Xilo

But will it be dumbed down for consoles like Oblivion and requires add-ons to make it works properly on PC ?

This is true for almost all Bethesda games.

Andre S.

Aside from the graphical upgrade and change of setting, is this any different from Oblivion? Not that I've been following very closely, but I'm not seeing them address any of Oblivion's flaws:

- boring main quest

- copy-pasted dungeons

- npc behavior and conversations ("Radiant AI") were hilarious at best

- UI was inappropriate for PC

- Enemy level scaling was abusive

Xilo

Aside from the graphical upgrade and change of setting, is this any different from Oblivion? Not that I've been following very closely, but I'm not seeing them address any of Oblivion's flaws:

- boring main quest

- copy-pasted dungeons

Mods have fixed all of this for Oblivion. With enough mods, Oblivion becomes an actual awesome game to play.

Andre S.

My experience with modding Oblivion (like Morrowind before it, but vanilla Morrowind had the merit of being actually interesting) is that it quickly becomes a nightmare of maintenance, bugs and performance issues, and when it works, it's a patchwork of conflicting artistic visions of wildly varying quality with no coherent vision.

Some may find it rewarding, but to me the fun/pain ratio of doing that < 1.

Pajter

- boring main quest

- copy-pasted dungeons

I don't know anything about Skyrim's mainquest, but all of those other points have been mentioned by Bethesda. I believe it was in some gaming magazine interview. Basically they said it would get much better in Skyrim. Sorry I can't recall the source.

Xilo

My experience with modding Oblivion (like Morrowind before it, but vanilla Morrowind had the merit of being actually interesting) is that it quickly becomes a nightmare of maintenance, bugs and performance issues, and when it works, it's a patchwork of conflicting artistic visions of wildly varying quality with no coherent vision.

Some may find it rewarding, but to me the fun/pain ratio of doing that < 1.

It's honestly not that bad and with the mods now, everything is relatively simple to install and the texture packs at least are pretty uniform.

The only "conflicting artistic visions" there are are if you start getting into the Japanese made races, body models, and clothes/armor...

Geoffrey B.

- boring main quest

- copy-pasted dungeons

In this months issue of PS3 magazine they answered some of these questions

-30 hour Main story quest with 300 hours of total play time if you do all the side quests and such

-Instead of 1 dungeon/cave designer they now have 8

-NPC are now programmed to have the ability to randomly generate their quests and conversations based on variables that their character was created with (Family, job, location. etc...)

-UI has been redone completely (can now view 3d models of all items, skills are done with a Constellation system)

-Enamy's now have a completely redone AI, The Dragons are Full on AI that are not pathed or scheduled.

LaP

Mods have fixed all of this for Oblivion. With enough mods, Oblivion becomes an actual awesome game to play.

Yeah but i'm not 20 yo anymore. I'm in the 30 with a family and responsability. Don't have time to search for mods and install them anymore. If they want to sell me a game they'll need to do the hard work and not expect the community to do the work for them and take the cash. Was kinda the same thing with wow. It was not playable without mod. You had to find, install and update 10+ mods.

The UI of Oblivion PC was so bad and so console oriented that it's hard to imagine devs worked more than 15 minutes on it. I mean take a student and give him one day at the minimum salary and you got something better. As a consumer with a limited budget for video game (around 20-30$ a month) i find things like this frustrating and not acceptable.

AI was so bad. It was not better than Morrowind. It's 2010 not 1990. NPC felt more human in the original Baldur's Gate than Oblivion ... Bethesda needs to wake up imo.

Valerus

-30 hour Main story quest with 300 hours of total play time if you do all the side quests and such

-NPC are now programmed to have the ability to randomly generate their quests and conversations based on variables that their character was created with (Family, job, location. etc...)

-UI has been redone completely (can now view 3d models of all items, skills are done with a Constellation system)

-Enamy's now have a completely redone AI, The Dragons are Full on AI that are not pathed or scheduled.

oh snap. good news indeed.

shakey

I really hope they have fixed the dungeons. Every single one always felt the same, just like it had a different entrance and monsters. Got really boring after a while.

