderson on Primetime and I have to say, the fight got stopped early.

The referee didn't give Fedor a chance to defend, which he obviously tried to do after taking a few shots. Bad officiating.

Fedor went limp after the first punch and faceplanted on the canvas. That's a pretty sure sign of being KO'ed. He only turned around to defend after Hendo had landed 2 vicious punches to his head and Herb Dean stepped in. Also, it doesn't show up in the transmission, but when Fedor got up he was so wobbly he almost fell over. I don't think the outcome would be any different had the fight gone on. That first punch took him out clean, it's pretty clear on the replay.

Fedor went limp after the first punch and faceplanted on the canvas. That's a pretty sure sign of being KO'ed. He only turned around to defend after Hendo had landed 2 vicious punches to his head and Herb Dean stepped in. Also, it doesn't show up in the transmission, but when Fedor got up he was so wobbly he almost fell over. I don't think the outcome would be any different had the fight gone on. That first punch took him out clean, it's pretty clear on the replay.

Yep, it didn't show the wobbly bit. But I've seen many fighters who have recovered after eating a few punches thrown even after they've gone down, Fedor was one of them here. Don't get me wrong, he was hurt, just not badly enough for the quick stoppage.

Yep, it didn't show the wobbly bit. But I've seen many fighters who have recovered after eating a few punches thrown even after they've gone down, Fedor was one of them here. Don't get me wrong, he was hurt, just not badly enough for the quick stoppage.

5.gif

Faceplanting on the canvas, completely limp, isn't being hurt. It's being out. After he got up, Herb Dean had to support him because he was totally wobbled. He was in no condition to continue that fight. He ate a couple of shots while down on his belly. Only after Herb stopped Dan and moved him, did he seemingly "recover". And even if they didn't stop the fight there, there is nothing that would lead us to believe that Fedor would have turned the tables on Henderson.

Surprised there's no comment on the exodus of Golden Glory fighters from Strikeforce.

Marlos Coenen, John Olav Einemo and Overeem's brother Valentijn Overeem are all gone from Strikeforce.

Oh yeah...So is Fedor. M-1 has said he isn't retiring however. He's heading back to Russia and will be fighting in Europe and maybe Japan if you know his management gets the money they want. So Fedor will go on a can crushing spree, build up his record again to get his "legacy" back, and try to come back to the U.S and fight in...What...Bellator? Pro Elite? Hopefully now that Overeem is free we can see a Fedor Vs Overeem matchup.

Surprised there's no comment on the exodus of Golden Glory fighters from Strikeforce.

Marlos Coenen, John Olav Einemo and Overeem's brother Valentijn Overeem are all gone from Strikeforce.

Oh yeah...So is Fedor. M-1 has said he isn't retiring however. He's heading back to Russia and will be fighting in Europe and maybe Japan if you know his management gets the money they want. So Fedor will go on a can crushing spree, build up his record again to get his "legacy" back, and try to come back to the U.S and fight in...What...Bellator? Pro Elite? Hopefully now that Overeem is free we can see a Fedor Vs Overeem matchup.

It's not really an exodus if they we're kicked out. Dana White said it was an issue with their management but there's probably more to it than that. The thing is that looking at each release individually, some make sense: Einemo hadn't fought since 2006, went into the UFC and lost to also UFC new arrival Dave Herman. His uber grappling skills just didn't translate well into MMA and he had no place in the UFC HW division. Valentijn Overeem is 31-29 can crusher who was only in SF because his brother is Alistair Overeem. He sucks beyond belief. As for Marloes... she's a former champ alright but let's not forgot that she got her title shot on the heels of a brutal defeat at the hands of Cyborg. And since the Women's division is as shallow as a puddle who would she fight next? There is probably no other credible alternativa than to give her another straight title shot after Kaufman. It's clearly a dig at Golden Glory, sure. But even if that wasn't an issue, Marloes would se be on thin ice as all other women fighters. And as for Alistair... well, spite. Of course. Wouldn't fight in September but would fight in October for Golden Glory? Would win the HW tournament but be requiring a new contract by then with freedom to fight for other orgs? No, no, no, no that isn't going to work. As for Fedor, M-1 has said that they're going to promote a card in Russia for Fedor to fight in, surely to crush another can, maybe do some tag team MMA and crush 2 cans at the same time. Now that Fedor lost 3 in a row, including one to a 40 year old MW is there still interest in a fight against Ubereem to determine the "best"? The thing is that Ubereem albeit a can crusher is still skilled and would probably beat Fedor. And M-1 doesn't want that at all so... Only the future will tell what those crazy russians will do.

