Meet the browser: Firefox Next

Australis looks better on Mac an Linux than it does on Windows IMHO 

Firefox development team is mostly mac heads so it makes sense.

http://getaustralis.com/

A hint that Australis will finally land soon? 

image-mainWindow.png

Firefox goes Chrome.

Aside from the new placement of the menu, I really don't think that looks very much like google chrome. the menu itself actually looks a lot different than chrome's too. And the new customization UI, while in some ways more limited than the old one, is still far more customization than you get with chrome's interface.

Australis looks better on Mac an Linux than it does on Windows IMHO 

Based on the above screenshot, it does look a lot better in windows 8 than firefox's current UI though. The current firefox UI on windows is optimized to look good in windows 7, and still looks windows 7-ey in windows 8, and there's some really obvious issues in parts of the UI, like the firefox menu has some windows 7-style highlights and some windows 8 style ones. All-in-all I think australis looks better than the current UI on all platforms.

im not a Big fan of Windows7 or 8. cant say i liked Aero.  which is why IMO why i think Australis looks better in Mac an Linux than it does on Win7 an 8  . but i agree the new Australis UI looks much better than Chrome does 

Firefox development team is mostly mac heads so it makes sense.

The development team focuses on <whatever platform I don't use>

The team is all mixed, some use Mac, others Windows, others Linux, etc. There's no one specific OS they focus on.

This is not going to work well. I have 7 addons with buttons and this is how it look (not good). Adblock plus icon is missing because of incompatibility, but once they fix that, one more button is going to be on that toolbar.

CdsJxBv.jpg

Firefox is loosing it. They've cocked up with this australis nonsense. If I wanted a browser that look like Chrome and crippled like one, then I would use Chrome.

I'll be the first one to jump out of this disasterous bandwagon they are heading to.

So what you're saying, is if you put all your addon buttons into the toolbar, they take up a lot of room in the toolbar?

That's kind of a given.

The idea is that you put them in the dropdown palette, by default they shouldn't appear in the toolbar at all (But because a lot of addons insert their buttons automatically, and aren't aware of Australis, they're currently inserted directly into the main toolbar)

Just tried out the UX build and it's still hideous just like I thought it would be. I'm really not sure what they were thinking taking the bookmark start out of the url bar and so many other things don't seem to make a lot of sense too.

And maybe it's the windows theme I'm using but they are still using the ugly blue color as well.

Screenshot w/ multiple tabs open (10+), one download in progress, one just finished, on Windows 8 / 8.1 desktop with non-blue theme please

Yeah, I'm guessing future extensions should have better support for australis.  I assume that buttons with drop down menus can be coded to work in the menu better (using the slide over effect). 

By the way, adblock plus works fine. You just have to restore defaults on the customize tab to get it to show up, then you can place the button where you want.*

* either in the navigation bar or in the tab bar for now.  The menu is not a real option for the time being.

Screenshot w/ multiple tabs open (10+), one download in progress, one just finished, on Windows 8 / 8.1 desktop with non-blue theme please

There are no themes that currently work in australis aside from the simple (read:crap) ones.  Australis isn't in the nightlies yet and themers don't bother with making themes until it's at least in beta.

Mozilla is confusing a background tab and random hard to read text that doesn't belong there with a tiny image. Hello eyestrain!

The tabs do not abide by design standards of any OS as far as I can tell.

It is hard to understand that three horizontal lines is the tools bar.

There are options on left side and on the right side of the interface, instead of like it one place. EDIT: Wait, what is that on the left next to favorites?

Gradients and round corners look extremely out of place on Windows 8. Mozilla seems to be ignoring that Windows 8 / 8.1 exists.

The scrollbar looks extremely out of place.

Download speed is not shown?

Firefox is saying that the download will take 9 minutes and 10 minutes at the same time, go home Firefox you are drunk.

only way to get the Download speed to show an thats to click on " show all Downloads " or use the Exrension " DownThemAll " 

but i dont use Firefox much nowadays anyway 

only way to get the Download speed to show an thats to click on " show all Downloads " or use the Exrension " DownThemAll " 

Download StatusBar is a decent option as well, fairly customizable as to what it shows, speed included, no clicking required. Nice in conjunction with Download Manager Tweak.

How does the scrollbar look out of place? Where else are they going to put it.

I think he means it doesn't match the rest of the UI elements. The scroll bars are native when nothing else in the picture is except for the close/min/max buttons.

How does the scrollbar look out of place? Where else are they going to put it.

Mozilla needs to replace it with Firefox native scrollbar.

Or make Firefox native on Windows 8.