Boy Scouts tell gay leader to take a hike

(CNN) -- The father of a 9-year-old Cub Scout said Tuesday he has been forced out of a leadership role with the organization and ordered not to wear its uniform because of his sexual orientation.

Jon Langbert of Dallas, Texas, who is openly gay, told HLN's "Prime News" that he had been wearing the shirt the Scouts gave him last year with pride. The shirt identified him as a member of the leadership team that was selling popcorn for a Scout fundraiser.

But that all changed last week. "Everything was running along smoothly until some of the dads complained," he said. When the complaints rose to a higher level of the Scout leadership, he was asked to stop wearing the shirt and give up his leadership role, he said.

A Scout Circle Ten Council official said Langbert was never registered as a leader in the first place.

"We do have a policy that avowed gays and atheists are not allowed to be a registered leader or member of Boy Scouts of America," said Pat Currie, Scout executive with the Circle Ten Council. "It's a longstanding policy."

more

Looked normal news, something spun out untill this.....

"We do have a policy that avowed gays and atheists are not allowed to be a registered leader or member of Boy Scouts of America," said Pat Currie, Scout executive with the Circle Ten Council. "It's a longstanding policy."

This is going to start problems....

any why is this news? The boy scouts do not allow gays or atheist and have stood firm on this.

They are a private club, and have their own rules. This is nothing more then junk news.

This is not going to start anything but a bunch of crap by non-members telling the boy scouts what to do. Pesonally, I am glad the boy scouts don't care and will stand there ground, as they have been.

any why is this news? The boy scouts do not allow gays or atheist and have stood firm on this.

They are a private club, and have their own rules. This is nothing more then junk news.

This is not going to start anything but a bunch of crap by non-members telling the boy scouts what to do. Pesonally, I am glad the boy scouts don't care and will stand there ground, as they have been.

They are a private club but have to abide by human rights laws ... at least here in Canada you could potentially sue for discrimination. I know that is a bit extreme but this news sickens me that there are still people so closed minded they cannot accept someone because of their sexual orientation or beliefs. Pathetic really.

any why is this news? This is nothing more then junk news.

Ask the CNN editors. :laugh:

Apparently the topic brings out the grammar mistakes -- hehe.

I'm sure all the boys would have become little flaming gays, had this 'leader' not been outed. LOL

Agreed........though I am an atheist, I was a boy scout many years ago. But that was before I even really knew what atheism was and all. If its in their rules that gays and atheists are not allowed, then why is this news? Last time I checked a private organization has a right to not only have its own rules (that fall within laws, obviously), but also enforce them (as long as they fall in line with laws). If a private organization has a rule against gays and atheists, then so be it.

Last time I checked a private organization has a right to not only have its own rules (that fall within laws, obviously), but also enforce them (as long as they fall in line with laws).

The exception being if they get any sort of public funding at all. Then I don't think they should be allowed.

Personally I believe it to be wrong that private organisations are allowed to break equality laws.

I agree - it does seem unfair but if they're not getting any public funds it's well within their rights I suppose.

Personally I believe it to be wrong that private organisations are allowed to break equality laws.

Why I guess you'll be wanting girls in the boy scouts too... seeing as girls and boys are "equal"? :p

There are already Girl Scouts and have been for some time.

I think you missed the point I was making... not that it was entirely serious anyway :rofl:

Why I guess you'll be wanting girls in the boy scouts too... seeing as girls and boys are "equal"? :p

I gather you where joking from the :p but if you where looking for a serious response, personally I would say that if Girl and Boy scouts are separated for reasons of tailored activities (which I guess they are?) then that separation is valid. However refusing Atheist and Gay people just for being Atheist and Gay is bigoted.

Does a 9 year old really even know if he's gay?

This particular case is about one of the leaders, not one of the kids. I doubt a 9 year old would really know if he was gay, but an adult/leader certainly would.

allowing athiests and gays sort of breaks the scout oath... which has been a central theme in it since the beginning

Scout Oath

On my honor, I will do my best

To do my duty to God and my country;

To obey the Scout Law;

To help other people at all times;

To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

besides. what would scouting be if they allowed gays? a bunch of guys (some of whom are gay) having weekends away in cramped tents far away from women and all judgement. Scouting would die for it or just become an exclusively gay club because no straight person would either A) want to be part of it or B) allow their children to be part of it.

I have a question to all those who agree with this policy on gays in the Boy Scouts:

If they came out and said "Blacks are not welcome!", who you feel the same way? Being they are a 'private organization' and all.

To me, discrimination is discrimination and should not be tolerated. Are people thinking a gay scout leader is going to abuse the kids? I assume they run background checks on scout leaders. Or is it more along the lines of maybe the scout leader will 'infect' their kids with "Gayness" by talking about it?

Gimme a break. I never "chose" to be hetero. I just am.

Christ, people spend way too much time obsessing about other people's sexuality. If you're that insecure in your own sexuality, please seek help. ;)

Ah, it is private. Thought boy scouts were public. Mistake on my part :)

But besides that, on a side note, many here defend the organizations' acts by saying "its their club and they set the rules".

You cant have a (legal) club for example setting of the rule of you have to rape someone to be inside the club. This is pretty much borderline legal.

allowing athiests and gays sort of breaks the scout oath... which has been a central theme in it since the beginning

Scout Oath

On my honor, I will do my best

To do my duty to God and my country;

To obey the Scout Law;

To help other people at all times;

To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

besides. what would scouting be if they allowed gays? a bunch of guys (some of whom are gay) having weekends away in cramped tents far away from women and all judgement. Scouting would die for it or just become an exclusively gay club because no straight person would either A) want to be part of it or B) allow their children to be part of it.

I believe the morally straight more refers to being a good citizen (ie. not stealing, helping people, contributing to society) not sexual orientation.

Also the Law:

A scout is:

Trustworthy

Loyal

Helpful

Friendly

Courteous

Kind

Obedient

Cheerful

Thrifty

Brave

Clean

Reverent

People can argue that Reverent could be either a love for a god... OR just a act of showing respect.

I'm an Eagle Scout, and remember there being a few people who were Muslim, Hindu and a family of Buddhists. We probably had 60 boys in our troop.