Andre S.

I'm not really interested in how much time it takes to finish it, rather, if it's something original, with enjoyable dialogue and characters and such. If they don't recognize that their main quest line lacked character and originality, it doesn't bode well for TES V.
They seriously only had 1 dungeon/cave designer for Oblivion? ROTFL!!! That explains things! :laugh:

Good news though, shows they've learned at least one thing.

Since Oblivion's "Radiant AI" I get VERY suspicious every time Bethesda says the word "random", "generated" or "radiant". If they extend the fail to how quests are attributed, we could be in for a disaster of epic proportions. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong, but my expectations are low.
Yes but is there a different UI for PC and consoles?
Hum, ok. Enemy AI wasn't that bad in TES IV I thought.
Geoffrey B.

I was just posting what i read in the article.

• 2 weeks later...
S00N3R FR3AK

So, who is getting the collectors edition?

Konstanov

Going to Quakecon was very very very worth it this year....:whistle:

Minifig

- boring main quest

- copy-pasted dungeons

You have no idea what the actual main quest is... if you do.. how? They haven't said anything about it yet.

Again, they've shown at most two dungeons, how do you know they're "copy and pasted"?

NPC behavior is apparently LOADS better, and you've not seen anything of it yet.. so you're assuming a lot.

The UI was fine, the problem was the user.

What? Abusive? How long did you play? It was easy at most. I've got about 800 hours in my game, and I've got a mod that scales according to your level. It's difficult, but not "Abusive".

Just how long did you play Oblivion for?

Your post is just... I don't know. Can't tell if trolling or.. just trying to get people to respond. Baiting the forums if you will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Draken

Bethesda Confirms That Skyrim Will Fit On One Xbox 360 Disc

I bet it will be using xgd3

Source: Ripten

• 2 weeks later...
Kyle A

These have been posted for a while but I just stumbled on them today, enjoy:

Andre S.

... late reply, but better late than never...

You have no idea what the actual main quest is... if you do.. how? They haven't said anything about it yet.
I know they didn't say anything and that's what worries me. It was a flaw in the original so if they're not saying anything in particular about it, and are, as usual, emphasizing that's it's all about doing what you want, going where you want when you want, then the main quest's probably going to be an afterthought just like in TES IV.
Again, they've shown at most two dungeons, how do you know they're "copy and pasted"?
I said they didn't address this publicly which made me worried. Which they now did, by the way. They said all their dungeons would be hand-crafted. So that's one good thing at least.
NPC behavior is apparently LOADS better, and you've not seen anything of it yet.. so you're assuming a lot.
Where did you see NPC behavior be a lot better?
The UI was fine, the problem was the user.
The problem was the user? I don't know what's that supposed to mean, but how do you think Bethesda will address that problem then?
What? Abusive? How long did you play? It was easy at most. I've got about 800 hours in my game, and I've got a mod that scales according to your level. It's difficult, but not "Abusive".
I don't mean that it scales badly, I mean that it scales too well. There's no point in doing +5% damage with my new level up, if every enemy gains an according +5% hit points. If the whole world scales with you in power, it defeats the point of building up your character because you never feel more powerful.
Just how long did you play Oblivion for?
Maybe 30 hours.
+Audioboxer

These have been posted for a while but I just stumbled on them today, enjoy:

It looks awesome (Y)

Caleo

This.

Skyrim will be addressing most of Oblivion's problems - Ugly characters, mediocre character animation, annoying npc interaction, dungeon variety, bad UI (the map & skill screens look great, not so sure about the new inventory just yet, I do like the fact that your full inventory comes up with the object you're looting as an option on the menu).. etc, all while bringing current graphics to the series.

xendrome

BEGIN discussion of Graphic Card upgrade NAO!

Draken

BEGIN discussion of Graphic Card upgrade NAO!

HD 5670 here and I'm not upgrading :ike:

neoadorable

that 5670 will be more than enough. i'm getting the 360 version and that's not even close to a 5670, i'll still be happy. if you have the cash, upgrade, otherwise, stick with the 5670. can't believe it's been like six years almost since Oblivion!