I knew Mac's were overpriced, but Jesus!

Ah. I did not even realize that.

See, that's the thing, the MacBook Pro never ceases to amaze me in how much tech they managed to shove into it, and how well it works. Now that I think of it, I can recall sitting in a larger lecture hall in college and noticing the Macbook of the girl next to me dimmed its display and slowly brightened the keyboard as the light faded for the projector.

I'm getting very close to reaching a budget to purchase one, and I cannot wait. I've been using and defending Windows laptops for years, but I just can't find anything that comes close.

For portables, there really isn't a comparison between a Windows laptop and an Apple one. Apple laptops are just better, in large part because they aren't hobbled by OEMs and the garbage that entails. For desktops, it's a harder sell, since a person can easily piece together a very good desktop for a low price, and have control of every aspect of what hardware/drivers are used.

*edit*

And before some child chimes in with their 'blah blah clean install' diatribe; yes, I know. Doesn't change the fact that quite often the proprietary components of Windows-centric portables require utterly garbage drivers to function properly, clean install or not.

• Like 1

yes it is. checking e-mail and viewing your facebook no problem. youtubing while doing all of that, slow as hell. honestly, all you have to do what you said above and post a screenshot of your usage monitor. If your cpu isn't blasting at or near 100 percent, everyone here will believe you.

do i have to repeat the way i typically use my netbook? if it was slow as hell while using it this way i would not use it anymore. i think it's great though. my biggest caveat about it is the screen size, and the multi touch trackpad not working to expectations.

my mom has a same specced netbook she uses every day for flash gaming and youtube as well. and unlike he old acer laptop of which the spec i am unsure of, she hasn't yet complained it is slow.

i'm not sure why i should have to prove this if you don't want to prove your assertion that i am wrong.

i don't know a lot of non power users that run powerpoint or excel on their home PC, and if they do they probably aren't going to be buying an all in one. they sure as hell aren't going to be running ms office on a imac for long if they're doing job work in those apps.

Roll me one of whatever you're smoking and we'll fire up my G5 iMac that I sidelined as my main machine for my new mini. It's going in my shop I'm going to finish in the basement this summer. After almost 6 years of using Excel and Word, there's nothing at all to keep me from using it a few more years.

• Like 4

as if the opposing side here isn't full of opinions presented as facts and experiences that don't extend outside of their computer room.

everyone who has asked you to provide facts has done so themselves, but i guess to you two wrong make a right?

the sluggish feel of my netbook is evident on much more powerful laptop CPUs found on apple laptops too to the same degree.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say no screenshot or proof will be provided by you?

i heard doing dev work on macbook in starbucks is a cliche in and of itself especially among non mac using devs.

okay, what does that have to do with anything?

what's about my posts makes you think i don't realize it's subjective. maybe you need to plplay that to your own posts and those of the other apple fans in this thread.

every part of it, you not read what you write? what plplay?

everything stated as an advantage for macs of any formfactor as usual are almost entirely superlative and when combined can hardly justify the huge premium on these products.

it's because you are not comparing two equivalent products, and that's all we are asking you to do.

• Like 2

as if the opposing side here isn't full of opinions presented as facts and experiences that don't extend outside of their computer room.

Opinions? I stated nothing but facts that can be found on any product review site. Oh wait, you're not really big on the whole "proof" thing, are you?

what's there to misunderstand, macs are computers. they're not magical wizardry machine with super powers.

An Atom compared to a Core 2 Duo or an i5? No, trust me, the comparison between the two could be magical wizardry for all the world of difference that it makes.

also i like the rep farming going on in this thread. very classy.

Just as I also laugh at people who run away from threads when presented with the idea that they might be wrong about something. Very predictable.

i heard doing dev work on macbook in starbucks is a cliche in and of itself especially among non mac using devs.

Wow, that's totally not a rude assumption to make about MacBook owners.

what's about my posts makes you think i don't realize it's subjective. maybe you need to plplay that to your own posts and those of the other apple fans in this thread.

....Do you listen to yourself?

everything stated as an advantage for macs of any formfactor as usual are almost entirely superlative and when combined can hardly justify the huge premium on these products.

