Geohot releases the PS3 keys [Discussion]

The only plus for Sony is PS3 sales will boom, and if they find a way to ban consoles, people will be buying multiple.

Devs will be pretty worried.

Homebrew can't exist without piracy, just the way it is unfortunately.

considering the 360 is still around and it's been hacked for years, I don't think this will really change anything for the PS3 devs. I wouldn't be surprised to see them buffer in extra game data to inflate game sizes. While HDDs are large these days, I'd imagine your average pirate will be concerned if games are clocking in at over 10-15 GBs.

Hes a sellout. his release came with a job application to any of the 'big three' so he's NOT on the 'side' hes portrayed in his PS3 and iPhone hacks...

I believe he figured this out months ago though, cause 3.21oo wouldn't have been possible otherwise - but that never came to light either.

As far as I know, "3.21oo" was just a modified vsh shell or something. I'm not sure of the details, but someone described it as just a modified text file that wasn't signed or anything and didn't actually do much. Probably why he never released it.

So I assume (without reading up) these key allows people to burn fully playable blurays of the games without modifying the console at all?

Burn them? It'll let someone repackage a game and allow people to just put it on a hard drive or a DVD (if it was small enough to fit). But piracy isn't really all that interesting, the "good" thing is the free software that's now possible. For example, theoretically, it should be possible to enable DTS playback from things OTHER than BD-ROMs. I know I'd love that.

considering the 360 is still around and it's been hacked for years, I don't think this will really change anything for the PS3 devs. I wouldn't be surprised to see them buffer in extra game data to inflate game sizes. While HDDs are large these days, I'd imagine your average pirate will be concerned if games are clocking in at over 10-15 GBs.

The 360 was hacked purely for piracy yeah and it never stopped developers. But Microsoft has tried their hardest to at least keep pirates off of live. Massive bannings (like the big 2009 1million+ console bans) put many people off, although a lot still do pirate. One of the hackers said a few months ago that Sony isn't as capable of detecting and banning "modified" PS3's, especially since they don't control the software running on the PS3 itself any more (whereas with Microsoft, they were always in control of that, it was just the DVD drives that were hacked). Then again, we'll see what the future holds.

As for hard drive size, you can get 3TB HDDs for less than the cost of a KINECT. I doubt that'll be an issue for anyone.

Burn them? It'll let someone repackage a game and allow people to just put it on a hard drive or a DVD (if it was small enough to fit). But piracy isn't really all that interesting, the "good" thing is the free software that's now possible. For example, theoretically, it should be possible to enable DTS playback from things OTHER than BD-ROMs. I know I'd love that.

That's been enabled for quite a while now! How do you not know that? :p

That's been enabled for quite a while now! How do you not know that? :p

It has? I'm still having trouble with certain MKVs that have a DTS track inside them.

It has? I'm still having trouble with certain MKVs that have a DTS track inside them.

Well you need to use PS3MediaServer or MKV2VOB, but I've never had an issue with any DTS actually playing.

Well you need to use PS3MediaServer or MKV2VOB, but I've never had an issue with any DTS actually playing.

I use PS3 Media server. It's not all DTS files, it's just certain ones, I can't narrow it down. I just have to remux the file to Dolby 5.1 to play it.

All this would be solved if someone ports XMBC!

The only plus for Sony is PS3 sales will boom, and if they find a way to ban consoles, people will be buying multiple.

weeeeell... that's not entirely true now is it. It can if the console maker releases tools for the average basement coder to download and code for the console and release for said console for a very small amount... ;)

weeeeell... that's not entirely true now is it. It can if the console maker releases tools for the average basement coder to download and code for the console and release for said console for a very small amount... ;)

I do primarily agree with you, but look at the 360 - it has XNA, which is exactly what you describe, but Microsoft has such control over it, there's no "homebrew" scene really. Not legitimately, anyway.

That's not homebrew, homebrew is free.

Then what do you call all the indie devs, heck they even did theyr own ad campaing for the winter just now. or rather they're still doing.

Then what do you call all the indie devs, heck they even did theyr own ad campaing for the winter just now. or rather they're still doing.

I call them independent developers?

which is pretty much what homebrew is. they're pretty much interchangeable. except for the fact that homebrew is usually used when people actually means Emulators and pirating, since being an indie developer actually means you develop something new.

which is pretty much what homebrew is. they're pretty much interchangeable. except for the fact that homebrew is usually used when people actually means Emulators and pirating, since being an indie developer actually means you develop something new.

In the discussion we have just now, not really, but your opinion of what XBIG is, is noted.

I'd say the terms are both very similar but not the same.

"Homebrew" is, according to wikipedia at least, any kind of software that's written for a device or platform which is normally proprietary and not normally user-programmable. That doesn't say anything about it necessarily being "free", just that the software has been written for it without the official tools or processes.

That sounds about right to me. I'm sure there's a "homebrew" PSP game out there that you have to buy, I just can't remember the name of it.

And indie-developer doesn't necessarily write "homebrew". Look at Braid, or world of Goo. They're both considered indie games, yet have appeared on the Xbox 360 and the Wii, quite legitimately. So I wouldn't necessarily call either title homebrew, but I would call them indie.

It just so happens that you don't often find non-indie developers (i.e. large software houses) writing homebrew code.

I wonder what this will mean for PS3 BC in the PS4? Will Sony dare to bring back a PS3 mode that could, theoretically, bring a backdoor to the PS4 mode?

Also, PS2 BC is in the works for all PS3 models now it seems. Can't find the source but it has been said somewhere.

This is exactly right and now Sony has a reason to start charging everyone for the use of PSN. Microsoft charges for XBL so periodically they scan their network, find hack systems and ban the console and the account. That is a double whammy and seems to have curbed (Not eliminated) piracy for Microsoft and will generate extra revenue. Many people play Multiplayer so this is feasible.

Everything rides on the release of the "downgrade" code from an undisclosed source, without that particular code they (failoverflow) would still be "hacking" in the dark...

(and the random number "4" off course)

So it all boils down to human error... Who released the code that made downgrade possible...(some shady repair-shop, or disgruntled Sony employee?)

Well, time for new console hardware!!!

I vote for more (video) RAM in the next Playstation (HD gaming requires more RAM for textures!! plain and simple)

I wonder what this will mean for PS3 BC in the PS4? Will Sony dare to bring back a PS3 mode that could, theoretically, bring a backdoor to the PS4 mode?

Also, PS2 BC is in the works for all PS3 models now it seems. Can't find the source but it has been said somewhere.

If Sony writes a good enough hypervisor, that wont be an issue. The PS3 had PS2 backwards compatibility and that contributed absolutely nothing towards it getting hacked.

This is exactly right and now Sony has a reason to start charging everyone for the use of PSN. Microsoft charges for XBL so periodically they scan their network, find hack systems and ban the console and the account. That is a double whammy and seems to have curbed (Not eliminated) piracy for Microsoft and will generate extra revenue. Many people play Multiplayer so this is feasible.

Keep it free and ban PSN accounts along with PS3s.

MS' biggest downfall in the fight against piracy is not banning Live accounts, but they don't do that because they charge and don't want to lose money.

Just because some people are going to start pirating doesn't mean everyone using a PS3 has to suffer.

wonder what Sony is going to do next(probably nothing)... pirated PS3 games will soon show up in the internet.

lol i had to check and see if this was a year old thread revived. Ps3 games have been on the net for quite a while now. I might switch to ps3 since most ps3 games are smaller then 360