W7 SP1 is now RTM according 2 a MSFT MVP!

torrentthief

this information was released on 24th dec on Wzor.net:

win7 branch: 7601.17125.101210-1930

win7sp1_rtm branch: 7601.17514.101119-1850

win7_spdev branch: 7601.17125.101221-1630

The build the MS tester said is the branch, this doesn't necessarily mean they have chosen the exact build which will be named the final build yet i THINK?

Its a little early to know just yet, lets hope neowin staffers can contact microsoft to find out for sure.

Anyone know if SP1 will integrate properly like it used to in XP or will we have to wait for integrated iso's to leak from MSDN/Technet as i don't wanna have to put SP1.exe in /updates folder on the dvd as that has to be extracted and then the files overwritten which makes the install much longer. I tend to upgrade my pc components from time to time and often do a clean install, would be so much better if we can do a proper slipstream of SP1 ourselves as i believe ultimate edition isn't available on MSDN, the best is Pro or enterprise on there?

Am i the only one who is not excited about sp1? It will come when it will come.

I am excited, it adds loads of fixes that aren't available on windows update and it also means installs are much quicker and smaller as downloading all the updates takes ages. SP1 will also mean that businesses will upgrade to windows 7 now which means the number of IE6 users will drop even lower which is good news for all web developers.

joemailey

this information was released on 24th dec on Wzor.net:

win7 branch: 7601.17125.101210-1930

win7sp1_rtm branch: 7601.17514.101119-1850

win7_spdev branch: 7601.17125.101221-1630

The build the MS tester said is the branch, this doesn't necessarily mean they have chosen the exact build which will be named the final build yet i THINK?

Its a little early to know just yet, lets hope neowin staffers can contact microsoft to find out for sure.

Anyone know if SP1 will integrate properly like it used to in XP or will we have to wait for integrated iso's to leak from MSDN/Technet as i don't wanna have to put SP1.exe in /updates folder on the dvd as that has to be extracted and then the files overwritten which makes the install much longer. I tend to upgrade my pc components from time to time and often do a clean install, would be so much better if we can do a proper slipstream of SP1 ourselves as i believe ultimate edition isn't available on MSDN, the best is Pro or enterprise on there?

I am excited, it adds loads of fixes that aren't available on windows update and it also means installs are much quicker and smaller as downloading all the updates takes ages. SP1 will also mean that businesses will upgrade to windows 7 now which means the number of IE6 users will drop even lower which is good news for all web developers.

It will most likely be integrated eg Windows 7 with SP1(windows xp with sp2). But probably won't be available for a while. Most likely will only be available via MSDN.

Skwerl

CAN SOME ONE INVITE TO BE A BETA TESTER. I AM VERY QUALIFIED EVEN THOUGH I TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

Shouldn't that be more like this?

CAN SOME ONE INVITE 2 BE A BETA TESTER. I AM VERY QUALIFIED EVEN THOUGH I TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

His stupidity needs to be accurately emulated.

Frylock86

Its what true geeks do. Its what drives us :D! Get with the times. Technically you don't have the very latest code running if you don't have SP1 ;)

This (Y)

aftas

Hmm, this has been rtm for so long and no leak, interesting.

Hopefully we see a release later this week.

It will problably be released at CES. I think someone ****ed up a small surprise MS had for us.

xTdub

Rofl at all the raging in that thread. ...yet, wondering why he doesn't get invited. :lol:

QFT

On-Topic: This is good news, hope to see it soon even though it won't do much for those who are fully updated.

ricktendo64

Not only is sp1 RTM there are already two updates for it

KB2482122

KB2489740

In the hotfixes *.bf you will find the final build number of sp1

UndergroundWire

Shouldn't that be more like this?

CAN SOME ONE INVITE 2 BE A BETA TESTER. I AM VERY QUALIFIED EVEN THOUGH I TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

His stupidity needs to be accurately emulated.

Seriously, whenever I see someone typing in all caps, I know they don't know computers at all. But that thread made me LOL.

kiddingguy

It will problably be released at CES. I think someone ****ed up a small surprise MS had for us.

Ah well... we'll see the upcoming days. Would be a nice happy 2011 gift from Microsoft btw.

Ci7

Why would this be released at CES?