And there it is. I knew there would be at least one oaf to respond to my challenge with "you don't really need that". If it's not needed and is just a premium, why do laptops with less hardware and higher prices exist? Also, I would look up the word "superlative" in the dictionary, because I don't think it means what you think it means; you're actually supporting the people you're arguing against. I think the word you were attempting to search for in all your excitement to make a blanket assumption about Mac hardware is the word "superficial".

do i have to repeat the way i typically use my netbook? if it was slow as hell while using it this way i would not use it anymore. i think it's great though. my biggest caveat about it is the screen size, and the multi touch trackpad not working to expectations.

my mom has a same specced netbook she uses every day for flash gaming and youtube as well. and unlike he old acer laptop of which the spec i am unsure of, she hasn't yet complained it is slow.

i'm not sure why i should have to prove this if you don't want to prove your assertion that i am wrong.

This is what's called "anecdotal evidence". You're using your experience and your mother's experience to extrapolate on the rest of the computing population what their needs are. It's not logical, and it makes you look pretty foolish.

• Like 2

I can tell you from personal experience that treemonster doesn't accept the idea of screenshots or video proof. If you'd like confirmation of that, you can check out the "Most Pirated Games of 2010" thread.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/951186-windows-7-will-kill-xp-ahead-of-windows-8-its-just-a-matter-of-time/page__st__165__p__593348170#entry593348170

you should check out that, buddy thinks running windows xp and doing online banking is a gurantee that your banking information will get hijacked and not once that entire thread proved why. i don't even know why i replied, i had him blocked, what he said just showed up on something one of you guys quoted.

• Like 1

Roll me one of whatever you're smoking and we'll fire up my G5 iMac that I sidelined as my main machine for my new mini. It's going in my shop I'm going to finish in the basement this summer. After almost 6 years of using Excel and Word, there's nothing at all to keep me from using it a few more years.

strange i keep hearing about compatibility issues between the osx version of office and the windows version of office. from wha ti hear it's slightly better than trying to open documents made in open office on ms office.

speaking of the mini they use them at my docotrs office and they're always complaining about them freezing up all the time. makes making appointments a lengthy process.

everyone who has asked you to provide facts has done so themselves, but i guess to you two wrong make a right?

i'm going to go out on a limb and say no screenshot or proof will be provided by you?

okay, what does that have to do with anything?

every part of it, you not read what you write? what plplay?

it's because you are not comparing two equivalent products, and that's all we are asking you to do.

i've only been asked to provide a screenshot once in this thread, and the only screenshots i see in this thread are in the OP. it's past 12 here and not a good time to fire up my netbook and start blaring music just to oblige your fancies.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say no screenshot or proof wil be provided by you?

making fun of people's typing on the internet is totally cool and makes your credible.

the things you think make s your equally specced apple products superior are again superlative. and do not account for the huge premium. they are minor at best.

Opinions? I stated nothing but facts that can be found on any product review site. Oh wait, you're not really big on the whole "proof" thing, are you?

An Atom compared to a Core 2 Duo or an i5? No, trust me, the comparison between the two could be magical wizardry for all the world of difference that it makes.

Just as I also laugh at people who run away from threads when presented with the idea that they might be wrong about something. Very predictable.

Wow, that's totally not a rude assumption to make about MacBook owners.

....Do you listen to yourself?

And there it is. I knew there would be at least one oaf to respond to my challenge with "you don't really need that". If it's not needed and is just a premium, why do laptops with less hardware and higher prices exist? Also, I would look up the word "superlative" in the dictionary, because I don't think it means what you think it means; you're actually supporting the people you're arguing against. I think the word you were attempting to search for in all your excitement to make a blanket assumption about Mac hardware is the word "superficial".

This is what's called "anecdotal evidence". You're using your experience and your mother's experience to extrapolate on the rest of the computing population what their needs are. It's not logical, and it makes you look pretty foolish.

more silliness and logic abuse and so on, as well as unwarranted self importance in the demonstration of presenting your opinions as facts, while failing to understand the lack of presumption on my part that my opinions are facts or my experiences the rule.

that being said, again, 10 tabs in firefox including youtube streaming, or wmp11 streaming music, often open but idle anyway, wlm11, on wifi. not snappy, but not slow.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/951186-windows-7-will-kill-xp-ahead-of-windows-8-its-just-a-matter-of-time/page__st__165__p__593348170#entry593348170

you should check out that, buddy thinks running windows xp and doing online banking is a gurantee that your banking information will get hijacked and not once that entire thread proved why. i don't even know why i replied, i had him blocked, what he said just showed up on something one of you guys quoted.

more personal attack demonstrating you've lost this debate.

as well as putting words into my mouth. running windows xp there is a high risk of having your banking information comprismied than windows 7 because win7 is more secure and less susceptible to attack than winxp from the ground up.

are you going to resort to calling people trolls now like you did in the thread you link and advertise your block list and following me around for a week to tell everyone that i'm a troll and you've blocked me? :laugh:

i've only been asked to provide a screenshot once in this thread, and the only screenshots i see in this thread are in the OP. it's past 12 here and not a good time to fire up my netbook and start blaring music just to oblige your fancies.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say no screenshot or proof wil be provided by you?

making fun of people's typing on the internet is totally cool and makes your credible.

