Meet the browser: Firefox Next

dnast

I'm guessing A couple work arounds would be to either, 1, drag out the add-on manager into its own window, then open up the styles thing, or 2, open up the manage styles window from the toolbar button.

Yeah #1 works - didn't think of that :blush:, but #2 was what annoyed me by the change. With the new version of Stylish, clicking on Manage Styles from the toolbar button just takes you to the Add-on Manager and puts you on the User Styles tab.

Thanks, though! I've since changed it back to the old behavior by changing an about:config setting, so it's not a big deal.

vasa1
... I've since changed it back to the old behavior by changing an about:config setting, so it's not a big deal.

The instructions are here:

1. Type about:config in the URL bar.

2. Click "I'll be careful, I promise!" or whatever it says to continue.

3. In the Filter form at the top, put extensions.stylish.manageView

4. There should only be one entry showing, right click the item > Modify . Change value depending on the behavior you want. 0 for add-ons manager, 1 for stand-alone dialog, 2 for sidebar

Generously described by luckymouse (http://forum.userstyles.org/discussion/comment/53352/#Comment_53352)

+Audioboxer

Anyone else have issues with Fast Dial and nightly? Won't save my settings.

bogas04

post-293012-0-05827000-1304173153.png

I get this immediate shadow sometimes , and it looks really sharp and crisp with that on , but its some glitch i guess .. Anyone else?

PS : Can't we have the glitched version as default? Any userstyle to increase shadow density?

Edit : Okay i investigated the problem and occurs ONLY WITH TWITTER (NEW) till NOW. Please confirm

+Zlip792

^Not having this problem on my side. Using latest Nightly.

Tech Star

Looks good, but not an option that I would be using. Might be useful for others.

grayscale

Pretty good, although I think the vertical ui is ugly XD

+Heartripper

Highlight the domain name in the address bar

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=451833

will be in tomorrow's nightly!

edit:

it's in latest hourly:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/tinderbox-builds/mozilla-central-win32/1304433556/firefox-6.0a1.en-US.win32.zip (win32)

but there's not enough contrast IMO

51828860.png

Frylock86

Notice how those mockups are 7/OSX only. :shiftyninja:

grayscale

Looks like Safari might implement the mock download manager first

safari-download-panel.jpg

Here

firefox-6-download-manager.jpg

Pictures from browserscene.com

The_Decryptor

Yep, the Safari guys beat Mozilla to the punch, there was a post about it on the Mozilla blog (happy one, I think the designer is happy somebody implemented it and showed the design works)

+Zlip792

Latest release of nightly also feature url highlighting but not very prominent. Niice mockup, Mozilla should ditch rapid release (major version bumps) since they didn`t get warm response on Aurora builds.

Jamushroom

^There's a reason to why they're making Aurora builds. It has the same reason as the Chrome Dev-builds has. Testing new things out and adding changes to the browser for testing purposes so that they can push out major builds quicker, instead of 1 major build each year or so. All this so that they don't break the browser with useless features.

So yeah, they really don't need a warm response for test builds. As long as they're getting warm responses to the major stable builds, then there's no loss.

Yep, the Safari guys beat Mozilla to the punch, there was a post about it on the Mozilla blog (happy one, I think the designer is happy somebody implemented it and showed the design works)

I'd still like to see it implemented into Firefox tbh. And does anyone know when the new theme will land? I'd try to mod the current theme into that but I have no idea how to edit the CSS the way it needs to be done.

+Zlip792

I agree with your point. Nice build quality Mozilla have. Chrome builds are more risky (once I lost my some bookmarks) while I like Mozilla. I changed PC and also switched browsers. Used Chrome till 10..

]SK[

Just switched back to Chrome from running 4.0 from release day. Sorry Mozilla but Chrome opens and loads pages quicker that Firefox.

The_Decryptor

Support for CSS3 Hyphenation just landed, next nightly should support it for text marked as en-us (First proper OpenType shaping, now auto-hyphenation. Text support is getting good.)

I'd still like to see it implemented into Firefox tbh. And does anyone know when the new theme will land? I'd try to mod the current theme into that but I have no idea how to edit the CSS the way it needs to be done.

It's still being worked on, planned for 6 or 7 (probably make 7 at this point). As for theme adjustments, I haven't seen any bugs, but work is landing in bits and pieces.

mysiskatten
SK[' timestamp=1304531104' post='593956648]

Just switched back to Chrome from running 4.0 from release day. Sorry Mozilla but Chrome opens and loads pages quicker that Firefox.

? .... keep to the topic of thread

Jamushroom

I agree with your point. Nice build quality Mozilla have. Chrome builds are more risky (once I lost my some bookmarks) while I like Mozilla. I changed PC and also switched browsers. Used Chrome till 10..

I've never had any issues with the Chrome Dev-builds. Though 2 weeks ago I've switch from Chrome to Firefox 4 and a few days later to Firefox 5.0a Aurora. The only thing that annoys me are several graphical imperfections. As a graphical designer I easily see those smaller imperfections, as a perfectionist even more so :p If I was able to customize the theme easily, I'd have changed them. But I'll just wait for the theme from the latest mockup to land.

