Meet the browser: Firefox Next

BudChekov

Correct, they've been talking about this for years.

I found this amusing, studying who and where, more Mozilla **, no ones asked me and I've never heard of these (Geolocation and telemetry on results?) 'user studies', anyone else?,

We’re currently running a series of user studies to make sure we understand how users search

AndyAmo
20 hours ago, BudChekov said:

Other browsers DO  have it, do your homework,  also with 32 search engines remembering 'keywords' is a joke.

I barely use that confusing mess better known as the 'awesome bar, me thinks the moz devs don't have a clue how to use the search bar.

You might be pleased to know that the address bar in version 55.0a1 (Nightly) now looks much like a replica of the search bar, complete with a "search with" panel exactly like the current search bar. The only thing missing is a "Paste and Search" option in the context menu. In this version at least, the search bar seems totally redundant.

BudChekov

Where's one of the most important features of the Search Bar, search term history?

With a little code or the right Theme, still viewable on a dropdown;  click the v in the SB, on the right.

• 3 weeks later...
+Zagadka

This is really a tiny point of contention, but FF's Incognito mode doesn't even engage if you have certain privacy settings. Which can be unnerving, since if you don't have it set up, you won't know. Hitting incognito should visibly point out that you are in a private more.

• 2 weeks later...
AndyAmo

I have just loaded Nightly v57.0a1. I was expecting all so called Legacy Extensions to be disabled much like those Extensions that are not multi-process compatible. Apparently that has not happened... yet?

bawz
5 hours ago, AndyAmo said:

I have just loaded Nightly v57.0a1. I was expecting all so called Legacy Extensions to be disabled much like those Extensions that are not multi-process compatible. Apparently that has not happened... yet?

i dont think they'll be disabled till the 8th  but if you use Ublock Origin you can install the WebExtension Beta of it now https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/versions/beta

bawz
29 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Just FYI, currently as if, if you install the webextension beta the add-on will still show 'legacy' under add-ons.

once the Hybrid Webextension goes final it'll automatically update you on the AMO site anyway .  but if ones using 57 Alpha they'll have to use the WebExtensions cause at some point Mozilla will disable Legacy Extensions [Meta] Things to remove once legacy add-ons cannot be run on release

Stuff we can remove when XPCOM extensions are no longer supported

bawz

We’re very close (and on track!) to our feature-complete target date of August 7th. There are still a few key things incoming, but we are starting to shift towards bug-fixing and polish instead of adding whole new features.

Photon

AndyAmo
9 hours ago, Demz said:

i dont think they'll be disabled till the 8th  but if you use Ublock Origin you can install the WebExtension Beta of it now https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/versions/beta

7 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Just FYI, currently as if, if you install the webextension beta the add-on will still show 'legacy' under add-ons.

Replaced Ublock Origin with beta version as you recommended and it is marked as legacy as you say. It runs just fine. Have now started perusing Add-on Site to discover which extensions are WebExtensions. At the moment you can filter on "Works with v57" but can't filter on "Compatible with v57". I'm going to have to assume that after the 8th, or there about, only WebExtensions will be filtered as working with v57. Almost looking forward to trying to find replacements for my extension collection which is mostly flagged as Legacy.

I do have one question. My Nightly browser syncs with a stable Firefox browser, am I going to have any problems with extensions being synched across the two browsers?

bawz

im not 100% sure bout that synce , but i would think you'd be fine. i dont think there ( Mozilla ) will be changing how Synce works in 57 onwards, least i havent noticed or seen anything,

Circaflex

I have to say, the last two weeks of nightly builds have been blazing fast. At this point, FF is back to be my main browser and I couldn't be happier. I also read this comment from the maintainer of uBlock origin, which sounds like great news as well.

the reason why i use firefox is that it used to have superior adblocking capabilites compared to chrome […] will this still be the case when in firefox 57 ublockO will be an webext ?

and here is gorhill's response 

Yes:

-Chromium-based browsers do not support user styles

-Chromium-based browsers can’t block data: URI-based requests through the webRequest API.

-Chromium-based browsers are being “infested” by Instart Logic tech8.0k which works around blockers and worst, around browser privacy settings (they may start “infecting” Firefox eventually, but that is not happening now).

-I am not aware of any anti-fingerprinting initiative taken up with Chromium, unlike with Firefox2.0k.

-Etc.

T

here is much more I could list here. It baffles me that some people thinks Firefox is becoming a “Chrome clone”, it’s just not the case, it’s just plain silly to make such statement.

Neyht

anyone else getting this on todays nightly?

Untitled.thumb.png.ece596c2ae0bd9a263e28a9e450a49f5.png

That's a picture of the taskbar by the way.

bawz
2 hours ago, Ned said:

anyone else getting this on todays nightly?