It takes that long to boot a netbook? And that netbook doesn't have a 'mute' option?

Sad.

• Like 2

the things you think make s your equally specced apple products superior are again superlative. and do not account for the huge premium. they are minor at best.

How hard is it to understand the concept of "personal opinion"? Just because you think that way, DOESN'T mean it's right.

It takes that long to boot a netbook? And that netbook doesn't have a 'mute' option?

Sad.

it's downstairs...

post a screenshot of your n450 based netbook running those things with 100% cpu usage.

i provided one, you know that whole proof thing we are going on about, i provided some. and i presume hitting the mute button would SOOO HARD TO DO FOR YOU!!!

no, but it's easy as hell when we have people like you posting.

you find one comparably specced machine and we will all believe you.

more silliness and logic abuse and so on, as well as unwarranted self importance in the demonstration of presenting your opinions as facts, while failing to understand the lack of presumption on my part that my opinions are facts or my experiences the rule.

you're attempt to school as in the english language has failed miserably. no one understands what the hell you just said there.

that being said, again, 10 tabs in firefox including youtube streaming, or wmp11 streaming music, often open but idle anyway, wlm11, on wifi. not snappy, but not slow.

there's that BS again...

How hard is it to understand the concept of "personal opinion". Just because you think that way, DOESN'T mean it's right.

if you specced the price of those little extra you really think they would come close to the difference between a mac and a equally specced oem or custom built windows machine? REALLY? :laugh:

strange i keep hearing about compatibility issues between the osx version of office and the windows version of office. from wha ti hear it's slightly better than trying to open documents made in open office on ms office.

speaking of the mini they use them at my docotrs office and they're always complaining about them freezing up all the time. makes making appointments a lengthy process.

Strange indeed, my wife's lappy (XP) has never had trouble reading any document I've created in OS X or vice versa. As far as the mini goes, I was hesitant but more than impressed once I saw it perform. Dunno what version your docs office has, but the HD alone is awesome. Full screen HD from this little thing on my 24" monitor or my big screen on the wall is very nice.

if you specced the price of those little extra you really think they would come close to the difference between a mac and a equally specced oem or custom built windows machine? REALLY? :laugh:

You do realize that you CAN'T price a worth of those extras, because NOBODY else does it. Yet again you have no idea what you are talking about...

i don't know a lot of non power users that run powerpoint or excel on their home PC, and if they do they probably aren't going to be buying an all in one. they sure as hell aren't going to be running ms office on a imac for long if they're doing job work in those apps.

My mom must get at least 2-3 email a day that have a powerpoint attachment. Now we're not talking about anything interesting, most of them are jokes or cute picture (not sure why powerpoint became such a popular medium for sending crap like that :unsure: ). All of her friends who are part of this junk mail sending group are typical home users (meaning they all have Office installed (or at least powerpoint viewer)).

No I don't care whether you are writing the world's best motivational presentation in powerpoint or just reading some dumb joke in it, if it slows down your computer to a crawl you're not going to be happy (and it would if you're using an Atom while listening to music, browsing and reading your mail).

i provided one, you know that whole proof thing we are going on about, i provided some. and i presume hitting the mute button would SOOO HARD TO DO FOR YOU!!!

no, but it's easy as hell when we have people like you posting.

you find one comparably specced machine and we will all believe you.

you're attempt to school as in the english language has failed miserably. no one understands what the hell you just said there.

there's that BS again...

what screen did you post? where? i've read this whole thread and haven't noticed any outside of the OP.

tread the OP again.

prove it's BS. you say my claims are false, prove it. you seem to have the means. why would i even use my netbook if it couldn't do that?

anyways it's time for bed. this thread has devolved into the usual fanboyism and personal attacks that happen in every single one of these threads. i just wish people would post them in general instead of hardware hangout.

it's downstairs...

post a screenshot of your n450 based netbook running those things with 100% cpu usage.

My son has a Dell 'nickelodeon edition' Atom netbook, which I have done a clean install of Win7 onto. I know how dog slow it is, thanks. I can't imagine a minor spec bump like what you have would be drastically better.