@The_Decryptor: There are no bugs no, but the current theme doesn't look as good as the one from the mockup. As I said above, I'm annoying myself to things like the rounded corners of the buttons. They're not really good looking and when you look closely, they're not even that rounded but more like straight. Also, the hover effects aren't that nice IMO. But, that's just me and my personal taste for a UI.

Also, the reason why I switched from Chrome to Firefox is because Firefox feels a lot more snappier and I was missing a download manager like DownThemAll!. I've also noticed that several sites look nicer in Firefox font-wise. I have Direct2D disabled as I couldn't get used to the current font system in Firefox. And even with that being off some fonts are looking a lot better in Firefox.

torrentthief

Highlight the domain name in the address bar

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=451833

will be in tomorrow's nightly!

edit:

it's in latest hourly:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/tinderbox-builds/mozilla-central-win32/1304433556/firefox-6.0a1.en-US.win32.zip (win32)

but there's not enough contrast IMO

51828860.png

looks awful, just make the domain red or something, making the rest light grey is too hard to read :(

grayscale

So, in the latest nightly, (and actually on the stable, before 4.0.1), instead of updating, I always get an "Updates are available at http://nightly.mozilla.org/" instead of fx downloading the updates. Anybody else experiencing this?

Edit: Got it, forgot to run on admin :p

kilara1988

I've never had any issues with the Chrome Dev-builds. Though 2 weeks ago I've switch from Chrome to Firefox 4 and a few days later to Firefox 5.0a Aurora. The only thing that annoys me are several graphical imperfections. As a graphical designer I easily see those smaller imperfections, as a perfectionist even more so :p If I was able to customize the theme easily, I'd have changed them. But I'll just wait for the theme from the latest mockup to land.

@The_Decryptor: There are no bugs no, but the current theme doesn't look as good as the one from the mockup. As I said above, I'm annoying myself to things like the rounded corners of the buttons. They're not really good looking and when you look closely, they're not even that rounded but more like straight. Also, the hover effects aren't that nice IMO. But, that's just me and my personal taste for a UI.

Also, the reason why I switched from Chrome to Firefox is because Firefox feels a lot more snappier and I was missing a download manager like DownThemAll!. I've also noticed that several sites look nicer in Firefox font-wise. I have Direct2D disabled as I couldn't get used to the current font system in Firefox. And even with that being off some fonts are looking a lot better in Firefox.

For the font issue:If you are using nightly there are several settings that landed in the about:config for manipulating font rendering.Changing "gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode" to 2 changes the text rendering mode to GDI Classic and fonts look perfect without switching HA off.

SkyDX

For the font issue:If you are using nightly there are several settings that landed in the about:config for manipulating font rendering.Changing "gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode" to 2 changes the text rendering mode to GDI Classic and fonts look perfect without switching HA off.

Is there any way to achieve this in 4.01 Final?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Firefox 86.0
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

What's new in Firefox 86.0:

Firefox now supports simultaneously watching multiple videos in Picture-in-Picture.

Today, Firefox introduces Total Cookie Protection to Strict Mode. In Total Cookie Protection, every website gets its own “cookie jar,” preventing cookies from being used to track you from site to site.

We've improved our Print functionality with a cleaner design and better integration with your computer's printer settings.

For Firefox users in Canada, credit card management and auto-fill are now enabled.

Notable performance and stability improvements are achieved by moving canvas drawing and WebGL drawing to the GPU process.

Fixed:

Reader mode now works with local HTML pages. Using screen reader quick navigation to move to editable text controls no longer incorrectly reaches non-editable cells in some grids such as on messenger.com. The Orca screen reader's mouse review feature now works correctly after switching tabs in Firefox. Screen readers no longer report column headers incorrectly in tables containing cells spanning multiple columns. Links in Reader View now have more color contrast. Various security fixes. Changed:

On Linux and Android, the protection to mitigate the stack clash attack has been activated.

From Firefox 86 onward, DTLS 1.0 is no longer supported for establishing WebRTC's PeerConnections. All WebRTC services need to support DTLS 1.2 from now on as the minimum version.

Consolidated all video decoding in the new RDD process which results in a more secure Firefox.

Enterprise:

Various bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the latest version of Firefox. You can see more details in the Firefox for Enterprise 86 Release Notes. Developer:

Developer Information CSS image-set() function in CSS is now enabled, allowing for responsive images in CSS. Inactive CSS tool is now showing a warning when margin or padding is set on internal table elements. Developer Tools Toolbox is now showing a number of errors on the current page. This is a quick way to surface information to a developer that something is wrong with their page. Clicking on the red exclamation icon navigates the user to the Console panel. Download: Firefox 86.0 for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 86.0 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 86.0 for MacOS | 125.0 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By zikalify
      Mozilla releases Firefox 86 with Total Cookie Protection
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has just released Firefox 86 that includes several new features including Total Cookie Protection a major privacy advancement that’s built into Enhanced Tracking Protection (ETP) Strict Mode and creates a cookie jar for each website you visit so trackers can’t follow you around the web. The update also adds support to watch several videos in Picture-in-Picture mode at once, the Print functionality has a cleaner design and better integration with your computer’s settings, and there are more performance improvements.

For several years, Mozilla has been pitching itself as the anti-Chrome - a product that cares about your privacy. In this update, Mozilla has added a new feature called Total Cookie Protection which can be enabled by changing the ETP settings to Strict Mode. Total Cookie Protection confines tracking cookies to the site on which they were created so that you can’t be tracked around the web.

Of course, cookies are not only used for tracking purposes, some are required to make a website operate properly. In the case of cross-site cookies that are needed for non-tracking purposes, Firefox will create a temporary exemption so that you’re browsing experience is not hurt. This new feature arrives just one month after Firefox introduced protections against supercookies - a more resilient tracking tool.

On the usability side of things, Mozilla has updated the printing options so that they are easier to use and better integrate with the computer’s settings. Firefox also lets you create several Picture-in-Picture videos at once now so you can keep watching more than one piece of content at once.

With this update, canvas drawing and WebGL drawing have been shifted over to the GPU process. Not only will this change make the browser better at handling these tasks but it should also make the browser a bit more stable resulting in fewer crashes.

You can download the new version of Firefox from Mozilla right now if you don’t have it installed already or you can wait for the browser to update automatically if you do. To update your browser manually, head into the hamburger menu, go down to Help and select About Firefox. The new update will download and you’ll be asked to restart your browser. If you’re on Linux, you’ll need to wait until the update becomes available in the package manager which could take up to a few days.

• By indospot
      Samsung now promises four years of security updates for Galaxy devices
      by João Carrasqueira

Longer-lasting software support has long been one of the factors pointed out when talking about the advantages of iOS compared to Android. In recent years, we've seen an increasing amount of effort from some companies to keep devices updated, with Google itself offering three years of feature and security updates for its Pixel devices.

Now, Samsung is trying to take things a step further by offering a minimum of four years of security updates for its Galaxy devices. Depending on the device you have and how old it is, security updates may be rolled out on a monthly or quarterly basis, but either way, getting security updates for four years is a welcome boon if you want your devices to last longer.

This isn't just a benefit for the latest devices coming out this year, either, nor does it target just flagships. Samsung provides a decently long list of devices that will be eligible for the extended security update period, going back to the Galaxy S10 and Note10 families, the Galaxy A series, and a wide range of tablets. Here's the full list provided by Samsung:

It's worth noting that this support period is even longer than what Google promises for its own Pixel phones - though it should be remembered that these are minimum support periods, and Google has supported some of its phones for longer than the minimum. Either way, if you happen to own or you're considering getting one of these devices, you may rest assured your phone or tablet will be kept safe for a while longer. This doesn't, however, include new Android feature updates, so you won't necessarily getting Android 12 or 13 when those versions are released.

• By Copernic
      Firefox 85.0.2 [Update]
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

Firefox 85.0.1 fixes:

Security fix

Prevent access to NTFS special paths that could lead to filesystem corruption.

Fixed a crash when authenticating to websites using SPNEGO on macOS devices with Apple Silicon CPUs (bug 1685427).

Avoid printing an extra blank page at the end of some documents (bug 1689789).

Fixed a browser crash in case of unexpected Cache API state (bug 1684838).

FIxed external URL scheme handlers when using the Firefox flatpak (bug 1688966)

Developer:

Developer Information Changes in Firefox 85.0.2:

Fixed a deadlock during startup (bug 1679933) Download: Firefox 85.0.2 for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 85.0.2 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 85.0.2 for MacOS | 124.0 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By zikalify
      Mozilla launches Firefox 85 with supercookie protection
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has announced the availability of Firefox 85. The new update brings supercookie protection, better bookmark management, and an option to remove all of your saved logins in the password manager with one click rather than having to delete them one at a time. Today’s update also marks the first Firefox release to ship without support for Adobe Flash which recently reached end-of-life.

For years now, Firefox has been positioned itself as the go-to browser for the best privacy protections, it already has strong measures in place to prevent third-party tracking but with today’s update, it will also begin to stymie supercookies. Supercookies are cookies that are used to track you online but stay hidden from the browser, they even stick around after you clear your browser’s cookies. Firefox 85 isolates supercookies so they cannot track and profile you as you go from one website to the next.

The biggest visual change that users will see in this update is to the bookmarks bar. Even if you have your bookmarks bar hidden, it’ll still be displayed on new tabs. The firm says that this is the default setting implying that you can hide it on the new tabs page if you don’t like it. A new folder on the toolbar will also give you access to your bookmarks menu.

The final change worth mentioning in this update is the ability to delete all of your saved logins with the click of a button. In the past, you’d have to go through the list manually deleting them one by one which was time-consuming if you had lots of logins to go through.

If you’re already running Firefox it should update on its own although you can go to the hamburger menu, go to Help and then select About Firefox to get the update now. You will see the update downloading and then a button will appear letting you restart the browser to apply the update. If you’re on Linux, you’ll likely need to wait for your operating system to display the update. If you don’t have Firefox, you can download the latest version now.