Meet the browser: Firefox Next

8 hours ago, Steven P. said:

What's Cyberfox and why does it benefit with the (Intel/AMD) CPU variant over Firefox? (I use Chrome, Firefox and Edge (the latter only if I must!))

Would there be any benefit to me switching from Firefox x64 to Cyberfox Intel x64? (I am rocking an i5-4400 Haswell btw fellas) 

At this point, no it offers nothing over the 64-bit FireFox from Mozilla. IMO it is snake oil now. The only benefit it had IMO was when FF did not have a 64-bit release, these guys were doing them. However, they are generally behind in security patches and bug fixes because they wait for Mozilla to push the fixes, then they will "optimize" the builds. Sticking with the official 64-bit from Mozilla is your best bet.

6 hours ago, Boo Berry said:

How is the coding different? Where's the source code?

You're right. It isn't coded differently and they rely on Mozilla for changes and fixes. At this point, it is just run through a compiler to "enhance" speed on Intel chips, but really it does not do much these days. See my comment to Steven, but at this point it is no faster than Mozilla official 64-bit builds.

The current release of both Firefox and Cyberfox will be very different when release 56  comes around. Many Mozilla devs have left evidently Tab Mix Plus will no longer be updated.  Oneman released the source code for TMP.The speed issue was already addressed as well as the difference between the two. I may try Edge or stay with Slimjet 64 Bit.

3 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

The move from XUL based extensions to Webextensions will have no effect on like 99% of users. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. LOL No matter what Firefox does they will never overcome Chrome just because of Google's superior marketing position.

For years people decried XUL, saying it was slow and bloated and all those buzz words, now when Mozilla decide to kill it and move to something more modern suddenly XUL is the most important browser feature.

Same with XPCOM, I don't think anybody has ever actually liked that.

Edit: It's going to end up more like Vivaldi than Chrome anyway.

• Like 2

Here’s Why Firefox is Still Years Behind Google Chrome

No Multi-Process Architecture

CPUs are gaining more and more cores, becoming capable of doing more work in parallel. Single-core CPUs have become unheard of, and even the lowest-power computers have dual-core CPUs at the least. The future is an ever-increasing amount of CPU cores, and computer programs will have to become capable of doing more work in parallel to take advantage of all this processing power.

Read the rest at the link. I believe that this is what Firefox wants to accomplish.

That article is from 2013, and Firefox has made significant progress since then, including Electrolysis (e10s) landing.

Firefox already has multiple processes, for example I've set dom.ipc.processCount to 99 (not recommended for normal users, limit to 9 instead!) and it works perfectly.

Edited by Boo Berry

1 hour ago, Boo Berry said:

That article is from 2013, and Firefox has made significant progress since then, including Electrolysis (e10s) landing.

Firefox already has multiple processes, for example I've set dom.ipc.processCount to 99 (not recommended for normal users, limit to 9 instead!) and it works perfectly.

I do not as some of my extensions block it.

dom.ipc.processCount for me is set to 1

19 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

If you're brave, you can override the extension block for e10s.

I tried that with your help some months ago and I could not get it to work. I will just wait for the change.

Ahh, yes. Yeah, e10s makes a major difference in performance, and should be a lot much better once WebExtensions is enforced (though some extensions like Tabs Mix Plus and Classic Theme Restorer will be likely gone, sadly).

I used to use a lot of extensions, but over time I cut them back until I use one (will be two once LastPass has a WebExtension version ready - AFAIK, it still uses compatibility shims but they are working on it!).

29 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

Thunderbird development is basically dead, except for bug fixes, small additions and security fixes.

He wrote that in 2015, he may not even bother now.

I was wondering about that since he released the source code of TMP.

On 01/02/2017 at 10:04 PM, Boo Berry said:

Also it conflates threads with processes. Firefox is already heavily multi-threaded (JS parsing/compilation happens on separate threads to execution, HTML parsing on a separate thread, media decoding uses thread pools, etc.), but certain parts of the web platform mandate a single thread model. Chrome fixed that through using multiple processes for content, while Mozilla is planning on using the Opera model of co-operative multitasking (Along with multiple content processes for crash resistance)

• 2 weeks later...

Multiprocess in FF 51-52 solved Rated 5 out of 5 stars

by Anonymous user d47b20 on February 9, 2017 · permalink · translate

According to Tab Mix Plus developers http://tabmixplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19761 , in Firefox 51 and 52, multiprocess is disabled with TMP even though it seems to be fully compatible.

To manually enable multiprocess, add new Boolean preference (right click -> New ) to about:config and set it to 'True':

browser.tabs.remote.force-enable

I tried the above with TMP and it works in Firefox 51. Just an FYI for anyone using this.

On 31/01/2017 at 0:20 PM, Gary7 said:

I will not be using Fx 57.

i barely use Firefox nowadays. an there wont be much point in using Firefox when it hits 57 an beyond , it'll be interesting to see how Many Extensions there are for firefox at 57 an beyond 

i'd expect Firefox 55 an 56 to start killing off extensions that wont be changed into a webextension 

9 hours ago, Boo Berry said:

Quite like the Compact Light and Compact Dark themes currently in Nightly. Can't wait for them to land in the stable channel! :D

dont have to wait, just go get a Dark Solid Theme 

10 hours ago, Boo Berry said:

Not a fan of dark themes, honestly. I'll wait for Compact Light to land.

do you know what it actually looks like on the browser? the CL ?

17 minutes ago, Demz said:

do you know what it actually looks like on the browser? the CL ?

ok i just looked at the compact light theme in Dev Edition, to me it didnt look to good., but i tend to not to use themes at all in Browsers, well not in Linux anyway. though there is One attractive theme  i do know of that Frank Lion does, ( Metal Lion )

1 minute ago, Demz said:

ok i just looked at the compact light theme in Dev Edition, to me it didnt look to good., but i tend to not to use themes at all in Browsers, well not in Linux anyway. though there is One attractive theme  i do know of that Frank Lion does, ( Metal Lion )

I used that one for a tad, I use FT Deep Dark now.