Yeah exodus was perhaps the wrong word choice. I was reading up on the reasoning behind it and it feels like something is missing...Coen posted her paycheck from Zuffa and it was made out directly to her...Kind of contradicts what Dana said...Oh well. Like you pointed out, SF didn't really lose much in the way of talent. If Hendo leaves...Well that's another story.

Yeah exodus was perhaps the wrong word choice. I was reading up on the reasoning behind it and it feels like something is missing...Coen posted her paycheck from Zuffa and it was made out directly to her...Kind of contradicts what Dana said...Oh well. Like you pointed out, SF didn't really lose much in the way of talent. If Hendo leaves...Well that's another story.

The Golden Glory thing is clearly a powerplay but Zuffa has a business point because Golden Glory promotes MMA events that use fighters that they "own". So let's say they invest in building up Ubereem for a big fight in the UFC and then he takes a couple of months off to fight in C-league cards because they're put on by his management. And suffers a loss. What then? It's like Fedor now. No way Dana would offer him what he did before to come in a fight Lesnar ou Couture or someone else, coming in with 3 losses in a row. As for Hendo, he costs way too much money to be kept around in SF where they don't even promote PPV. He will be moved to the UFC, take a slight pay-cut and do what he does best: fight. Every division in Strikeforce is starving for talent. There are very few fighters that are good enough to hang even in the UFC mid-card. Cormier, Melendez and not many others. The WW division could be destroyed by guys like Rick Story or Jake Ellenberger. As for LHW, when your two best fighters are in the far end of the Top 20, it means nothing. Zuffa should just fold it into the UFC and start weeding out the weaker fighters.

. The WW division could be destroyed by guys like Rick Story or Jake Ellenberger. As for LHW, when your two best fighters are in the far end of the Top 20, it means nothing. Zuffa should just fold it into the UFC and start weeding out the weaker fighters.

I almost get the feeling that's what they're doing. Which, is far from "business as usual" heh. And yeah, their WW division is a joke in SF. I'd love to see what any of them would do to Rory MacDonald or Carlos Condit. Or, like you said...Ellenberger or Story. Really, I'd want to see Jacare Souza, Evangelista and Tyron Woodley brought over, and Tim Kennedy...How well Evangelista would do is beyond me, but he's entertaining. Jacare, I like. But I don't think he could hang with the upper echelon of MW fighters in the UFC.

I almost get the feeling that's what they're doing. Which, is far from "business as usual" heh. And yeah, their WW division is a joke in SF. I'd love to see what any of them would do to Rory MacDonald or Carlos Condit. Or, like you said...Ellenberger or Story. Really, I'd want to see Jacare Souza, Evangelista and Tyron Woodley brought over, and Tim Kennedy...How well Evangelista would do is beyond me, but he's entertaining. Jacare, I like. But I don't think he could hang with the upper echelon of MW fighters in the UFC.

Jacar? and Anderson are bros, both fight out of Black House. So they wouldn't really fight each other. Also the MW division already has a resident one-dimensional grappler in Demian Maia (albeit his recent improvements in the striking department). Tim Kennedy, sure. I could see him headline the next Fight for the Troops against Brian Stann or something. Evangelista... maybe if he moved back to MW instead of this WW adventure he is on. He of course suffers from Chute-Boxe syndrome, hits like a truck but can't grapple out of a wet paper bag. Maybe turn him into a punching bag for Leben or Santiago or whatever. Hehehe. Bring Tyron Woodley and have him try to lay on Fitch or Shields.

The guys that I'm really interested in SF: Daniel Cormier (HW, 8-0, trains with Cain Velasquez), Chad Griggs (11-1, hits like a truck, good filler for the HW division), Gilbert Melendez & Jorge Masvidal. It's almost depressing to look at the SF roster in Wikipedia and see that the majority of the fighters have losing records in general and in SF fights.

Yeah Cormier looks very promising and it wouldn't surprise me if he won the GP. Melendez is a given to come over. He's one of the best in SF. Not sure how much I like the guys coming out of Cesar Gracie's camp but they're tough and can fight real well. I wouldn't want to see Evangelista try anything at WW. Unless he was fighting Thiago Alves. Otherwise his lack of grappling defense would make for likely a very one sided fight like you mentioned. Not familiar with Griggs really. Just know he hits hard. I'll have to look up some of his fights.

Tim Kennedy, as much as I would root for him, needs more work before becoming a true contender. His standup is improving a bit, and he really needs that he can't rely on his grappling skills for the whole fight, once he fights someone with great takedown skills it would be over