Untitled.thumb.png.ece596c2ae0bd9a263e28a9e450a49f5.png

That's a picture of the taskbar by the way.

thats not a Bug, the devs are just having fun with icons , its been talked about over in the mozillazine forum

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Firefox 88.0.1
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

Firefox 88.0.1 fixes:

Resolved an issue caused by a recent Widevine plugin update which prevented some purchased video content from playing correctly (bug 1705138) Fixed corruption of videos playing on Twitter or WebRTC calls on some Gen6 Intel graphics chipsets (bug 1708937) Fixed menulists in Preferences being unreadable for users with High Contrast Mode enabled (bug 1706496) Various stability and security fixes. Developer:

Developer Information Download: Firefox 88.0.1 for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 88.0.1 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 88.0.1 for MacOS | 126.0 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Laurentiu A.
      Hello Neowinians.

I have one question for all of you...

What is this ugly, beta, squared, badly pixelated THING on my taskbar?
      It says News and interests and yes, I know its a new feature from Microsoft.

But..

How can a billion dollar company, with thousands of employees and rich history in software, design this?
      The sun icon looks very bad, the text that displays the weather is blurry and the app itself is sluggish. 
      How can they release something like this worldwide, without shame?

I am serious...

• By zikalify
      Mozilla releases final Firefox version before Proton upgrade
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has released Firefox 88 with several small but important updates, it is also the final version of Firefox to ship before Mozilla gives Firefox a facelift with the new Proton interface that we reported on earlier in the month. Some of the main changes in Firefox 88 include the disabling of FTP support and the isolation of window.name data to prevent cross-site privacy leaks.

The most important change in this update is the fact that Mozilla has disabled support for the FTP protocol. The browser vendor said its full removal is planned in an upcoming release. The firm said the FTP protocol is a security risk for users because data isn’t encrypted and is therefore susceptible to man-in-the-middle attacks. Disabling the feature will protect users while Mozilla fully removes support.

The Proton interface set to arrive with Firefox 89 Another change on the security front is the isolation of window.name data to prevent cross-site leaks. Mozilla said that window.name data was exempt from the same-origin policy and attackers could take advantage of sensitive information stored this way. Firefox joins Safari in isolating window.name data with Chromium-based browsers planning to do the same in the future. If you’d like to see how this was implemented on a technical level, check out Mozilla’s blog post on the matter.

Other new features include support for JavaScript embedded in PDF files, smooth pinch-zooming with a touchpad on Linux. and improved screen reader support. If you already have Firefox installed it should update on its own in the coming days but if you’d prefer to update it manually go to the menu, select Help, and then press About Firefox. Firefox should then download the update. If you run Linux, the update will be delivered soon via the update manager.

• By Copernic
      Firefox 88.0
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

What's new:

PDF forms now support JavaScript embedded in PDF files. Some PDF forms use JavaScript for validation and other interactive features. Print updates: Margin units are now localized. Smooth pinch-zooming using a touchpad is now supported on Linux To protect against cross-site privacy leaks, Firefox now isolates window.name data to the website that created it. Learn more Fixed

Screen readers no longer incorrectly read content that websites have visually hidden, as in the case of articles in the Google Help panel. Various security fixes. Changed

Firefox will not prompt for access to your microphone or camera if you’ve already granted access to the same device on the same site in the same tab within the past 50 seconds. This new grace period reduces the number of times you’re prompted to grant device access. The ‘Take a Screenshot’ feature was removed from the Page Actions menu in the url bar. To take a screenshot, right-click to open the context menu. You can also add a screenshots shortcut directly to your toolbar via the Customize menu. Open the Firefox menu and select Customize… FTP support has been disabled, and its full removal is planned for an upcoming release. Addressing this security risk reduces the likelihood of an attack while also removing support for a non-encrypted protocol. Enterprise

Various bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the latest version of Firefox. You can see more details in the Firefox for Enterprise 88 Release Notes. Developer Information

Introduced a new toggle button in the Network panel for switching between JSON formatted HTTP response and raw data (as received over the wire). Download: Firefox 88.0 for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 88.0 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 88.0 for MacOS | 126.0 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes

• By Copernic
      Patch My PC Updater 4.2.0.3
      by Razvan Serea

Patch My PC Free is a portable and reliable tool which can quickly check your PC for outdated software. The supported third-party programs include a large number of widely-used applications, including Adobe Reader, Mozilla Firefox, Java, 7-Zip, BleachBit, Google Chrome and many more.

Patch My PC Home updater features:

Updates over 300 common apps check including portable apps Ability to cache updates for use on multiple machines No bloatware during installations Applications install/update silently by default no install wizard needed Optionally, disable silent install to perform a manual custom install Easy to use user interface Installs 64-bit apps by default on 64-bit windows Optionally choose to install 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows Change updated and outdated apps color for color blindness Option to automatically kill programs before updating it Portable and only about 3.0 MB Create a baseline of applications if installing on new PC’s Quickly uninstall multiple programs Scan time is usually less than 1 second Set updates to happen on a schedule Skip updates for any application you don’t want to update Suppresses restarts when performing application updates Patch My PC Updater 4.2.0.3 changelog:

Updated Vivaldi‘s silent install switch Added switch “/norestart” to VNC Server The form can now be resized by any edge instead of only by the grip size at the bottom-right. Download: Patch My PC Updater 4.2.0.3 | 3.0 MB (Freeware)
      View: Patch My PC Free Homepage