Mac OS X Lion Discussion

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the major Mac developers have some kind of internal alpha/beta releases that are being tested with Lion builds right now.

I just hope it's something developers take advantage of. If not, then going fullscreen won't be any different than going fullscreen in Linux or Windows. But the problem is that with a lot of applications, I can't think of any reason why going fullscreen would need a slightly different UI or layout. I'm curious to see what some companies, such as Panic, are going to do with fullscreen modes in applications like Transmit. Maybe they'll not have a fullscreen mode at all.

In Panic's case, I think Coda (or any IDE for that matter) could do really well with a full-screen mode. Transmit, eh...it could work, but I don't see the point. Maybe Panic will find a cool use for it though. :p

That's what I'm getting at. For many applications, it just seems like there would be little need for a special fullscreen UI, thus developers will either just maximize the existing window or not use it at all.

I've noticed Safari doesn't really change in fullscreen mode, it just hides the toolbars by default. Perhaps most applications will adopt behavior like that.

That's what I'm getting at. For many applications, it just seems like there would be little need for a special fullscreen UI, thus developers will either just maximize the existing window or not use it at all.

I've noticed Safari doesn't really change in fullscreen mode, it just hides the toolbars by default. Perhaps most applications will adopt behavior like that.

Or have no full screen at all.

Safari doesn?t really need it, but is long time criticized for having no full-screen mode, they didn?t have a choice to make it available.

Other big-ass apps like Final Cut, Pixelmator, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, iWork, iLife, maybe even iTunes, will benefit from having a full-screen mode !

Safari doesn?t really need it, but is long time criticized for having no full-screen mode, they didn?t have a choice to make it available.

On large screens, I agree. But on my Air (11.6") it does help a bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the major Mac developers have some kind of internal alpha/beta releases that are being tested with Lion builds right now.

Of course, but obviously you won't see Mac OS X Lion-only features in public third-party releases just yet.

+1

Even on my 13" air I like it. I LOVE the new full screen mode for Xcode!! Finally something to keep me from going to the dock and clicking on Firefox to check something for "1 second"..... and two hours later decide I'm too tired to code lol

Since the most recent build, it's been quite stable for me. The only crashes I encountered were likely related to buggy plug-ins.

That's what I thought : built-in uninstaller.

However, holding an app make them "jiggle", but I don't see any X button to click on. Maybe it's because I have it in French?

No, i's because the apps that do not have the x weren't bought in the Mac Appstore.

Is it just me, or does Safari tend to crash a lot?

Safari has been stable for me too.

Full screen mode can be useful, especially on computers with low screen resolution. On my 27" Cinema Display I don't need it.

+1

Even on my 13" air I like it. I LOVE the new full screen mode for Xcode!! Finally something to keep me from going to the dock and clicking on Firefox to check something for "1 second"..... and two hours later decide I'm too tired to code lol

That sounds awesome, I hadn't seen anything about XCode having a full screen mode before.

I don't own a Mac or anything, but I sometimes browse through the pages in this thread just to see the screenshots of the amazing Aqua UI.

I'm jealous. :laugh:

MAC OS X has it's silly moments too, but overall it's pretty awesome

can i normally run lion dp2 on my mac and be able to run most of the software right now, like AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Photoshop, etc...

I haven?t tried to install a lot of software on DP2, but I remember a lot of apps crashed on start with DP1.

If I rephrase your question as "Can I run Lion DP2 as my main OS", then answer is a big no. They focus on making it run XCode properly only. There?s way too many things to fix, every app is unstable right now. I suspect they?re holding a branch internally that will be released at WWDC and will include a bunch of new features and fix all of this.

So, I've noticed that with the new Downloads sheet in Safari, if you have it visible on the toolbar at all times, it will prevent the separate Downloads window from appearing. This was a complaint I long had about Safari, and I'm glad to see it's being addressed.

MAC OS X has it's silly moments too, but overall it's pretty awesome

iCal *shudder* :s

So, I've noticed that with the new Downloads sheet in Safari, if you have it visible on the toolbar at all times, it will prevent the separate Downloads window from appearing. This was a complaint I long had about Safari, and I'm glad to see it's being addressed.

I don't really get though why a similar progress bar won't appear on top of the Safari Dock icon though. The App Store has it, Safari seems like a logical candidate as well... Hopefully in the next update or Safari 6.

The only thing I can see myself disabling in the new Lion OS is airdrop, seems like something that could be abused

The only thing I can see myself disabling in the new Lion OS is airdrop, seems like something that could be abused

Wow, that's like a main selling point to me! :D

well if it works over the internet, it could be like IRC file sharing all over again....viruses up the wazoo, not to mention that it leaves a connection open all the time your mac is running to listen for airdrop requests

Now that I've gotten used to the "All My Files" functionality in Finder, I like it. The Lion Finder, in general, is still a bit confusing in that it seems to want to default to not real organization (you have to turn on an arranging option, then from there you can do sorting), but once you get it set up how you want it, it's nice. When you have hundreds of files in "All My Files" view, you can either expand just the type of file you want (images, documents, etc.) and everything else is hidden in a Cover Flow-like fashion.

It was weird at first but now I get how it works and I'm liking it. There are also some subtle animations when using the spring-loaded folders feature of the Finder.

The Lion Finder, in general, is still a bit confusing in that it seems to want to default to not real organization

That's a trend you've been seeing in Mac OS X for a while now, starting with iTunes, then the rest of iLife and Spotlight. Manual file management is kind of archaic when you think of it, although without doubt it still has its uses.

That's a trend you've been seeing in Mac OS X for a while now, starting with iTunes, then the rest of iLife and Spotlight. Manual file management is kind of archaic when you think of it, although without doubt it still has its uses.

See, what I find slightly confusing in the Lion Finder is that if you want to have the system arrange your files automatically, you have to trigger it in two places:

post-119000-0-74702000-1305109392.png

That's greyed out, and you can't use it until you go into the menu to the right...

post-119000-0-83613900-1305109393.png

If you don't do this, the default is to have no organization, you just move the files wherever you want and there's no grid, although you can "Clean up."

This isn't really new behavior, but it seems like there's an extra step. Before, in Snow Leopard, you have the same default behavior but just had to secondary click and go to "Arrange By ->" But now in Lion, you have to first tell the system you want a certain order of organization, then do the arrange command.

My Mac OS X Lion installation hardly carries any files, so I haven't really looked into it. So when it comes to this specific thing, I can't really comment yet. It just seems that Apple is aggressively moving towards a model where folder management will become obsolete. That's what I was getting at.

Another inconsistency with the latest DP build is that the active tab is now a darker color and depressed, when in previous Mac OS X releases, this indicated an inactive tab. The problem is some applications, such as Safari, continue to use the old UI, so the OS is contradictory. I'm not sure if this is something Apple plans to change, but ti seems like it would make sense to revert to the old UI, as most people are probably more likely to association a depressed area of UI as inactive.