What feature do you dislike in XP?

I am wondering what people think that shouldn't be in XP?

I think this stupid search companion should go...

TECH0103.GIF

Though, it is easy to switch to the classic search with Tweak UI. :D

I agree.. to get a search going on XP is always a slow process, and its un-necessarily fussy.

I also really hate it when the dog comes bouncing up and you have to disable it!! :)

Wizards (they are actually counter productive, they only contribute to people not learning how their tools work..... they should put the nergy in writing GOOD manuals or guidelines, or howtoos instead..... with wizards, the whole thing just becomes so "esoteric", a good wizard, IMHO should be one that guides you to achieve the things you wanna do... and then you can erase it, next time, you do it yourself. But how they stand now, they just add another layir of mystification and confusion between the user and hte machine.

Shellstyles (common task pane), I think it is the most useless addition to XP actually.

This is why:

1) The Rename shortcut.... I used F2 (or just clicking on the name) for like 8 years and now I get an extra useless shortcut

2) Delete shotcut.... rather use the del button on my keyboard.

3) 'Publish this folder to the web'... ehm yeah... who uses that. (get a decent FTP applicaiton to manage that stuff)

4) 'Move this folder'. CTRL+X and CTRL+V

5) It is damn buggy too. It makes Explorer crash if it can't create a preview of an AVI due do an incorrect header or something.

6) I can go on and on.

The thing is that it takes up space and it does nothing really usefull.

I loathe file protection . . . I mean it's good in theory, but it's annoying when you just want to do something simple like patch your uxtheme.dll, and from then on it just randomly pops up a warning saying to put your cd in . . . hate, hate hate!!!

I don't like that when searching for files WindowsXP scans also the contents of ZIP archives. Wihle it could be useful sometimes it takes a lot of time (250GB of HDD space, almost entirely full) so I should be able to disable this feature when I'm sure the file I'm looking for is not compressed.

i don't like most of the 'features' in windows xp.

windows media player

activation

the fact that notepad and wordpad and paint haven't changed in ~10 years

the fact that you can't use visual styles out of the box

the default settings like:

- auto reboot

- system restore

- auto updates

etc etc.

oh, and i don't like the system tray anymore. the icon hiding feature is a nice idea, but it collects every icon that has ever been in the tray (only if it was there one time) and i have a lan card, with no lan, so i have the little netowrk icon with a red 'x'... windows can never remember to 'always hide' that one.

I don't like that when searching for files WindowsXP scans also the contents of ZIP archives. Wihle it could be useful sometimes it takes a lot of time (250GB of HDD space, almost entirely full) so I should be able to disable this feature when I'm sure the file I'm looking for is not compressed.

i thought you could turn that off under advanced options?

*shrug*

- automatic update

- system restore

- cd writer

- movie maker

- messenger service

- windows media player

... and other proprietary crap that

and of course product activation.

- automatic update

- system restore

- cd writer

- movie maker

- messenger service

- windows media player

What's wrong with automatic updates and system restore?

oh, and i don't like the system tray anymore. the icon hiding feature is a nice idea, but it collects every icon that has ever been in the tray (only if it was there one time) and i have a lan card, with no lan, so i have the little netowrk icon with a red 'x'... windows can never remember to 'always hide' that one.

I had that for a while too, so I just went into Network Connections and disabled the icon in the system tray.

The feature I hate most is the 'install' feature, I mean come on who want's to install it. The 'unistall' feature is great but I just feel the product would have been better if it couldn't be installed :p

i hate this!..i don't know what the f*ck happened and when it started, and i don't know how the f*ck to fix it..but its been like that for the longest time...

I don't think that is a Windows XP Feature... but, anyways, it looks wierd... :alien:

i hate this!..i don't know what the f*ck happened and when it started, and i don't know how the f*ck to fix it..but its been like that for the longest time...

Just search through your registry until you find that key, I can't remember where it is but it's there somewhere.

I dislike not being able to properly uninstall the useless crap I dont want.

Why cant there be an option on setup which lets YOU decide what features you want. Movie Maker, Media Player etc.

- automatic update

- system restore

- cd writer

- movie maker

- messenger service

- windows media player

What's wrong with automatic updates and system restore?

they slow down the computer :crazy:

i hate IE the most ;)

even with the fact i think its the best browser for windows lol :laugh:

i love Konqueror so much :happy: