[Official] Fallout New Vegas

There is a filter on Fallout NV. What other colour is dirt?

I think WastedJoker has it right, it is brown for a reason. If it was all flowers and green grass then it wouldn't be as "authentic".

Seems like you aren't fully grasping the concept. People who defend the brown-filter knows two standpoints and they are polar opposites; completely dull brown with no life or colour whatsoever and the other end is a RARE game with vibrant, screaming colours, bathed in green grass and flowers.

There's paved roads, the sky is clearly blue, there's clouds, there's man-made housing that has doors, weapons made of metals and the list goes on - Yet you're telling me everything can't be their natural colour because there's a bit of dirt surrounding it? When I walk inside a building, everything is equally brown? The outside atmospheric argument doesn't hold water whatsoever. People need to stop defending the brown filter with all these dumb arguments and realize it's not done for atmosphere, it's done for masking purposes.

A nuclear fallout would destroy everything, not radiate it in brown. The desert setting is the most obvious excuse for the ugly-brown but it doesn't look right or even look like a sand effect as it wouldn't be a permanent cover of EVERYTHING and you'd actually see sand storms or loose sand move about.

Slapping a brown filter on top haven't really improved any game and it certainly hasn't done anything for this game.

/startrant

Stop whining that the game feels like a Fallout 3 addon :angry:

Fallout 3 was a brilliant game and I for one am glad the game feels exactly the same - there's enough new stuff to keep me happy and I'm glad there's a whole new weird world to explore.

/endrant

I know how you feel! it annoys me too when people bitch and moan that Fallout NV is just "Fallout 3.5", considering Fallout 3 was awesome, how is that a bad thing?

One word to describe this game (apart from maybe "buggy")...

BROWN

:no:

What did you expect exactly? it's a post apocalyptic wasteland! I for one think it's awesome and you really need to take it in context to understand it I think. I admit at first the whole "brownness" of Fallout (3) was very off putting for me for ages (coming from the colour rich Oblivion, Fallout 3 seemed so dull and boring) but when I finally took the plunge and got the game, I really appreciate it now and wouldn't want to see it any other way! While NV does add a little colour to an otherwise brown palette, it's just the right amount to show NV wasn't as badly hit by the nuclear fallout...but reminds you it's still very much a wasteland. I think if Fallout was as colourful as say Oblivion, it would seem wrong (considering it's only a few hundred years after the bombs dropped), however, had Fallout been set say a few thousand years after, well then more colour would be appropriate I think. That is my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt.

Seems like you aren't fully grasping the concept. People who defend the brown-filter knows two standpoints and they are polar opposites; completely dull brown with no life or colour whatsoever and the other end is a RARE game with vibrant, screaming colours, bathed in green grass and flowers.

There's paved roads, the sky is clearly blue, there's clouds, there's man-made housing that has doors, weapons made of metals and the list goes on - Yet you're telling me everything can't be their natural colour because there's a bit of dirt surrounding it? When I walk inside a building, everything is equally brown? The outside atmospheric argument doesn't hold water whatsoever. People need to stop defending the brown filter with all these dumb arguments and realize it's not done for atmosphere, it's done for masking purposes.

A nuclear fallout would destroy everything, not radiate it in brown. The desert setting is the most obvious excuse for the ugly-brown but it doesn't look right or even look like a sand effect as it wouldn't be a permanent cover of EVERYTHING and you'd actually see sand storms or loose sand move about.

Slapping a brown filter on top haven't really improved any game and it certainly hasn't done anything for this game.

There's a lot more colour in NV than F3, imo. If it';s not to your taste just don't play the game or wait for someone to mod the filter to a more suitable setting.

Personally, I think if you're the kind of person who looks for faults rather than appreciates an atmospheric effect for immersion then you're always going to be disappointed. Shortcuts must be made for deadlines.

Gt5 take note.

I'm sorry, but some of you seem to believe that just because an area has been blasted with nuclear bombs it means nothing can grow there again? It takes very little time at all in fact to grow grass, trees and plants. Not hundreds of years.

Sethos is right. Brown filters and pure laziness are the only reasons brown has been used.

