Windows 7 Will Kill XP Ahead of Windows 8, It

that attack i menitoned actually didn't afect windows vista or 7 users at all. it was targeted at xp.

what exploit or vulnerability did it take advantage of? And like most exploits i'm guessing it came out once the vulnerability was already discovered and people didn't patch their OS? (see my argument you can cure stupid)

You're still not bringing any actual facts to your argument. you have to be daft as **** if you think windows 7 can't be infected by keyloggers

and not my fault your grammar is bad, like your sig says "i have no excuse for my poor english though!"

Please name these features.

Clearly you have never used the KDE desktop, or Mint Linux. They both have the same functionality. Once again, your ignorance shows through. Try using Linux next time before making these wild claims.

Again, you've never used compiz. Most of the features of aero are copied directly from it lol. So all the praise you're heaping on them should be directed at compiz ;)

Haha. That made me chuckle. I don't even need to reply to this one. Here, I'll let this video speak for me:

Huh? C# is no where near as popular as C, C++, Java, Python, Ruby, etc. For one thing it's mainly windows based. The only people who code in C# are the ones who use Visual Studio. Sorry to burst your bubble.

1. Compiz was an Aero rip-off. It was copied from the Longhorn ideas. Even then Compiz is no where near as beautiful as Aero.

2. Productivity on Windows 7 is 100 times much better than that on Linux.

3. C# is the most popular language among developers right now.

capturekct.png

Except most wouldn't know to type that.

No, everyone knows that except Luddites who use either XP or Linux.

2. Productivity on Windows 7 is 100 times much better than that on Linux.

why? Never used a modern KDE or Gnome system, multitasking is pretty easy to do in those systems. Things like multiple desktops do wonders for programmers and web developpers.

and obviously c++ is the most used, it's what windows is based of and that's what the majority of the world uses

insaneh.jpg

Lot of loonies out there.

I have said it before. Let me repeat:

It's a completely wrong perception that XP has about 60% market share, while almost 90% sources claim it has around 45% market share. Only NetApplication puts XP on a 59% markets share, because it puts too much weight on millions of pirated Chinese users. I have recently seen a stat that in China more than 50% users still use IE6. I think they live in a completely different universe as compared to the rest of the world. So, what these users use on their pirated systems, in my opinion, simply do not count.

80% XP users are either pirated users, or corporate customers. I was referring to the remaining 20%.

It's a completely wrong perception that XP has about 60% market share, while almost 90% sources claim it has around 45% market share. Only NetApplication puts XP on a 59% markets share, because it puts too much weight on millions of pirated Chinese users. I have recently seen a stat that in China more than 50% users still use IE6. I think they live in a completely different universe as compared to the rest of the world. So, what these users use on their pirated systems, in my opinion, simply do not count.

80% XP users are either pirated users, or corporate customers. I was referring to the remaining 20%.

and you know this how?

Yeah, China is in another universe. :rolleyes:

/sarcasm

The "average user" can just type 'MAKE RESTORE' or 'CREATE RESTORE' or 'new restore' in the search box and Create restore point comes up.

Yeah, those "average users" would be able to find XP's create restore function blind-folded.

Well there ya go. I hardly ever use system restore. Never new you could type that. Nor have I ever tried, except just now. I just know where it is now and where it use to be in XP.

Except most wouldn't know to type that.

Yeah, "most" wouldn't think to search for "create restore" or "make restore" when they want to make a new restore point.

Finding it in the outdated XP start menu is much more intuitive for unskilled users. :rolleyes:

and you know this how?

Because:

1. China has the most computer users.

2. 90% Chinese computer users use XP (50% still use IE6).

3. 99% of Chinese Windows users use pirated versions of Windows.

pezzonovante either works for Microsoft or has shares in Microsoft.:laugh: Maybe it's Bill undercover:woot:

He/she must do, else why bother with trying to get everyone to buy Windows 7 even when they don't need to.

XP only belongs on old hardware or virtual machines. One thing I can't stand is people who install XP on a core i7 with 6GB+ of RAM and try to justify its use over Windows 7. Even core 2 systems benefit better from having 7 instead of XP.

Windows XP is 9 years old. NINE YEARS OLD. Do you realize how long that is in tech years? Think about it. Windows 95 was 9 years old in 2004. Not counting businesses: how many people still used Windows 95 in 2004 and swore by its usage up and down and refused to upgrade cuz it "worked"? With Windows 95, you could still surf the web and check emails. It works right? Just because something works, doesn't mean it's working the best way it can work for the time period you're in. How many of you still use Windows 2000? It's close to 11 years old. Who uses it outside of businesses in some places? What makes XP so special that it can last for 9+ years and people think it's ok, while all of its predecessors in the consumer market lasted only about 3-5 years tops and if anyone was caught using any of them 9 years later in the home they'd have no support from anyone about continuing to use it?

Prior to Windows XP's existence:

~1995 - Windows 95

~1998 - Windows 98

~2000 - Windows ME/2000

The majority of users adopted the newer versions not too long after they came out, not stubbornly sticking to and defending the use of Windows 95 in 2000, 5 years later, as virally as XP users do in 2010, 9 years later.

