Got WP7 - Neowin wants to hear from you!

Where did you read that? Can't spot anything from a quick google.

Had to source this from my Outlook's massive RSS database, but anyways; http://pocketnow.com/thought/why-twitter-is-not-integrated-with-windows-phone-7

Essentially, it's not so much that Twitter have actively blocked MS doing it, but a TOS change to Twitter back in June stops MS from integrating it into the Windows Live services (and hence WP7). It's a legal issue, and not something a high-profile company like MS can just sidestep, although they are working with Twitter in various areas so they should be able to resolve the issue.

Had to source this from my Outlook's massive RSS database, but anyways; http://pocketnow.com/thought/why-twitter-is-not-integrated-with-windows-phone-7

Essentially, it's not so much that Twitter have actively blocked MS doing it, but a TOS change to Twitter back in June stops MS from integrating it into the Windows Live services (and hence WP7). It's a legal issue, and not something a high-profile company like MS can just sidestep, although they are working with Twitter in various areas so they should be able to resolve the issue.

But FaceBook integration isn't done via Live? It's possible, but not mandatory.

My FB account isn't associated with my LiveID, they're just aggregated on my handset, contacts linked at the device based on name matches.

Why would Twitter need to be any different?

Seriously? I don't have this problem. Perhaps the devices are faulty? Colors look beautiful here on the HTC Trophy 7, much better than the AMOLED equipped Android I had too!

Drafts seem to work for me...

Just to uh, make sure, try these two images on you're computer and then you're phone (or anyone else with a device, just to make sure I'm not crazy :p) Make sure you zoom into to normal size with a double tap!

http://www.graphic-d...color_wheel.jpg

http://upload.wikime...radient.svg.png

http://www.rvalkass....olour-wheel.jpg

Being colour gradients they exacerbate the issue a bit, but there should be visible colour banding / lack of colour depth on them. I also tend to notice it easier on my Omnia7 than the Mozart, maybe due to it's more vivid colours (They both show the same banding throughout though). It's fine in most areas of the OS, seeing as there's not exactly a large colour pallet going out, and colours are nice and bright and vivid, but it gets occasionally noticeable in photos, or when web browsing and video/movie watching.

Out of interest, how are you getting the drafts to work?? :p I looked around again, but everytime I back out of a message I'm writing and then go back into it the message is gone :pinch:

Yep, I see the same banding on my handset, though I don't notice it outside of those tests.

It's not really noticeable most of the time because most of the OS and the app's don't have a need for that many colours, it's just noticeable on things that are meant to be really colourful and vibrant, like games and photos & videos :p.Today's marketplace background for the music section for example (still Cheryl Cole), you should be able to notice it on that too. You can notice it on a few of the photos & wall papers that come with the OS too. That's how I initially notcied it about 2 minutes into owning my device - the default wallpaper that Orange applied, if you actually take a look it it, has banding all over the place :p

1) What device did you get? HTC Mozart

2) How long have you had it for? 2 weeks

3) What are your top 3 features/'hits'? OS Performance, xbox live, FB integration

4) What are your top 3 'misses'? IE rendering is sub-par, can't replace search to use google, lack of interesting apps

5) Anything else you want to say? Love the performance so far, can scan through 1000's photos without a problem. The stack used for 'back' actually works properly. I do miss androids google maps

6) What app is your favo(u)rite so far? Does xbox live extras count? If not IMDB is a brilliant example of an app should look & function

1) What device did you get? Samsung Focus

2) How long have you had it for? 1 day

3) What are your top 3 features/'hits'? Zune/Zune Pass Integration, Xbox Live, Speed/Snappiness

4) What are your top 3 'misses'? Theme choices, easier way to initialize memory (hardware problem probably), WLMessenger/FB chat?

5) Anything else you want to say? I have been unable to initialize my 32GB microSD card... just sits in "download mode" forever

6) What app is your favo(u)rite so far? Netflix

P.S. Has anyone been able to initialize their microSD card in the Focus? I need this to work to sync my music, videos, and photos...