I'm sorry, but some of you seem to believe that just because an area has been blasted with nuclear bombs it means nothing can grow there again? It takes very little time at all in fact to grow grass, trees and plants. Not hundreds of years.

Sethos is right. Brown filters and pure laziness are the only reasons brown has been used.

I agree with both of you.

The first mod I'd download for Fallout 3 when starting a new game is Fellout, because I hated the atmosphere of the original game.

There's a lot more colour in NV than F3, imo. If it';s not to your taste just don't play the game or wait for someone to mod the filter to a more suitable setting.

Personally, I think if you're the kind of person who looks for faults rather than appreciates an atmospheric effect for immersion then you're always going to be disappointed. Shortcuts must be made for deadlines.

Gt5 take note.

Personally, I think you're the kind of person that is blinded by the love for the game and have an extremely low quality threshold.

That is not an atmospheric effect, it's a filter slapped on top. Great atmospheric effects are ( and not limited to ) haze effects, subtle sound effects like wind etc., minor dust clouds moving about, sand movement across objects and roads, properly rendered weather and many other things. Don't start lecturing me on appreciation, especially not with this pile of cheaply created ass because it won't even stand next to truly atmospheric games like Red Dead Redemotion, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Arma II, Bioshock and many others because there's so little attention to it. I'm the kind of guy that can accept shortcuts and flaws in games if everything else makes up for it! - This game however, does not. Not only is everything very ugly, the entire game is buggy and they can't even capture a proper feel of the nuclear wasteland that'd put a smile on my face.

This is a usual masking brown filter, nothing else.

Your arguing over a opinions which is taking up pages of yet another topic on here, agree to disagree and move past it as neither of you are going to change your minds, if you don't like the game for whatever reason, say so and move on, this forum has enough of people crapping on peoples enjoyment already because people keep ending up in the same pointless loop on the same old subjects.

I know how you feel! it annoys me too when people bitch and moan that Fallout NV is just "Fallout 3.5", considering Fallout 3 was awesome, how is that a bad thing?

For me it's a bad thing because I don't like repetition in games. Awesome or not.

Silly me. Here I am coming to the thread to look for people's experiences playing the game and of course it's all about graphical comparisons. I wish there was a filter for that crap.

Silly me. Here I am coming to the thread to look for people's experiences playing the game and of course it's all about graphical comparisons. I wish there was a filter for that crap.

Yeah and it's a valid discussion, stop being such a drama Nancy and just go back an extra page.

I've done just that but nothing seems to change - here's a comparison.

First pic is default, second pic is fDefault1stPersonFOV=70.0000.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z184/shirike/Gaming/FalloutNV2010-10-2120-43-52-33.png

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z184/shirike/Gaming/FalloutNV2010-10-2120-48-33-25.png

All that seems to change is the amount of arm visible rather than an increased width of vision :/

That's because the FOV is bugged, because that's the only way to change the FOV, and if that's what you get, then it's bugged. I've changed mine but returned to original value because i'm happy with the default.

Anyone else getting buggy quest triggers?

So I get to New Vegas Strip, but decided I didn't really care for the whole meeting Mr House thing. So I continue on my way, find my "killer" and sneak in to his room. There I find Yes Man and get all the information about the chip and the machine at the Legion Fort. So I talk to the guy that shot me, agree to meet him in private, kill him and take the chip. I then kill a legion (covertly so I don't lose rep) and take his suit, then infiltrate the fort as one of them. I find the machine, killing some guards at the very end because they saw through my disguise. There I meet Mr House who tells me that the only way I could have gotten here was with Caeser's help. He says that the Legion must have found the chip on me and I must have fallen in cahoots with Caeser to get the chip back. He also talks as if I know him and whatever his plan is. The only conversation option I had was to agree/confess that that was the truth, even though I'd never met him or Caeser before. I'm so confused. Is that supposed to be what happens?

I went back to Lucky 38 to talk to House, but all his Robots were now hostile against me and when I got up to his suite his screen just showed "Connection Lost". I found a way to his body and killed him just for ****ing me off with his buggy quest triggers. I lost Karma, but it was worth it. I'm surprised I lost Karma though, from the brief conversations he had with me he seemed like a dick.

