Mac OS X Lion Discussion

The active tab being dark and depressed corresponds with toolbar buttons, a design we have had for a while now. Safari's tabs are an inconsistency here, but a logical one considering the active tab has the same color as the rest of the window chrome. To me that makes sense.

At some point you'll have to accept not everything will be 100% consistent because it doesn't always work for different things.

well if it works over the internet, it could be like IRC file sharing all over again....viruses up the wazoo, not to mention that it leaves a connection open all the time your mac is running to listen for airdrop requests

From what I understand (I haven't used Lion myself) it works directly between Macs without going through a router or the internet at all.

From what I understand (I haven't used Lion myself) it works directly between Macs without going through a router or the internet at all.

It does go through your router (works over your network; no proximity magic happening here)Apparently, it does use ad hoc networking, but it doesn't go over the Internet. AirDrop is purely a local network thing, and it's only enabled when you have AirDrop selected and waiting for files in the Finder. Once you close the AirDrop finder window or choose another location in your Finder sidebar, AirDrop will stop listening.

It does go through your router (works over your network; no proximity magic happening here), but it doesn't go over the Internet. AirDrop is purely a local network thing, and it's only enabled when you have AirDrop selected and waiting for files in the Finder. Once you close the AirDrop finder window or choose another location in your Finder sidebar, AirDrop will stop listening.

thats wierd. read this ages ago in a preview on engadget:

One of Lion's niftiest new features is AirDrop, which allows quick and easy file transfers between WiFi-equipped Macs. Opening the AirDrop panel in the Finder makes your machine discoverable to other machines with AirDrop open, and swapping files is as simple as dragging and confirming. Although it uses WiFi, you don't need a router to use it -- the WiFi chips in most newer Macs are able to rapidly switch back and forth between AirDrop and a standard network connection. Apple hasn't said what the oldest machine with AirDrop support is, but we get the feeling even machines that are several years old will be able to use the feature.

Source

will have to try it with the router switched off and see what happens.

Source

It's not saying that it will work over the internet. What the article is saying is that two macs can see each other ad-hoc without having to be connected to a common router

Source

Oh, wow, I didn't realize that. I figured it was using standard Bonjour networking over whatever network you were connected to at the time. That's very cool though.

Downloading DP3 right now, apparently a lot of changes have been made since DP2 (and it's minor updates in between.)

There are some new options when secondary clicking on the Desktop:

post-119000-0-39724400-1305334544.png

post-119000-0-43478400-1305334545.png

post-119000-0-47567600-1305334546.png

Before you could just "Clean Up," now you have more options about how to clean up. I also assume the "Snap ToGrid" is a typo.

Anyone else's sound completely Borked? Only plays on an error note or if you quickview a sound file. iTunes doesn't open either =/

Expected though, given the situation.

Apparently the build has been pulled though?

thank goodness, they brought back the bookmark bar in fullscreen mode in safari, it was annoying before.

Launchpad feels nearly finished in this build.

It does for me. Format and reinstall.

Yeah, i've done that - same thing, which 2011 MacBook Pro model you have? Mine is the base 13" one.

Thanks.

Yeah, i've done that - same thing, which 2011 MacBook Pro model you have? Mine is the base 13" one.

Thanks.

Same model with RAM replaced myself. Try installing DP2 and then software update to DP3?

Same model with RAM replaced myself. Try installing DP2 and then software update to DP3?

I tried both ways, very strange.. "CPU(s) failed to respond to interrupts, unresponsive CPU bitmap' - My MBP has stock hardware, :s.

I tried both ways, very strange.. "CPU(s) failed to respond to interrupts, unresponsive CPU bitmap' - My MBP has stock hardware, :s.

Make sure you boot into 10.6, extract the panic report and send it into Apple with Radar!

Make sure you boot into 10.6, extract the panic report and send it into Apple with Radar!

Yep, grabbed a copy, ran Hardware test and no problem was found!

My Software Update application says everything is up-to-date.

I can't get my hands on DP3 :huh:

I also don't have the "Downloads" button in Safari toolbar and there's no way to see it. Maybe my install is messed up and that would explain a few of my complainings...

By the way I am really surprised to see a new build with a few new features, I would have expected DP3+Major new features at WWDC. I guess it's going to be a DP4 then.

Anyways, from all I've seen, it's looking really great and professional, now I can't wait to see if they fixed everything.

post-43201-0-04920900-1305392730.png

I don't think DP3 is being pushed through Software Update.

It is, but apparently for some reason Apple have pulled it for people that have the Lion server extra installed.

I don't think DP3 is being pushed through Software Update.

I had to come into work for a little while today, but before I started my MacBook installing DP3 from Software Update.

Yeah, you guys are right. I read something else on another forum. Downloading it now through Software Update. (Y)

The new login screen and login animation look really nice. Still a bit rough around the edges, but nice nonetheless.

I don't see a Mission Control preference pane though in System Preferences... :/