Check and double check your MicroSD is seated properly. They're extremely easy to get in and not connect. Take it out push it in, and make sure it's good.

That reminds me, did I miss something or is it only possibly to download zune pass content from the PC app? Presuming I've missed an option somewhere.

You have to press and hold on the album/song you want, and then press download. Don't why they've hidden it in a context menu, but there you go! :p

You have to press and hold on the album/song you want, and then press download. Don't why they've hidden it in a context menu, but there you go! :p

Probably so that you can download Zune content on the handset, but that so most of the time you don't download Zune content on the handset. It's going to chew through data networks pretty badly if people go mad downloading albums on their phones. Not to mention seriously affecting the battery life. There's a few decent reasons why you should be able to do it, but shouldn't make a habit of it. I think the hidden option is probably a fair approach :)

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the dell, don't know when I'll get it but I'll let you know when that finally happens.

I also have to change my phone from the prepaid sim setup I use now to one with data etc. Hope I don't have to wait forever.

Probably so that you can download Zune content on the handset, but that so most of the time you don't download Zune content on the handset. It's going to chew through data networks pretty badly if people go mad downloading albums on their phones. Not to mention seriously affecting the battery life. There's a few decent reasons why you should be able to do it, but shouldn't make a habit of it. I think the hidden option is probably a fair approach :)

I think the main issue we have with it, is regardless of whether we own a Zune Pass or not, the Zune Marketplace on the device only appears to show the option to buy it all with real money - go on to the album page and it'll happily throw prices in your face and have a nice big button to let you pay for the music and then download it, but there's no button or information to download it for free on your Zune Pass - you have to tap and hold to open up the context menu first, something I gather most people probably won't realise pinch.gif

Ship date for my Dell in the UK is the 16th, should have it the 17th. Probably a similar date in Greece, but your mileage may vary.

Did you order online from Clove like I did? It's a sure thing I won't get it that fast, I'm hoping it's like a week or so, I dunno. I didn't manage to contact my bank in time today when I placed the order to get that security auth code they need me to email back, I'll have to do that tomorrow.

Check and double check your MicroSD is seated properly. They're extremely easy to get in and not connect. Take it out push it in, and make sure it's good.

Hmm... I guess I'll try it again, but I've already re-seated it a couple of times... Do we know exactly what the "Download Mode" does on the Samsung handsets? I mean, is it formatting the card/NAND memory or waiting for something else to happen?

I checked the microSD card in my PC and it seems to be fine.

Hmm... I guess I'll try it again, but I've already re-seated it a couple of times... Do we know exactly what the "Download Mode" does on the Samsung handsets? I mean, is it formatting the card/NAND memory or waiting for something else to happen?

I checked the microSD card in my PC and it seems to be fine.

As far as I can tell 'Download Mode' is somehow related to the bootloader. It's likely it's doing format operations and otherwise setting up the card & the phone for using the storage. Things you might want to do - stick the card in your computer (with appropriate reader) or another phone, see if it can format the card. On Windows, you want to do a full format (not quick format) as fat32 (WP7 will reformat to TexFAT anyway). What could be going on is you have unfortunately recieved a duff MicroSD card. Where did you get it from?

The biggest con on selling MicroSD cards is selling a 4 or 8GB capacity card with fudged partitions as a 32GB card. The card will appear to have 32GB on it and will function fine until it hits the limit of whatever its actual capacity is, at which point it will throw an error. Fully formatting the card causes the entire capacity to be checked and will highlight any problems. If you sourced your card from Ebay, Amazon Marketplace, or anywhere but a reputable seller with a known brand (such as Kingston, Sandisk, Transcend etc), you could have a dodgy card.