Also when I was speaking to Yes Man originally, he seemed to think I'd been inside Lucky 38 and talked to Mr House, even though I'm pretty certain I hadn't at that point.

Earlier I had to reload from a save a few times because once the NCR messenger tells me that the NCR ambassador wants to talk to me I instantly lose all reputation with them (i was at "liked", and even got a walkie talkie to call in backup from them) making meeting the ambassador thoroughly impossible, since any NCR starts shooting at me on sight. I had to reload, talk to the ambassador and get his quest before the messenger found me. That was the only way to avoid the instant rep loss.

The Sniper Rifle with the silencer mod is awesome. Great fun with high level of sneak. I infiltrated a Legion base and then hid behind boxes taking them out one by one and walked out of there with no rep loss at all. Ninjah!

Your arguing over a opinions which is taking up pages of yet another topic on here, agree to disagree and move past it as neither of you are going to change your minds, if you don't like the game for whatever reason, say so and move on, this forum has enough of people crapping on peoples enjoyment already because people keep ending up in the same pointless loop on the same old subjects.

Hush and go back to playing the game :p

We're not breaking any rules.

I'm disappointed at the lack of hair options, they seem overly to similar to those of FO3 and it seems like the only new Character Creation things added were a whole bunch of beards, lol.

I also don't really like the Leveling/Perk system, it was fun every level to choose some random perk in FO3, but now they have limited it to every other level, which I guess would be fine if it was the same amount as FO3, but there seem to be a bajillion more, and now instead of having a couple of fun perks while I play I am sticking to the most helpful ones which to me takes away some of the fun from the game.

But more importantly, Hats, needs more hats, hats are awesome.

Hush and go back to playing the game :p

We're not breaking any rules.

No, but your pooping on peoples enjoyment for a game I doubt you will ever play, I know what you did to Fallout 3 you dirty little cheater. :p

Fallout 2: 10/10

Fallout 3 GOTY: 7/10

Fallout : NV 8/10

I still miss Fallout 2-like game. F:NV is a good game, better than F3 in many ways. But for me it is still a fps shoother with rpg elelments, F2 was a true RPG game. F3 and F:NV are for console childrens. These games lack of emotions, hard choices etc. You can be the good or bad guy (girl). F3,F:NV are Oblivion-like hack & slash in slightly enchanced way.

No, but your pooping on peoples enjoyment for a game I doubt you will ever play, I know what you did to Fallout 3 you dirty little cheater. :p

Not my fault your feelings are hurt by the truth :p

I want to get into Fallout 3/NV, I've tried loads of times. It's just so ****ing drab though.

The Sniper Rifle with the silencer mod is awesome. Great fun with high level of sneak. I infiltrated a Legion base and then hid behind boxes taking them out one by one and walked out of there with no rep loss at all. Ninjah!

That what I'm aiming for in the game! I havent gotten that far in the game yet but id really love to get myself familiar with the weapon mod system. So far I'm clueless as how to use it (unless there's a point in the game when I'm able to do it and I haven't gotten there yet.)

That what I'm aiming for in the game! I havent gotten that far in the game yet but id really love to get myself familiar with the weapon mod system. So far I'm clueless as how to use it (unless there's a point in the game when I'm able to do it and I haven't gotten there yet.)

Same, I just started playing this morning and while I haven't even hit level 2 yet (only got about 30 minutes to play and decided to go through the tutorial), I was wondering how effective Stealth is later on in the game. I have always liked playing the type of classes (in games with classes) where I can hide and wait for the right time to strike. FO3 wasn't bad on this aspect, though they didn't seem to have many good weapons for it....it was either Pistols for their accuracy/damage up close, rifles for their damage and accuracy at medium range, or melee for silence. I always hated melee because the AI seems to turn enemies around at just the right moment to see you, and things always seem to move so fast if they notice you that rifles can be annoying (considering how loud rifles are, its not hard to alert enemies).

Based on Baines post, it seems like rifles (in this case, sniper rifles) are much more viable with silencers and what not in NV than they ever were in FO3....I think I can work on getting stealthy perks and what not and not worry too much about gimping my character later on.

This game is one hell of a lagfest.

yeah. i noticed there are many parts of that game that really get the frame rate down on the 360