[Official] Fallout New Vegas

this game LAGS HARD in windows 7 64 bit, core i7, 6 gigs ram, GTX 285, everytime there's lots of NPC's around, the game crawls. Oh well I guess I just wasted $50...

Windows Vista, Athlon 64 X2, 8 gigs ram, SLI 2x 9500, medium settings and no lag at all anywhere in the game.

Yea i'm getting some fairly bad performance issues. my pc isn't the best but it can most certainly handle more than what this game has to offer in visuals. i've had to turn everything down so it looks quite bad, but still lags when alot is going on screen.

saying that, i'm really enjoying this game. maybe not as much as fallout 3, but it's still really fun. just a shame about the performance issues.

I sincerely hope that this is the last rpg destroyed by the Oblivion engine (i.e. Bethesda's modified version of Gamebryo). Everything looks buggy and unnatural even when it's not actually buggy. In particular the lighting, the faces and the physics. Oh my God. They looked horrible in Oblivion, 2006, yet somehow the same shaders and code are apparently still used in a late 2010 release. What a shame. And I rant because I love Obsidian and I know what they're capable of (Icewind Dale series, NWN2:MotB), and I had that glimmer of hope that they could turn Bethesda's crap into something decent. Alas.

This game would have been better served by the Infinity Engine, seriously. Yeah, that decade-old sprite-based engine would have been way more believable (and would have probably lead to a much more polished product) than what we got here. Oh, I forget, I wouldn't be very playable on consoles. :pinch: Well then, we need something 3D/controller friendly. CD Projekt made an awesome rpg out of the NWN1 engine (the Witcher), that would have worked well on console with minor UI changes. Why can't Obsidian go that route? Why use the worst engine on the market?

Anyway, I'm done ranting. See you next time Obsidian. Hope you don't repeat the same mistake again.

In the meantime, I'll wait for the Witcher 2. :yes:

Edited by Dr_Asik

Nice to see this is still in the wrong sub forum. Edit: Saying that it is an abysmal OT. I'll try to slap one up in work.

Just finished this last night. The game it's self is little more than Fallout 3.5, even the graphics look the same, but does a great deal of a better job at recreating the feel of the original series. None of this Bioware-esq karma good/bad. I happily ridden the morally gray true to the end until I had to finally pick a side. Alas it's an Obsidian game so crashed 3 times last night and a grand total of 8 times over the weekend. Not counting the various non-show stopper bugs.

It crashed 8 times over the weekend yet its release is only this week? so are we to believe that you got it last week?

Still didn't take long to finish :( and I've still not got mine yet

It crashed 8 times over the weekend yet its release is only this week? so are we to believe that you got it last week?

Still didn't take long to finish :( and I've still not got mine yet

Since Neowin allowed leaked games to be talked about it doesn't matter if you pirate a game and talk about it 3 years before release laugh.gif

Since Neowin allowed leaked games to be talked about it doesn't matter if you pirate a game and talk about it 3 years before release laugh.gif

But then if its a leaked/pirated game you can't expect it to reliable as a lot of times the methods used to get around the copy protection itself often introduces bugs in to the game

But then if its a leaked/pirated game you can't expect it to reliable as a lot of times the methods used to get around the copy protection itself often introduces bugs in to the game

I was playing on the 360 and the crashing is well documented by reviewers. :)

Now for my second play through on the PC version. Hopefully todays patch will iron things out.

Talking of reviews:

One site was forced to pull its Fallout Vegas review because advertiser Bethesda was unhappy w/ score. Sad this crap still goes on.

Link to Dan Hsu's twitter. Nice to see Bethesda has a lot of confidence in Obsidian.

Im gutted, my Collectors Edition for the PC arrived today and I cannot play the damn game as my PC is in for repair, and will be at least another two weeks as they have had to RMA my motherboard :(

So anyone with the PC version. Does it go through Steam and does it lock the game till Friday (its official date)?

