Meet the browser: Firefox Next

BudChekov

Correct, they've been talking about this for years.

I found this amusing, studying who and where, more Mozilla **, no ones asked me and I've never heard of these (Geolocation and telemetry on results?) 'user studies', anyone else?,

We’re currently running a series of user studies to make sure we understand how users search

AndyAmo
20 hours ago, BudChekov said:

Other browsers DO  have it, do your homework,  also with 32 search engines remembering 'keywords' is a joke.

I barely use that confusing mess better known as the 'awesome bar, me thinks the moz devs don't have a clue how to use the search bar.

You might be pleased to know that the address bar in version 55.0a1 (Nightly) now looks much like a replica of the search bar, complete with a "search with" panel exactly like the current search bar. The only thing missing is a "Paste and Search" option in the context menu. In this version at least, the search bar seems totally redundant.

BudChekov

Where's one of the most important features of the Search Bar, search term history?

With a little code or the right Theme, still viewable on a dropdown;  click the v in the SB, on the right.

• 3 weeks later...
+Zagadka

This is really a tiny point of contention, but FF's Incognito mode doesn't even engage if you have certain privacy settings. Which can be unnerving, since if you don't have it set up, you won't know. Hitting incognito should visibly point out that you are in a private more.

• 2 weeks later...
AndyAmo

I have just loaded Nightly v57.0a1. I was expecting all so called Legacy Extensions to be disabled much like those Extensions that are not multi-process compatible. Apparently that has not happened... yet?

bawz
5 hours ago, AndyAmo said:

I have just loaded Nightly v57.0a1. I was expecting all so called Legacy Extensions to be disabled much like those Extensions that are not multi-process compatible. Apparently that has not happened... yet?

i dont think they'll be disabled till the 8th  but if you use Ublock Origin you can install the WebExtension Beta of it now https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/versions/beta

bawz
29 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Just FYI, currently as if, if you install the webextension beta the add-on will still show 'legacy' under add-ons.

once the Hybrid Webextension goes final it'll automatically update you on the AMO site anyway .  but if ones using 57 Alpha they'll have to use the WebExtensions cause at some point Mozilla will disable Legacy Extensions [Meta] Things to remove once legacy add-ons cannot be run on release

Stuff we can remove when XPCOM extensions are no longer supported

bawz

We’re very close (and on track!) to our feature-complete target date of August 7th. There are still a few key things incoming, but we are starting to shift towards bug-fixing and polish instead of adding whole new features.

Photon

AndyAmo
9 hours ago, Demz said:

i dont think they'll be disabled till the 8th  but if you use Ublock Origin you can install the WebExtension Beta of it now https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/versions/beta

7 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Just FYI, currently as if, if you install the webextension beta the add-on will still show 'legacy' under add-ons.

Replaced Ublock Origin with beta version as you recommended and it is marked as legacy as you say. It runs just fine. Have now started perusing Add-on Site to discover which extensions are WebExtensions. At the moment you can filter on "Works with v57" but can't filter on "Compatible with v57". I'm going to have to assume that after the 8th, or there about, only WebExtensions will be filtered as working with v57. Almost looking forward to trying to find replacements for my extension collection which is mostly flagged as Legacy.

I do have one question. My Nightly browser syncs with a stable Firefox browser, am I going to have any problems with extensions being synched across the two browsers?

bawz

im not 100% sure bout that synce , but i would think you'd be fine. i dont think there ( Mozilla ) will be changing how Synce works in 57 onwards, least i havent noticed or seen anything,

Circaflex

I have to say, the last two weeks of nightly builds have been blazing fast. At this point, FF is back to be my main browser and I couldn't be happier. I also read this comment from the maintainer of uBlock origin, which sounds like great news as well.

the reason why i use firefox is that it used to have superior adblocking capabilites compared to chrome […] will this still be the case when in firefox 57 ublockO will be an webext ?

and here is gorhill's response 

Yes:

-Chromium-based browsers do not support user styles

-Chromium-based browsers can’t block data: URI-based requests through the webRequest API.

-Chromium-based browsers are being “infested” by Instart Logic tech8.0k which works around blockers and worst, around browser privacy settings (they may start “infecting” Firefox eventually, but that is not happening now).

-I am not aware of any anti-fingerprinting initiative taken up with Chromium, unlike with Firefox2.0k.

-Etc.

T

here is much more I could list here. It baffles me that some people thinks Firefox is becoming a “Chrome clone”, it’s just not the case, it’s just plain silly to make such statement.

Neyht

anyone else getting this on todays nightly?

Untitled.thumb.png.ece596c2ae0bd9a263e28a9e450a49f5.png

That's a picture of the taskbar by the way.

bawz
2 hours ago, Ned said:

anyone else getting this on todays nightly?

Untitled.thumb.png.ece596c2ae0bd9a263e28a9e450a49f5.png

That's a picture of the taskbar by the way.

thats not a Bug, the devs are just having fun with icons , its been talked about over in the mozillazine forum

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Mozilla launches Firefox 81 with new Alpenglow theme
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has announced the availability of Firefox 81. The new update comes with a raft of new features including audio and video control from your keyboard or headset, a new browser theme called Alpenglow, and credit card autofill in the U.S. and Canada.

