W7 SP1 is now RTM according 2 a MSFT MVP!

In the W7 SP1 and WS2008 R2 SP1 MSFT Tech Net Forums, I started a Disscussion called, "Can I please be invited 2 the MSFT W7 SP1 Private Beta," and in response 2 my question Andre Ziegler said that Windows 7 SP1 and WS2008 R2 SP1 is all ready RTM, and that it was 2 late 2 join the Beta!

I'm still not sure why people get excited over service packs. Windows 7 SP1 in particular is nothing but the currently available patches all rolled together and nothing more. If your copy of Windows 7 is up to date you technically already have SP1.

Windows 7 Sp1 is finished. Build 7601.17514.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850 is the RTM. You are too late to join the test. Wait for the Sp2 and try to get an invite.

:D

I'm still not sure why people get excited over service packs. Windows 7 SP1 in particular is nothing but the currently available patches all rolled together and nothing more. If your copy of Windows 7 is up to date you technically already have SP1.

windows 7 sp1 represents the rapid and final death of windows xp. Corporations don't typically adopt a microsoft until it's gotten to sp1 to make sure that all the initial issues are done and over. Many businesses have stuck to windows xp because of the FUD surrounding windows Vista.. Now they are being faced with the fact that they will have to update. As i said, this will be very rapid, in a matter of a couple of months. Wiith this the user base of IE6 will also dramatically drop because IE6 is still the version shipped with XP. I expect great things to happen in the coming months.

Windows 7 Sp1 is finished. Build 7601.17514.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850 is the RTM.

It means , the build was build on 19 November , 2010 , @ 1850hrs , that's really gr8!

Perhaps I'm mixed up here - I thought stuff usually went RTW before going RTM.

Yeah you are a little mixed up. Its ALWAYS been RTM first, So the manufacturers can prep their machines or software or whatever first before its released to the web for masses to download.

Thats what I thought but apparently there is something to get excited about.

Thats what I thought but apparently there is something to get excited about.

Its what true geeks do. Its what drives us :D! Get with the times. Technically you don't have the very latest code running if you don't have SP1 ;)

windows 7 sp1 represents the rapid and final death of windows xp. Corporations don't typically adopt a microsoft until it's gotten to sp1 to make sure that all the initial issues are done and over. Many businesses have stuck to windows xp because of the FUD surrounding windows Vista.. Now they are being faced with the fact that they will have to update. As i said, this will be very rapid, in a matter of a couple of months. Wiith this the user base of IE6 will also dramatically drop because IE6 is still the version shipped with XP. I expect great things to happen in the coming months.

+1

CAN SOME ONE INVITE TO BE A BETA TESTER. I AM VERY QUALIFIED EVEN THOUGH I TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

Are you sure? Security patches get pushed out of Windows Update mostly. Very seldom do I see bugfix patches on WU, and I'm sure there's a handful of them that weren't deemed too severe that it didn't appear on WU, but will be in SP1.

Are you sure? Security patches get pushed out of Windows Update mostly. Very seldom do I see bugfix patches on WU, and I'm sure there's a handful of them that weren't deemed too severe that it didn't appear on WU, but will be in SP1.

You are absolutely right. Most people make the assumption that a service pack is a collection of updates that were released to Windows Update. How very wrong they are. In fact if people were smart enough to figure out that these service packs require testing, they would realize that in fact they are testing unreleased features/updates/enhancements.

However SP1 for Win 7 will not be like SP2 for Win XP where Microsoft introduced a bunch of new features. But there are a lot of updates that have never been released to the general public that will be released.