F1 World Championship 2011 Thread

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will win the Constructor's Championship?

• Red Bull Renault
    • McLaren Mercedes
    • Ferrari
    • Mercedes GP
    • Lotus Renault GP
    • Williams Cosworth
    • Force India Mercedes
    • Sauber Ferrari
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso Ferrari
    • Team Lotus Renault
    • Hispania Racing Team Cosworth
    • Marussia Virgin Racing Cosworth
  2. 2. Which driver will win the World Driver's Championship?

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Mark Webber
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Jenson Button
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Felipe Massa
    • Michael Schumacher
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Nick Heidfeld
    • Vitali Petrov
    • Rubens Barichello
    • Pastor Madonaldo
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Paul di Resta
    • Kamui Kobayashi
    • Sergio Perez
    • Sebastian Buemi
    • Jaime Algersuari
    • Other (specify below)

yeah 2 stops, I hope Button gets his KERS sorted, 3rd 4th and 5th is shaping up to be a really good race...

Edit: scratch that his KERS is back and working!

Button's KERS is working again now. :)

And Maldonado clearly hasn't learnt his lesson from the drive-through penalty; he's still overtaking the front-runners!

Button's KERS is working again now. :)

And Maldonado clearly hasn't learnt his lesson from the drive-through penalty; he's still overtaking the front-runners!

Haha Maldanardo under investigation again!

Haha Maldanardo under investigation again!

So was Senna and Alguersuari. Think they all got drive-throughs. Senna definitely did.

ooo err, I don't like the way Alonso is going faster here.

and after the race investigation for Maldanardo...haha another grid place penalty me thinks.

Brilliant result for Mclaren and Lewis, well driven and well deserved he needed a good confidence boost. Hopefully it will spur him on into the final race of season.

Double DRS was a ridiculous decision just trading places then instantly back again.

Brilliant result for Mclaren and Lewis, well driven and well deserved he needed a good confidence boost. Hopefully it will spur him on into the final race of season.

Double DRS was a ridiculous decision just trading places then instantly back again.

Yeah final race should be really exciting, you say that but it confuses me, why do the drivers not use the 1st DRS to close rather than pass, then use the 2nd for the pass....passing knowing your handing DRS to the other driver just seems stupid...

How did Hamilton not get a penalty for clearly making contact with Sebastion Vettel and causing his flat tyre? /s

But seriously, I enjoyed that race. Good result for McLaren and I really liked the pre-race bit with Lewis about the drivers viewing position (mirrors et al) very interesting

Thought of something else today which I think would be good for F1.

Teams have a number 1 driver and a number 2.

With driver number 1, usually things are done in the favour of them, ie slightly better strategic team, less likely to run the car in experimental mode (new bits etc)

So I got me thinking, if Driver 2 was to finish the season with more points than Driver 1, should Driver 2 be promoted to Driver 1. In my mind it'll spice up more of a personal battle as there are battling for the number 1 slot within their team.

This way Driver 2, won't always be used as a test, and surely the mental note of being the "2nd driver" would upset me slightly.

What do you lot think, or am I thinking too much :p

I think you would be causing a lot more problems, a lot of teams say their drivers are treated the same but then look at the problems its caused when hamilton and alonso raced in the same team, and currently with vettel and webber (webber several times has referred to himself as the second driver)

It creates an unpleasent environment within the teams and you would see drivers almost contantly backstabbing and jumping ship all the time

I think you would be causing a lot more problems, a lot of teams say their drivers are treated the same but then look at the problems its caused when hamilton and alonso raced in the same team, and currently with vettel and webber (webber several times has referred to himself as the second driver)

It creates an unpleasent environment within the teams and you would see drivers almost contantly backstabbing and jumping ship all the time

agreed, most teamates seem to be treated evenly, and seem to get on very well Hamilton and Button for example, but in teams where it not even you can see the tension, Vettle/Webber and Alonso/Massa.

If anything I think teams should be forced to put updates on both cars at the same time to help keep the driver treated fairly.

• 2 weeks later...

Sky Sports to launch bespoke F1 channel for 2012 coverage

Sky Sports will launch a dedicated new channel, Sky Sports F1 HD, for its coverage of Formula 1 races in 2012.

Starting in March next year, the channel will offer live coverage of every practice, qualifying session and race throughout the season, with Sky confirming that races will be broadcast without adverts.

Sky's interactive service will also allow fans to follow on-track action through a selection of on-board cameras and race data, and also allow them to go behind the scenes with the teams along the pit lane.

Sky says the channel will be provided at no extra cost to existing Sky Sports 1 and 2 or Sky HD subscribers, and will also be available online and through mobile and tablet devices via Sky Go.

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports, said the deal would give fans greater access to Formula 1 both at each grand prix and across the season.

"Formula 1 followers are hungry for more and we want to give them the ultimate experience," Francis said. "It's not just every minute of every race but a channel devoted to Formula 1.

"We can now tell the whole story of the season, from every grand prix, from start to finish. Formula 1 will get the full Sky Sports treatment.

"We have big plans for live shows and a rich line-up of Formula 1 programmes; getting to the drivers, exploring the technology and lapping up the drama.

"With a dedicated channel for Formula 1 we can also give all sports fans the depth and breadth of sports they demand every weekend, right through the year."

Source: Autosport

With a dedicated channel for Formula 1 we can make more money as you won't be getting it on any other service than Sky <hubba hubba hubba money money money> $$ $$

Looks like its going to be a subscription and tablet/laptop arrangement to watch it then :(

And before anyone says just get a satellite dish I can't as they are banned where I live (conservation area)

From the F1 Fanatic comments section:

Hi @Keith-Collantine, can you explain how you worked out that the HD package is over ?600? You don?t need Sports AND HD, just one or the other. That?s my understanding anyway.

Basic HD pack is about ?30.75 a month which works out at ?369 for the year. Sky at the moment are offering a free Sky+Hd box and free installation to new subscribers.

... ouch.

Scumbags.

If the Sky Go Monthly ticket wasnt so disgustingly expensive i MIGHT have bought it for F1.

I dont know why the FOM doesnt get with the times like sports in the US which have season tickets so you can watch it via the internet.

Cant get Virgin, cant get Sky, no Sky F1 channel for Freeview/Top Up TV.

Disgusting.

WTF? Pretty sure the BBC said Australia would be on BBC and not Sky. Goodbye season opener. Also gutted that Canada's on Sky (has been a great race the last couple of times) and Monza :/

Oh great, a separate channel for F1? My family's being forced to cut back on the Sky subscription as it is. We already got rid of the movies channels earlier in the year, and soon, the HD channels will be going too. Good thing you only need Sky Sports 1 and 2 or the HD channels to get the F1 channel. The sports channels won't be going at all in our house; my dad and my brother love football too much to get rid of it. If we need to get rid of them though, I'll have to rely on UStream or Justin.tv or some other random streaming website to watch the Sky races.