As for doing any of what you stated you can do for 'hours' at a time, you must be on crack. Any flash-based content at all absolutely kills the battery life.

more personal attack demonstrating you've lost this debate.

nah bud, that's just you holding on to your opinion as fact. because clearly you are unable to see, here is my screenshot again proving how bad flash runs on a netbook and how it kills any sort of multitsking ability

971902866.png

on the right of where you see the two separate numbers indicating temperature and on the left of the indictor which shows how much RAM i am currently using is the CPU usage monitor. Notice how it's going at full blast trying to play a 360p trailer. I tried to load neowin on it at the same time and took almost 30 seconds to do so. these things suck balls at multitasking, especially with your youtube example.

you think maybe there is a reason why everyone quotes your non sense and asks you to back it up? maybe because what your saying is wrong or without facts all it does is sound like you are talking out of your ass?

Firstly, I highly advise you to look up what the world "superlative" means, because the way you're using it makes you sound like a complete idiot.

See, this is what I don't get. Are you describing me, or yourself? Because you're using anecdotal evidence (your own experience) to decide what people need or don't need. You're such a baby, all you ever do when I take the trouble to logically reply to you is tell me I'm "abusing logic" or "being silly". Tell me,where am I abusing logic? Seriously, I really, really want to know where I'm abusing logic. Or is it just easier for you to keep answering with condescending phrases like "oh why should i bother" and just run away like you did before?

I don't care if you can have 10 tabs open in Firefox or whatever, the point is that people who own Macs don't have to deal with that "not snappy but not slow" part. That's a fact, not an opinion.

as well as putting words into my mouth. running windows xp there is a high risk of having your banking information comprismied than windows 7 because win7 is more secure and less susceptible to attack than winxp from the ground up.

Ih look, you can read the advertisements on Microsoft's webpage. If you knew anything about anything, you'd know that 90% of the security of internet banking lies with the internet browser and browsing habits/practices. An alternate browser with a good firewall/AV and decent browsing practices is all you need to stay safe.

are you going to resort to calling people trolls now like you did in the thread you link and advertise your block list and following me around for a week to tell everyone that i'm a troll and you've blocked me? :laugh:

Funny you should talk about calling people trolls, I distinctly remembering offering to take a video of something to prove to you that you were wrong, and youc alled me a troll in return.

If you didn't jump down people's throats and chose to be a bit more humble, people would give you the benefit of the doubt.

Instead all you do is say "oh, you abuse logic" or "oh, you're being a troll" or "oh, you didn't read what I wrote" and you don't seem to get that ironically, the reason people are taking issue with you is because they're reading each and every single thing you say, which I don't even think you are doing.

Strange indeed, my wife's lappy (XP) has never had trouble reading any document I've created in OS X or vice versa. As far as the mini goes, I was hesitant but more than impressed once I saw it perform. Dunno what version your docs office has, but the HD alone is awesome. Full screen HD from this little thing on my 24" monitor or my big screen on the wall is very nice.

i guess people on internet tech forums are wrong. ok

You do realize that you CAN'T price a worth of those extras, because NOBODY else does it. Yet again you have no idea what you are talking about...

i'm sure apple does. :whistle:

My mom must get at least 2-3 email a day that have a powerpoint attachment. Now we're not talking about anything interesting, most of them are jokes or cute picture (not sure why powerpoint became such a popular medium for sending crap like that :unsure: ). All of her friends who are part of this junk mail sending group are typical home users (meaning they all have Office installed (or at least powerpoint viewer)).

No I don't care whether you are writing the world's best motivational presentation in powerpoint or just reading some dumb joke in it, if it slows down your computer to a crawl you're not going to be happy (and it would if you're using an Atom while listening to music, browsing and reading your mail).

then my mom gets them and views them on her netbook too, since she's into chain emails and such. but this is news to me in general. my mom who is into those jok.chain emails hasn't asked about ms office or powerpoint, unless a powerpoint reader is included with windows starter.

Firstly, I highly advise you to look up what the world "superlative" means, because the way you're using it makes you sound like a complete idiot.

See, this is what I don't get. Are you describing me, or yourself? Because you're using anecdotal evidence (your own experience) to decide what people need or don't need. You're such a baby, all you ever do when I take the trouble to logically reply to you is tell me I'm "abusing logic" or "being silly". Tell me,where am I abusing logic? Seriously, I really, really want to know where I'm abusing logic. Or is it just easier for you to keep answering with condescending phrases like "oh why should i bother" and just run away like you did before?

