Meet the browser: Firefox Next

If you really understand as much as you claim to, then look through your list of installed add-ons if you want to troubleshoot your memory issues.

Already done, and I've compared my extensions with many people having the same issue, and the result is a no go. We didn't find the culprit. And since it happened right after 4.0.1 release, we are all blaming the core of Firefox.

And all of you here are mostly using nightly, guess why? :)

I'm sorry, but your logic is completely breaking apart here. How do rapid releases and the quality of each release have anything to do with each other? If anything, rapid release IMPROVES the stability released versions.

Why don't you take a calm down, take a deep breath, and think over what you really want to say instead of just being so desperate to hurl mud at Mozilla?

The rapid release of major version is killing the extensions system as it is now. Mozilla could have released minor version (ex: 4.1.0) instead of a major version imo.

Ho and no need to tell me to calm down, i'm calm since the beginning, but you instead ... :(

Already done, and I've compared my extensions with many people having the same issue, and the result is a no go. We didn't find the culprit. And since it happened right after 4.0.1 release, we are all blaming the core of Firefox.

Sure. And many of us are having zero issues with memory usage, same with many other tech sites performing memory benchmarks.

And why would we need to guess? Of course "we" know perfectly well why "all of us" are "mostly" using future release channels. But I have a feeling that hardly stopped you from coming up with your wild speculations.

The rapid release of major version is killing the extensions system as it is now. Mozilla could have released minor version (ex: 4.1.0) instead of a major version imo.

Ho and no need to tell me to calm down, i'm calm since the beginning, but you instead ... :(

Cool, but that hardly has anything to do with your original tall tale of release quality going down the drain. See how you can actually come up with a legitimate critique of the rapid release system when you calm down instead of just trying to come up with whatever nonsense you can?

All that can be said is that Mozilla is working on the issue (with the Add-on SDK and automatic compat bumping), and there are ways around it on the user's end. Me, I just disable version checks and use Google Reader to keep up with extensions updates. Keep in mind that most extensions work perfectly well, and often all the developer has to do is login to AMO and bump their add-on's maxVersion data in two clicks. If they can't be arsed to do something that simple after 12 weeks of a new release baking in the Aurora and Beta channels, I'm not sure if all the blame should go to Mozilla.

I didn't find UX 64-bit branch, does that mean it's still for 'testing-testing-purposes' only (assuming nightly is for 'testing-purposes' itself :whistle:) or it's official but UX doesn't have it?

I didn't find UX 64-bit branch, does that mean it's still for 'testing-testing-purposes' only (assuming nightly is for 'testing-purposes' itself :whistle:) or it's official but UX doesn't have it?

There is no 64-bit build of the UX branch. You can download the 32-bit build from here.

Sure. And many of us are having zero issues with memory usage, same with many other tech sites performing memory benchmarks.

I'm running Nightly with 30-40+ tabs for 3 daysnow without restart (ignoring the update, for now) and it's still using around 500mb. I'm really impressed with the current Nightly.

Keep in mind that most extensions work perfectly well, and often all the developer has to do is login to AMO and bump their add-on's maxVersion data in two clicks. If they can't be arsed to do something that simple after 12 weeks of a new release baking in the Aurora and Beta channels, I'm not sure if all the blame should go to Mozilla.

This.

Well , funnily enough , that's what this thread is for .. not for moaning about FF5 / Chrome etc etc.

There are other threads for all that sort of thing!

Have you tried to create a new profile?

As I have said many times in this thread, I've been using FF since v4 was released, both developmental channels and final release versions without any aforementioned issues. There must be something that is only pertinent to you and your friends are experiencing.

Mozilla has put in a lot of effort to make the addon dev platform easier to use and allow devs to update them quicker to accommodate the changes in the released. But again, you cannot blame Mozilla if an addon breaks. It's up to the addon dev to troubleshoot the code and update it four times a year. Just about every popular addon has dedicated devs who are always on top of the latest changes in the code, which is why I have never come across an addon I use regularly that I am forced to disable.

As Samurizer mentioned, most popular apps utilize areas of FF core code that hardly changes between each release and all the addon needs is a version number change just so that it will pass FF compatibility check to let it install. How do you think all these addons are working perfectly on nightly/aurora builds without any issues that are already 2-3 releases ahead?

I just wish I could get TabGroups Manager working properly with the Panorama feature in Aurora. I can get TabGroups Manager working, but it won't show the correct group title on the titlebar. There seems to be a conflict there. I have to go into Panorama and re-order my tab groups to fix it. Slightly annoying bug, but not bad enough to make me stop using Aurora. It's clearly waaaay better than Firefox 5 or even 6 beta. I'm thinking of trying Nightly again since I'm loving Aurora so much. How much faster is nightly compared to Aurora? I keep hearing numbers like it's 20% faster than Firefox 5, but I want to know how much faster it is compared to Aurora. Is it that much of a difference?

Hi

can someone give me link to change logs for Nightly 8.0a x64, I like to know what is landing in, what would be implement in future etc.

BTW. Since some time I'm use Nightly x64 and it is quite stable and fast, there is problem with Silverlight but Flash x64 beta is working without any problem ;)

Hi

can someone give me link to change logs for Nightly 8.0a x64, I like to know what is landing in, what would be implement in future etc.

BTW. Since some time I'm use Nightly x64 and it is quite stable and fast, there is problem with Silverlight but Flash x64 beta is working without any problem ;)

http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/pushloghtml?startdate=1+day+ago&enddate=now

Anyone else having problems viewing pics on facebook?

They stop loading after you see 5-15 pics.

yes and FB is being very laggy. has been for 2 wks. I think it's thier problem.

I'm havin that wierd glitch as well:

tAq4g.jpg

• Like 2

The thing is that I have the issue only in firefox, tested with Opera 12 and the pics load fine.

I use latest Firefox Nightly and Stable version, the issue is in both.

I have disabled all add-ons, cleared cache, cookies... and the issue is still there.

And works fine in Safe Mode, tested now.

What I can do to see what is causing the problem?

open it in console mode and report here:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p -no-remote -console

and post anything erratic

also you may want to go through process of elimination on your addons and see if any of them are the cause.

also you may want to: ipconfig /flushdns as well.

If you have noscript you may want to allow fbcdn.net as it's thier Content Distrubution Network and that's what they use for images.

if you've isolated all causes please file a bug report.

Time for 'Spot-the-change-in-the-default-theme':

<images here>

They removed the line left of the refresh button? ... I thought one of the reasons they made the site identity box the way it is now was to be symmetric with the refresh button... Not it's no longer symmetric and I don't see why they had to take the line out.

open it in console mode and report here:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p -no-remote -console

and post anything erratic

also you may want to go through process of elimination on your addons and see if any of them are the cause.

also you may want to: ipconfig /flushdns as well.

If you have noscript you may want to allow fbcdn.net as it's thier Content Distrubution Network and that's what they use for images.

if you've isolated all causes please file a bug report.

The console is black, no info.

flushdns did not solve it

I don't use addons, I have only admuncher extension and .net