In the 9 years of XP has been out and still used today, the following releases of other OS's occurred:

Microsoft:

2007 - Windows Vista was released. It came with massive amounts of improvements that people have been arguing in this thread about all this time.

2009 - Windows 7 was released. Note only 2 years after Vista came out, Windows 7 is already here.

Note that today in 2010, there have been two major Windows releases since XP, a third on the way in the next year or two! Yet, XP being 9 years old is somehow still being defended as the end-all OS that should be used?

Apple:

2001 - MacOSX 10.0, Cheetah, was brand new and the very first OSX version to be officially released. In the same year, Apple already released an updated version called Puma.

2002 - MacOSX 10.2, Jaguar, came out as a full OS upgrade from the previous edition.

2003 - MacOSX 10.3, Panther, came out. Bringing out a host of game-changing features and fixes to the OS for that time period, also introduced many of MacOSX's key features still talked about today.

2005 - MacOSX 10.4, Tiger, was released. Another big upgrade to the MacOSX family.

2007 - MacOSX 10.5, Leopard, was released. This big OS upgrade is the start of what Apple users still rely on today. Note that Leopard is only 3 years old.

2009 - MacOSX 10.6, Snow Leopard, was released. This upgrade was even more minor than Windows 7 was to Vista.

Now, tell me, how many people out there are still using Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, or even Tiger in the Apple world?

Canonical:

2004 - Ubuntu 4.10, the very first release of this popular and key Linux distro, was released officially.

2006 - Ubuntu 6.06, the first LTS release of Ubuntu since it's debut, was released officially.

2008 - Ubuntu 8.04, the second LTS release of Ubuntu, was released.

2010 - Ubuntu 10.04, the third LTS release of Ubuntu.

Note I did not even include the releases that came between LTS releases. Given that Linux is free, and developed by people who aren't getting paid big money, this frequence of updating is quite impressive for this distro. Now, tell me, how many people still use the 4.10 version of Ubuntu? In fact, can you even count the number of people still using 8.04 today using more than one hand's worth of fingers?

Clearly, Microsoft made a huge mistake waiting so long to release a new OS (Vista). It allowed people to become so attached to one version of the OS that it refuses to die, even after it long should have done so, if you look at the track record of OS history of both Windows AND its competitors. Nevermind all the advancements in hardware and non-computer-related things that have occured in the past 9 years, the fact that 9-year-old XP continues to be defended so strongly and so vehemently, as if it is the Queen of England, continues to boggle me. People still install this OS on modern end computers released in 2010. WHY?

Because:

1. China has the most computer users.

2. 90% Chinese computer users use XP (50% still use IE6).

3. 99% of Chinese Windows users use pirated versions of Windows.

and you know this how? (imma keep saying this until you actually back up anything you say, and those numbers still don't add up to your magical %80 figure)

Yeah, "most" wouldn't think to search for "create restore" or "make restore" when they want to make a new restore point.

Finding it in the outdated XP start menu is much more intuitive for unskilled users. :rolleyes:

I don't know any normal people who even know what a restore point is.

Note that today in 2010, there have been two major Windows releases since XP, a third on the way in the next year or two! Yet, XP being 9 years old is somehow still being defended as the end-all OS that should be used?

no one who is defending XP here is saying that, what they are saying is why upgrade if you don't need to?

I don't know any normal people who even know what a restore point is.

Then why was it brought up as an example of how much better XP is over 7 then?

It's just an example, the search box works for everything in Windows better than the antiquated menu system.

and you know this how? (imma keep saying this until you actually back up anything you say, and those numbers still don't add up to your magical %80 figure)

First of all that 80% includes corporate users as well as pirated Chinese users.

Now, common sense should tell you that China has more computer users than any other country in the world. Secondly, I found the stat that 90% Chinese people use XP a few months ago in a chinese web site which currently I can't recall. Thirdly the 99% piracy figure is an estimate which I don't think is far off from reality.

But, i must say, there is one version of XP that holds a special place in my heart XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION 2005, i remember waiting for that launch. :cool:

Then why was it brought up as an example of how much better XP is over 7 then?

It's just an example, the search box works for everything in Windows better than the antiquated menu system.

i get the feeling Menu would get removed in the next two windows

to make it simple

just waiting for people to get used to Search

anyway wish that the searchbox are shown in the desktop

when you search it extend the menu normally

Canonical:

2004 - Ubuntu 4.10, the very first release of this popular and key Linux distro, was released officially.

2006 - Ubuntu 6.06, the first LTS release of Ubuntu since it's debut, was released officially.

2008 - Ubuntu 8.04, the second LTS release of Ubuntu, was released.

2010 - Ubuntu 10.04, the third LTS release of Ubuntu.

Note I did not even include the releases that came between LTS releases. Given that Linux is free, and developed by people who aren't getting paid big money, this frequence of updating is quite impressive for this distro. Now, tell me, how many people still use the 4.10 version of Ubuntu? In fact, can you even count the number of people still using 8.04 today using more than one hand's worth of fingers?

The answer to your question is right there. People don't need to pay for Linux, feature upgrades are free of charge.

We cannot say that Windows 7 brings anything new to the table in terms of features, Linux desktops on the other hand evolute constantly in terms of usability features, always worth the upgrade to the latest and greatest (with no costs).