Did you order online from Clove like I did? It's a sure thing I won't get it that fast, I'm hoping it's like a week or so, I dunno. I didn't manage to contact my bank in time today when I placed the order to get that security auth code they need me to email back, I'll have to do that tomorrow.

Yeah, ordered from Clove, paid a teeny bit extra for next day courier serivce, so I should have it on the 17th. Of course, getting one to Greece will take a bit longer. I put my order in on the 20th October, the minute it hit their website, so if it's first-come first-served, I'm hopeful I'm one of those first-come :)

As far as I can tell 'Download Mode' is somehow related to the bootloader. It's likely it's doing format operations and otherwise setting up the card & the phone for using the storage. Things you might want to do - stick the card in your computer (with appropriate reader) or another phone, see if it can format the card. On Windows, you want to do a full format (not quick format) as fat32 (WP7 will reformat to TexFAT anyway). What could be going on is you have unfortunately recieved a duff MicroSD card. Where did you get it from?

The biggest con on selling MicroSD cards is selling a 4 or 8GB capacity card with fudged partitions as a 32GB card. The card will appear to have 32GB on it and will function fine until it hits the limit of whatever its actual capacity is, at which point it will throw an error. Fully formatting the card causes the entire capacity to be checked and will highlight any problems. If you sourced your card from Ebay, Amazon Marketplace, or anywhere but a reputable seller with a known brand (such as Kingston, Sandisk, Transcend etc), you could have a dodgy card.

Well, as soon as I get home I'll try formatting it on my pc, I did check the card, and it saw the full 29.7GB or whatever of space available. It's a SanDisk card, purchased directly from Amazon. I'll post back tonight after I try the full format. For now I'm leaving the phone in the download mode while I'm here at work.... crossing my fingers it might just take it a long time :) Thanks for the advice

For what it's worth, it might just take quite a long time. Formatting a 32GB hard drive (full format) on a computer isn't the quickest business, and you're doing it on a phone, which is significantly less powerful, and on a MicroSDHC card which is significantly slower than a hard drive. I've got a feeling it will just take a long long time to do. MS didn't want MSDHC slots on phones for a reason :)

For what it's worth, it might just take quite a long time. Formatting a 32GB hard drive (full format) on a computer isn't the quickest business, and you're doing it on a phone, which is significantly less powerful, and on a MicroSDHC card which is significantly slower than a hard drive. I've got a feeling it will just take a long long time to do. MS didn't want MSDHC slots on phones for a reason :)

Ha, yeah I know... that's why I'm hoping... it's been going for about an hour now 2 hours now.

If they would have given us 32GB+ (preferably 64GB :woot: ) of NAND memory I wouldn't be having this problem... I would have gladly paid more :)

Ha, yeah I know... that's why I'm hoping... it's been going for about an hour now.

If they would have given us 32GB+ (preferably 64GB :woot: ) of NAND memory I wouldn't be having this problem... I would have gladly paid more :)

I think it'll be only a matter of time before we start to see 32GB and maybe a few 64GB WP7 devices with internal NAND storage. Seeing how they're pushing the Xbox Live games and Zune media parts, those are two things that will fill up 8 and 16GB quick.

Do you think if I use the "Reset Device" feature from within the OS, it will initialize the microSD card?

UPDATE: Yes it does. Sweet. All's well here :)

Do you think if I use the "Reset Device" feature from within the OS, it will initialize the microSD card?

can u use microSD cards on the HD7?

can u use microSD cards on the HD7?

Yes and no. The HD7 uses a MicroSD for its 'internal' storage. It has a MicroSD slot but it is no way intended to be user-accessible. You will void your warranty by replacing the card, but for what it's worth, you can.

Excellent, that's great news Chsoriano :)

Yes and no. The HD7 uses a MicroSD for its 'internal' storage. It has a MicroSD slot but it is no way intended to be user-accessible. You will void your warranty by replacing the card, but for what it's worth, you can.

Interesting... Is it easy to replace? Like how do you do it?