[Official] Fallout New Vegas

No lag at all on my rig in signature.

for i7's you need to edit the ini files...

Or just see Spook's post above.

Yep. Nice to finish a Fallout game without someone spoiling it on me. :)

Found on GAF credit to Max over there:

er, you should calculate your FOV on a per system basis rather than an arbitrary figure?

Here is probably some good numbers to go off for your fov

4:3 - 79.9000

16:9 - 105.3000

15:9 - 99.0000

16:10 - 95.2000

gotted from here. I know it is for Fallout 3 but it is the same engine, so it should apply to New Vegas too.

http://www.widescree...pic.php?t=14798

@metal_dragen, probably the reason for no console patches yet is because it has to go through some strict QA before they are released. Xbox especially.

Yep. Nice to finish a Fallout game without someone spoiling it on me. :)

Found on GAF credit to Max over there:

NICE!

i'd love to just go through the story without doing side missions but it always sucks me into it...

Has anyone played it in hardcore mode yet?

I'm thinking about doing it after beating it the first time..

According to the BethBlog, there's no ETA for this update for 360/PS3 owners. Given the reports of bugs and crashes in the reviews, I'm surprised there wasn't a day one patch for all platforms.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271048

While it's harder to fix bugs on consoles, on PC, community can fix them. So my guess is that Bethesda should focus more on Consoles rather than PC, sure it's frustrating to buy a game and not being able to play it, but like i said community can fix it (PC) like they did with Oblivion and Fallout 3.

For PC users:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/categories.php

do we mark fallout.ini as unread to edit then read only afterwards?

I made the above changes but after launching the game it reset to default.

and which fov value do we change? There's several. I changed fDefaultFOV and nothing changed

do we mark fallout.ini as unread to edit then read only afterwards?

To edit and save you need to un-check Read-Only, when you run the launcher it will set to read only again. But you won't need to change that file.

I made the above changes but after launching the game it reset to default.

and which fov value do we change? There's several. I changed fDefaultFOV and nothing changed

There's been a misunderstanding around since Fallout 3, the file Fallout.ini it's NOT the one people should change, but FalloutPrefs instead, at least it's what works for me, since Fallout 3.

So, if you want to make any kind of Tweak use FalloutPrefs.ini and not Fallout.ini, see if it works.

Also, there's more than one FOV value, you can also put the Pipboy a bit far from your face and see the arm:

Default (Close)

fPipboy1stPersonFOV=47.0

Arm + Pipboy:

fPipboy1stPersonFOV=58.0

or higher, that depends on how you like it more.

Now for the player:

fDefaultFOV=75.0000

fDefault1stPersonFOV=55.0000

Tweaked, now it will depend on what resolution you use:

fDefaultFOV=85.0000

fDefault1stPersonFOV=70.0000

Or higher.

Well, the pipboy one worked but when I changed the fov for the default and 1stperson views his arms looked about 10 miles long :/ and I couldn't see any further either side :/

Think the guide someone posted above is a bit off

Well, the pipboy one worked but when I changed the fov for the default and 1stperson views his arms looked about 10 miles long :/ and I couldn't see any further either side :/

Think the guide someone posted above is a bit off

lol, well that depends on the size of your monitor too. Try lowering the value, do increments of 5 from the default value.

I've done just that but nothing seems to change - here's a comparison.

First pic is default, second pic is fDefault1stPersonFOV=70.0000.

FalloutNV2010-10-2120-43-52-33.png

FalloutNV2010-10-2120-48-33-25.png

All that seems to change is the amount of arm visible rather than an increased width of vision :/

finally got to play New Vegas last night :) overall it's great! very happy with it (even happier I practically got it half price off Steam!) however, for a game that runs on the same engine as FO3 it runs like crap on my computer :/ (FO3 ran great). When I'm indoors it's smooth as butter but soon as I'm outside, it's almost a slideshow (regardless of the settings). So haven't played it much because of that....hopefully I can tweak it abit more and get it to run better....but overall it left a good first impression (Y) (aside from the performance issues of cause).