Just want to know to know if it is worth cancelling my plans for tonight :p

this game LAGS HARD in windows 7 64 bit, core i7, 6 gigs ram, GTX 285, everytime there's lots of NPC's around, the game crawls. Oh well I guess I just wasted $50...

No lag at all on my rig in signature.

I HATE STEAM... :angry:

Mine arrived int he post this morning from Game and this is the first game I have ever pre-ordered which will not install because of STEAMWORKS really hacked off I have to wait until 01:00 before I can install the game... I have never experienced this before, and I always pre-order games from Game so I can play the game before it's offically released. Not a happy customer.

STEAM Suck...! :crazy:

I've been playing it a bit since I picked up my 360 copy on Tuesday. So far, I'm really loving it. It's Fallout 3 in a different location basically. And because I loved FO3 so much, this is perfect for me.

So far, I haven't experienced any crashes (knock on wood), but I fully expect to as FO3 had the same issue (though apparently not nearly as bad as NV according to most reviews I've read). I have experienced glitches and bugs, which is typical for games on this engine - floating items, glitchy gun placement (will disappear randomly and occasionally kick to the top of the screen before dropping back down) and a lot of NPCs walking into things and getting stuck.

Beyond that, I'm having a blast - I've played about 5-6 hours in (down in Primm now) and the story is definitely good so far. I like how we have a more defined rep/faction system than FO3. I'm also looking forward to the weapon mods and the ability to make ammo once I gather more components. The selection of weapons so far seems prety nice and is defintely varied from FO3.

The whole crafting system seems like a really nice idea and I'm looking forward to using it, but I think they may have dumped too much in it. Starting at level 1 you can see everything you can make. On the one hand, that's handy because it shows you exactly what skill level you need and what materials you need. On the other, early on, it's more time consuming scrolling through the lists to find what you want to make. Also, it takes some of the fun out of having to discover or buy the recipes in order to use them.

I'm also a little surprised at how many people are complaining about the model and texture reuse. We're talking about the same game world at the same point in time. Of course there are going to be similarities. If I was to travel across the country today I'd see many of the same items in use and very similar, if not the same, architecture in use across the country. Besides, there are plenty of new models and textures - most of the weapons are new, the entire Vegas strip is new as well as the Dam. Besides, the reuse adds a lot of familiarity to the world and lets me think I never left - which is a good thing in my opinion.

Overall, I can definitely see myself sinking another 200+ hours into the Fallout universe. And I'm really looking forward to it.

wait... does this mean you've already finished the game?

If it is anything like Fallout 3, then the main missions to complete the story, as the game does have a brickwall ending, shouldn't take that long to get through.

I have never experienced this before, and I always pre-order games from Game so I can play the game before it's offically released. Not a happy customer.

Maybe you should wait until the game is actually released before complaining about not being able to play it? Lots of games have time/date locks on them that prevent you from installing them before release (for the PC, that is). Sure those locks can be circumvented, but they are there because the developers do not want you playing to game until release day. If you are buying from a place specifically to play before release day then oh well, blame that place for selling it early, not the service the game uses to stop you from playing it before you should be allowed to play it.

Its really not Steams fault, its the developers fault for using that type of system. Blame Bethesda for using Steamworks to prevent people from playing the game before release and "Game" for selling you the game before release, not Steamworks/Steam for doing its job.

Maybe you shouldn't be buying games before release if you want to expect to play them as soon as you get them.

wait... does this mean you've already finished the game?

Yep. Nice to finish a Fallout game without someone spoiling it on me. :)

Found on GAF credit to Max over there:

fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini found in documents>my games>falloutnv folder

Increase FPS on multicore systems:

In fallout.ini

Find the line: bUseThreadedAI=0

change it to: bUseThreadedAI=1

Add another line after it and insert: iNumHWThreads=2 (or 4 for quad)

Remove Mouse Acceration:

In falloutprefs.ini add this under [controls]:

fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0

fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0

fForegroundMouseBase=0

Change the Field of View:

In fallout.ini

Ctrl+F "fov" and change that **** to 90.