I don't care if you can have 10 tabs open in Firefox or whatever, the point is that people who own Macs don't have to deal with that "not snappy but not slow" part. That's a fact, not an opinion.

Ih look, you can read the advertisements on Microsoft's webpage. If you knew anything about anything, you'd know that 90% of the security of internet banking lies with the internet browser and browsing habits/practices. An alternate browser with a good firewall/AV and decent browsing practices is all you need to stay safe.

Funny you should talk about calling people trolls, I distinctly remembering offering to take a video of something to prove to you that you were wrong, and youc alled me a troll in return.

If you didn't jump down people's throats and chose to be a bit more humble, people would give you the benefit of the doubt.

Instead all you do is say "oh, you abuse logic" or "oh, you're being a troll" or "oh, you didn't read what I wrote" and you don't seem to get that ironically, the reason people are taking issue with you is because they're reading each and every single thing you say, which I don't even think you are doing.

roflz seriously, you can't make up posts like this.

also nice typing. ;)

nah bud, that's just you holding on to your opinion. because clearly you are unable to see, here is my screenshot again proving how bad flash runs on a netbook and how it kills any sort of multitsking ability

971902866.png

on the right of where you see the two separate numbers indicating temperature and on the left of the indictor which shows how much RAM i am currently using is the CPU usage monitor. Notice how it's going at full blast trying to play a 360p trailer. I tried to load neowin on it at the same time and took almost 30 seconds to do so. these things suck balls at multitasking, especially with your youtube example.

you think maybe there is a reason why everyone quotes your non sense and asks you to back it up? maybe because what your saying is wrong or without facts all it does is sound like you are talking out of your ass?

osx. ofc it runs bad. welkl documented. base cause is apple hating adobe flash for some reason. post a screenshot from that scenario under win7 and try again.

osx. ofc it runs bad. welkl documented. base cause is apple hating adobe flash for some reason. post a screenshot from that scenario under win7 and try again.

you know that flash on a gma chipset run the exact same regardless of OS because there is NO HARDWARE ACCELERATION... it's all cpu bound. if anything, this would be the perfect moment for you to stick one to us "apple fanboys" and prove that windows 7 does things like multitasking better with the proof you refuse to provide (maybe because there isn't any?)

also nice typing. ;)

buddy, you have no right to call out people on their typing abilities and his was fine on that one. you call him out on a post where you say:

osx. ofc it runs bad. welkl documented. base cause is apple hating adobe flash for some reason.

the hell does that even mean?

i guess people on internet tech forums are wrong. ok

Wow. Did treemonster just go through a realization phase? Someone alert the kitchens, we must celebrate this. Anyone else tempted to sig the above? I know I am.

also nice typing.

Seriously? Grow the hell up. One post, that's all I'm asking for, one post where you raise your pudgy fingers to actually reply to me, rather than give me some one-liner mockery or insult. You just don't know what it means to reply to someone who has a point, I'm sure if you mustered up some mental strength, you'd actually come out with decent points rather than insults or mockery.

Also, I wouldn't be insulting other users' typing, since they do a hell of a lot better than you do, even those who don't know English as a first language. You don't seem to understand what those squiggly red lines under a lot of your words mean, either.

...why haven't you posted a screenshot of YOUR setup which you claim to be working just fine?

you know that flash on a gma chipset run the exact same regardless of OS because there is NO HARDWARE ACCELERATION... it's all cpu bound. if anything, this would be the perfect moment for you to stick one to us "apple fanboys" and prove that windows 7 does things like multitasking better with the proof you refuse to provide (maybe because there isn't any?)

I just fired up my HP netbook and played the same video on YouTube. Sure enough the CPU usage spiked to 100% instantly. Not much else that needs to be said about it. ;)

• Like 2

Here, since treemonster didn't bother to look up the meaning of the word "superlative" when he used it to describe Macs.

superlative (suːˈpɜːlətɪv)

? adj

1. of outstanding quality, degree, etc; supreme

2. grammar positive Compare comparative denoting the form of an adjective or adverb that expresses the highest or a very high degree of quality. In English the superlative degree is usually marked by the suffix -est or the word most, as in loudest or most loudly

3. (of language or style) excessive; exaggerated

? n

4. a thing that excels all others or is of the highest quality

5. grammar the superlative form of an adjective

6. the highest degree; peak

Great job admitting that Macs are of outstanding quality :)