W7 SP1 is now RTM according 2 a MSFT MVP!

Neyht

I'm still not sure why people get excited over service packs. Windows 7 SP1 in particular is nothing but the currently available patches all rolled together and nothing more. If your copy of Windows 7 is up to date you technically already have SP1.

So when SP1 gets released, I'll go download an exe that will take a couple minutes to inspect my (fully patched) computer setup, create a restore point, download necessary files (which it will find) , and take maybe twenty to thirty minutes... playing solitaire in the background.

tablet_user

So when SP1 gets released, I'll go download an exe that will take a couple minutes to inspect my (fully patched) computer setup, create a restore point, download necessary files, and take maybe twenty to thirty minutes installing...what exactly will it be doing then?

it will be removing licenses, sending you your money back and making windows 7 free. I dont know if you read the article yesterday but Microsoft has to release windows for free to compete with Google Chrome OS.

hdood

I'm still not sure why people get excited over service packs. Windows 7 SP1 in particular is nothing but the currently available patches all rolled together and nothing more. If your copy of Windows 7 is up to date you technically already have SP1.

Unless you went to the Microsoft site and manually downloaded all 624 updates, then you do not "technically already have SP1." Most updates to Windows are not put on Windows Update. Only the most important updates that apply to the majority of people are on WU.

guru

among other things sp1 will bring AVX support

Jason S.

youre only half right. yes, SP1 is a cumulative roll-up, but it DOES support some new features. most of these new features, though, are for Server 2008 R2.

you can read this white paper about the SP1 changes here

Quillz

I think people have been expecting too much of service packs ever since WinXP SP2, which, in the opinion of some, should have marketed as an all-new version of Windows. That's probably the only time in history that a service pack actually added some very significant new features.

lalalawawawa

Unless you went to the Microsoft site and manually downloaded all 624 updates, then you do not "technically already have SP1." Most updates to Windows are not put on Windows Update. Only the most important updates that apply to the majority of people are on WU.

Important or not doesn't matter. Updates are pushed on case by case basis. If the update is OS specific, all will get it. If its system specific, only the systems requiring it will get it. ;)

Growled

I'm looking forward to it. In the past, every SP has made the OS a little bit better. I expect no less of this one.

nekrosoft13

not even close, updates released on windows updates only cover about 10% of things fixed. windows updates only addresses critical security fixes.

if you want to actually know how much stuff you actually are missing, check here

http://thehotfixshar...ads&showcat=136

Important or not doesn't matter. Updates are pushed on case by case basis. If the update is OS specific, all will get it. If its system specific, only the systems requiring it will get it. ;)

wrong

lalalawawawa

not even close, updates released on windows updates only cover about 10% of things fixed. windows updates only addresses critical security fixes.

if you want to actually know how much stuff you actually are missing, check here

http://thehotfixshar...ads&showcat=136

wrong

Thanks for the correction. :)

(I wasn't counting the usual performance hotfixes and stuff, but if we go with what I said about the importance of the updates, I probably should count them too.) :)

hdood

No.

kiddingguy

No info on CES just yet.

WTH happens ;) - hahahaha

+Ryster

Not true, get your facts straight. Not only does it contain all the available patches, but also all the unavailable ones too... the ones you have to apply for individually that are not available via Windows Update... such as the Group Policy Wallpaper Bug patch which our company requires.

Guest mattburles

definately not happening at CES 2011.. I think it will show up at Mix 11' because that is in the March timeframe when they said it would be released :)

kiddingguy

...so maybe IE9 final and Windows 7 SP1 at MIX11... nice! ;)

jakem1

I think people have been expecting too much of service packs ever since WinXP SP2, which, in the opinion of some, should have marketed as an all-new version of Windows. That's probably the only time in history that a service pack actually added some very significant new features.

Vista SP1 was pretty important for a lot of people and really put an end to the problems that the initial version of that OS faced.

torrentthief

seeing as though they are compiling rtm candidates i think that march is way off the mark, rtm candidates is when they are happy with it and are checking for tiny problems with it, i expect it to be released sometime in January i'd guess. IE9 looks quite a way off, not even an RC out yet, alot of web developers and companies won't even test their sites until an RC is out so i bet alot more bugs will be found then. Can't see that being released until march.

MS Bob 10

Not only is sp1 RTM there are already two updates for it

KB2482122

KB2489740

In the hotfixes *.bf you will find the final build number of sp1

Can you kindly tell how you found the 2 updates when their KB articles aren't up yet? :)

ThisSiteHasLostItsCharm

I hear there is now a new build 7601.17125.110106-1630.

kiddingguy

I hear there is now a new build 7601.17125.110106-1630.

...and where'd you hear that?

ThisSiteHasLostItsCharm

...and where'd you hear that?

mydigitallife.

DeadEndAccount

Which is incorrect; there are hotfixes which are made available for large enterprise customers but aren't urgent enough to be deployed to the general population so instead they get rolled up with the service packs. Service packs are more than just rolling up a years worth of patches.

torrentthief

lol, vista sp3 won't be out until after win 7 sp1, i'd bet my house on it. It is not a priority as windows 7 has no service pack out so new pc's sold that don't have windows updates applied are insecure and contains alot of bugs. Its possible there might never be a SP3. There is no XP SP4 and yet there's 500mb+ of updates available.

Soulsiphon

Wait! What? omg, a msft mvp said that w7 sp1 is rtm? lolomgwtf!!! bbiab!