Yeah it's really sad that an engine this old (and so well known and so used by the industry) has such performance issues in NV.

BTW, is it just me, or does Wayne Newton look like he's a cyborg now, sent back in time to kill John Connor? Ugh, so much plastic surgery and botox. If he goes near a microwave his face probably melts.

Really busy day yesterday so I thought I would sit down and have a look at Fallout New Vegas. Which for some reason I keep calling it "Fallout Vegas" I knew about the changes that have been made to the engine and the graphics are just amazingly awesome as I expected to be from the first instalment. I started the game all fine and the start of the game is just mind blowing awesome. "I'm saying awesome way too much?" anyway, the game itself compared with Fallout 3 is much better, crisp and clear landscape with breath taking scenery. The start of the game is really good tells you the story,about yourself and so forth, I did notice a Barrett M82 Sniper Rifle which looks a lot different from Fallout 3 I'm wondering if this is a slightly different model. There are some noticeable bugs, more importantly is with dialogue, on the Steam version, when you are about to get waked by what looks to a mobster, the dialogue is like a badly edited martial arts movie. On a scale of 1/10 I would easily place this at 8.5/10 mainly because there are a few bugs which need to be sorted, with Bethesda's reputation with patching games.

Just read something interesting here looks like Bethesda are working their butts of to patch things up... I haven't experienced any problems as of yet. My Steam installation was smooth with no problems, it has not crashed as of yet, although I defragged and made sure all my drivers were up to date before I installed the game, which is something people tend to forget, All my stuff is up to date and not experienced any issues apart from minor dialogue issues. Bethesda Support Forum here and Bethesda blog here Steam will probably follow suite soon.

NICE!

i'd love to just go through the story without doing side missions but it always sucks me into it...

Has anyone played it in hardcore mode yet?

I'm thinking about doing it after beating it the first time..

Ive been playing on hardcore. Have to say its not that difficult. Just eat, drink, sleep (only occasionally, ive only slept once) and only carry the ammo types you need. Other than that it feels like fallout 3.

/startrant

Stop whining that the game feels like a Fallout 3 addon :angry:

Fallout 3 was a brilliant game and I for one am glad the game feels exactly the same - there's enough new stuff to keep me happy and I'm glad there's a whole new weird world to explore.

/endrant

One word to describe this game (apart from maybe "buggy")...

BROWN

:no:

Somebody has to carry the brown torch. In the mid to late 90s it was Quake and Quake II. Now it's Fallout 3/NV's turn :).

It doesn't bother me too much, though. Fallout 3 was a pretty ugly game in general (the character models contributed to this above all else), but it's fun enough to make those flaws forgivable in my eyes.

And the world turns brown after a nuclear apocalypse? ... No.

Care to tell me of your personal experience of post-nuclear apocalypses? :p

The drabness has a purpose - it makes the living parts of the world that much more vibrant. The overall atmosphere of the game has to whisper deprivation and monotonousness suffering. And nothing is more monotonousness than brown.

Except maybe Justin Bieber.

Care to tell me of your personal experience of post-nuclear apocalypses? :p

The drabness has a purpose - it makes the living parts of the world that much more vibrant. The overall atmosphere of the game has to whisper deprivation and monotonousness suffering. And nothing is more monotonousness than brown.

Except maybe Justin Bieber.

Care to share YOUR personal experience?

It does not look good and the brown wasn't used to create an effect, it was used because it's part of the current-gen brown filter to mask crappy textures, jaggied edges and poor geometry. If you really want to create an atmosphere that fits, they'd sway more towards the killzone look yet still keep the original colours of road textures and everything that doesn't come in brown as standard. Atmosphere is create by sound and excellent use of effects, not slapping a filter on top. So no, defending this game's brown filter with nuclear apocalypse doesn't work ... the brown filter doesn't work anywhere and developers need to stop using it.

A skilled developer knows how to create an atmosphere without slapping cheap filters on top.