With the ability to pause and play audio and video in Firefox from your keyboard or headset, you’ll now be able to better control your browser media even when you’re in another Firefox tab, in another program, or when you’re computer is locked. Check out the support page to get more information on the ins and outs of the new tool.

Another nifty feature in Firefox 81 is AcroForm support, which will allow you to fill in, print, and save supported PDF forms. To accompany this, Mozilla has also given the PDF viewer a fresh new look.

With the launch of Firefox 77 in June, Mozilla brought Pocket integration to its browser for users situated in the U.K. With today’s update, users in Austria, Belgium, and Switzerland using the German version of Firefox will now see Pocket recommendations on the new tab page.

Avid shoppers in the United States and Canada will benefit from the ability to save, manage, and autofill credit and debit card information while shopping online. If you can’t see this option just yet, hold on a little while longer while Mozilla completes the rollout. Hopefully, this won’t take too long to arrive for other users around the world.

Finally, Mozilla has added a purple-pinkish theme to its browser. The new theme is dubbed Alpenglow and gives users another theme option aside from Default, Light, and Dark.

If you’re already using Firefox, you'll receive the update automatically in the coming days. You can also press the menu button, go to Help, and then About Firefox to apply the update manually. Linux users will need to wait until their distribution's repositories have been updated. If you don’t use Firefox at all, you can download it from Mozilla’s website.

• By Copernic
      Firefox 81.0
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

Download: Firefox 81.0 for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 81.0 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 81.0 for MacOS | 72.9 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Mozilla is abandoning Firefox Send over malware and spear phishing abuses
      by Jay Bonggolto

Mozilla launched Firefox Send in March 2019 as a tool for uploading large files to its servers and sharing the download link with contacts, all in an encrypted environment. However, Send was abused by bad actors to spread malware and launch spear phishing attacks, leading to the service's suspension this summer when Mozilla began investigating the matter.

Today, Mozilla announced that it won't relaunch Send and, instead, will shut it down for good. The company described the service as "a promising tool for encrypted file sharing", which already "garnered good reach, a loyal audience, and real signs of value throughout its life." Send won't have any major status change since it's already offline.

In addition, Firefox Notes will be shut down in early November. It was launched two years ago as a straightforward note-taking app on Android with end-to-end encryption to keep notes safe. That said, its desktop browser extension will stay in place if you've already installed it. Also, you will be able to export your notes.

These legacy services are part of Mozilla's Firefox Test Pilot program. The decision comes as the company is restructuring its organization and shifting its focus to "new product development and go to market activities". It announced the restructuring last month along with the layoff of some 250 employees.

• By Copernic
      Basilisk 2020.09.11
      by Razvan Serea

Basilisk is a free and Open Source XUL-based web browser created by the developers of the Pale Moon browser. It is based on the Goanna layout and rendering engine (a fork of Gecko) and builds on the Unified XUL Platform (UXP), which in turn is a fork of the Mozilla code base without Servo or Rust.

Basilisk as an application is primarily a vessel for development of the XUL platform it builds upon, and additionally a potential replacement for Firefox to retain the use of Firefox Extensions. It aims to retain useful technologies that its sibling Firefox has removed.

Requires Windows 7 or later. Windows XP or Windows Vista are not supported.

Main features:

Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web browsing. Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java, authentication plugins, etc.). Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions. Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode). Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet available. Support for ALSA on Linux. Support for WebAssembly (WASM). Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features. Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern ciphers, HSTS, etc. Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:

Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more accurate color space (non-premultiplied). Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated. Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232). Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56. Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing). Does not require walled-garden extension signing. Basilisk 2020.09.11 changelog:

Updated JavaScript module loading in accordance with the spec for web compatibility. Disabled a function related to WebComponents to prevent mis-detection. Improved compatibility with websites that try to style standard form elements. Updated the SQLite library to 3.33.0. Changed media errors to be a more generic response, improving user privacy. Improved code stability (fixed a number of crashes). Updated the NSS library for various connection security fixes. Security issues addressed in this release: CVE-2020-15664, CVE-2020-15666, CVE-2020-15667, CVE-2020-15668 and CVE-2020-15669. Unified XUL Platform Mozilla Security Patch Summary: 4 fixed, 1 defense-in-depth, 1 rejected, 9 not applicable. Download: Basilisk 2020.09.11 (32-bit) | Portable | ~50.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Basilisk 2020.09.11 (64-bit) | Portable
      View: Basilisk Website

• By Copernic
      Firefox 80.0.1
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

Firefox 80.0.1 fixes:

Fixed a performance regression when encountering new intermediate CA certificates (bug 1661543) Fixed crashes possibly related to GPU resets (bug 1627616) Fixed rendering on some sites using WebGL (bug 1659225) Fixed the zoom-in keyboard shortcut on Japanese language builds (bug 1661895) Fixed download issues related to extensions and cookies (bug 1655190) Developer:

Developer Information Download: Firefox 80.0.1 for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 80.0.1 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 80.0.1 for MacOS | 72.3 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes