Meet the browser: Firefox Next

Correct, they've been talking about this for years.

I found this amusing, studying who and where, more Mozilla **, no ones asked me and I've never heard of these (Geolocation and telemetry on results?) 'user studies', anyone else?,

We’re currently running a series of user studies to make sure we understand how users search

20 hours ago, BudChekov said:

Other browsers DO  have it, do your homework,  also with 32 search engines remembering 'keywords' is a joke.

I barely use that confusing mess better known as the 'awesome bar, me thinks the moz devs don't have a clue how to use the search bar.

You might be pleased to know that the address bar in version 55.0a1 (Nightly) now looks much like a replica of the search bar, complete with a "search with" panel exactly like the current search bar. The only thing missing is a "Paste and Search" option in the context menu. In this version at least, the search bar seems totally redundant.

Where's one of the most important features of the Search Bar, search term history?

With a little code or the right Theme, still viewable on a dropdown;  click the v in the SB, on the right.

• 3 weeks later...

This is really a tiny point of contention, but FF's Incognito mode doesn't even engage if you have certain privacy settings. Which can be unnerving, since if you don't have it set up, you won't know. Hitting incognito should visibly point out that you are in a private more.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just loaded Nightly v57.0a1. I was expecting all so called Legacy Extensions to be disabled much like those Extensions that are not multi-process compatible. Apparently that has not happened... yet?

5 hours ago, AndyAmo said:

I have just loaded Nightly v57.0a1. I was expecting all so called Legacy Extensions to be disabled much like those Extensions that are not multi-process compatible. Apparently that has not happened... yet?

i dont think they'll be disabled till the 8th  but if you use Ublock Origin you can install the WebExtension Beta of it now https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/versions/beta

29 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Just FYI, currently as if, if you install the webextension beta the add-on will still show 'legacy' under add-ons.

once the Hybrid Webextension goes final it'll automatically update you on the AMO site anyway .  but if ones using 57 Alpha they'll have to use the WebExtensions cause at some point Mozilla will disable Legacy Extensions [Meta] Things to remove once legacy add-ons cannot be run on release

Stuff we can remove when XPCOM extensions are no longer supported

We’re very close (and on track!) to our feature-complete target date of August 7th. There are still a few key things incoming, but we are starting to shift towards bug-fixing and polish instead of adding whole new features.

Photon

9 hours ago, Demz said:

i dont think they'll be disabled till the 8th  but if you use Ublock Origin you can install the WebExtension Beta of it now https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/versions/beta

7 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Just FYI, currently as if, if you install the webextension beta the add-on will still show 'legacy' under add-ons.

Replaced Ublock Origin with beta version as you recommended and it is marked as legacy as you say. It runs just fine. Have now started perusing Add-on Site to discover which extensions are WebExtensions. At the moment you can filter on "Works with v57" but can't filter on "Compatible with v57". I'm going to have to assume that after the 8th, or there about, only WebExtensions will be filtered as working with v57. Almost looking forward to trying to find replacements for my extension collection which is mostly flagged as Legacy.

I do have one question. My Nightly browser syncs with a stable Firefox browser, am I going to have any problems with extensions being synched across the two browsers?

im not 100% sure bout that synce , but i would think you'd be fine. i dont think there ( Mozilla ) will be changing how Synce works in 57 onwards, least i havent noticed or seen anything,

I have to say, the last two weeks of nightly builds have been blazing fast. At this point, FF is back to be my main browser and I couldn't be happier. I also read this comment from the maintainer of uBlock origin, which sounds like great news as well.

the reason why i use firefox is that it used to have superior adblocking capabilites compared to chrome […] will this still be the case when in firefox 57 ublockO will be an webext ?

and here is gorhill's response 

Yes:

-Chromium-based browsers do not support user styles

-Chromium-based browsers can’t block data: URI-based requests through the webRequest API.

-Chromium-based browsers are being “infested” by Instart Logic tech8.0k which works around blockers and worst, around browser privacy settings (they may start “infecting” Firefox eventually, but that is not happening now).

-I am not aware of any anti-fingerprinting initiative taken up with Chromium, unlike with Firefox2.0k.

-Etc.

T

here is much more I could list here. It baffles me that some people thinks Firefox is becoming a “Chrome clone”, it’s just not the case, it’s just plain silly to make such statement.

2 hours ago, Ned said:

anyone else getting this on todays nightly?

Untitled.thumb.png.ece596c2ae0bd9a263e28a9e450a49f5.png

That's a picture of the taskbar by the way.

thats not a Bug, the devs are just having fun with icons , its been talked about over in the mozillazine forum