Because companies are showcasing new Computers? which by extension include the operating system

Guest mattburles

when was vista sp2 released in final? maybe that will help us determine the release date?!

NEVER85

when was vista sp2 released in final? maybe that will help us determine the release date?!

Vista SP2 RTM'd April 28th, 2009. Was released to Microsoft Download Center and Windows Update on May 26th.

Guest mattburles

so if windows 7 sp1 hit RTM in January like people are claiming than the release should be in February if you base it off past releases for service packs example being vista sp2.

micro

so if windows 7 sp1 hit RTM in January like people are claiming than the release should be in February if you base it off past releases for service packs example being vista sp2.

No, it hit rtm in NOVEMBER.

ThisSiteHasLostItsCharm

wonder if it'll leak soon?

alisalem

The sooner it arrives on my desktop the better (Y) rofl.gif

May I ask why? I wonder what makes people really excited about Service Packs..

TygrScott

Why do people get excited? Because I get to slipstream the SP1 and format, rebuild my OS. I always format, rebuild on SP releases. Keeps things fresh.

+warwagon

Why do people get excited? Because I get to slipstream the SP1 and format, rebuild my OS. I always format, rebuild on SP releases. Keeps things fresh.

Have fun with that. I do not want to reformat and set all my backups up again, and apps and configure the system the way I have it now.

Doing a clean install of windows, on a newly built PC. That's fun, I enjoy that. But reinstalling windows and reinstalling / configuring all my applications. I don't find any pleasure in that at all.

Pikey

Same here .. almost therapeutic .. and it doesn't really take that long.

PGHammer

I'm still not sure why people get excited over service packs. Windows 7 SP1 in particular is nothing but the currently available patches all rolled together and nothing more. If your copy of Windows 7 is up to date you technically already have SP1.

A service pack *also* includes features that are not generally rolled out via WU/MU (because each Windows install is different, and has a different application mix - some applications either require, or obviate, the need for particular updates or hotfixes).

One known issue with the RC of SP1 (currently available to all via Microsoft) is that it breaks retail (but not the trial) of Diskeeper 2010 Professional and Pro Premier; I am waiting for an update for this application before installing the RTW of this SP.

Browser-related note - SP1 of Windows 7 does not include, or break, any beta of IE 9.

I strongly suggest that anyone with multiple computers running Windows 7 download the disk image of the Service Pack (at 1 GB, it's too large for a CD, even with overburning; DVD media is required).

Waiting for integrated download ;)

Actually, consider the SP1 ISO *in addition* to the integrated ISO (for PCs where a blanking and reinstall is not practical for any reason). Besides, the standalone ISO will RTW first.

It will most likely be integrated eg Windows 7 with SP1(windows xp with sp2). But probably won't be available for a while. Most likely will only be available via MSDN.

Not true. Integrated DVDs will also make their way into the OEM/System Builder and retail channels (as has been the case with previous versions of Windows).

Trade-show heads-up - as soon as DVD pressing has begun, Microsoft will also pass out Service Pack ISOs at trade shows and other events (no idea if they will do so at CES, but they certainly will once the SP goes RTW) per standard Microsoft policy.

Vista SP2 RTM'd April 28th, 2009. Was released to Microsoft Download Center and Windows Update on May 26th.

Microsoft also had SP2 DVDs for Vista at trade shows that entire year (despite Vista's compartively-snail-like sales pace)

Guest mattburles

or maybe it wont leak at all and we will just see it in feb or march?

Quillz

I'm still not sure why people get excited over service packs. Windows 7 SP1 in particular is nothing but the currently available patches all rolled together and nothing more. If your copy of Windows 7 is up to date you technically already have SP1.

A lot of individuals and corporations prefer to adopt a new Windows OS after the first service pack. Also, it makes reinstalling Win7 much easier... You just slipstream SP1 right into it and not have to hit Windows Update like you currently do now. A fresh OS install always feels "cleaner" when it's installed with all the hotfixes already built in, as opposed to installing them separately.

Vista SP2 came out in 2009.

iuerg87yerg879e0rg9erugjer
Vista SP2 came out in 2009.

hes talking about date, not year

tablet_user

Am i the only one who is not excited about sp1? It will come when it will come.

i didnt even know it was coming and im not a tech hermit lol