Meet the browser: Firefox Next

IE9 is faster in many cases than Firefox.

This has a lot to do with the fact that Firefox team lacks professionals, lacks focus, and lacks good pay.

Chrome is also run by a professional team of developers.

Additionally, both IE and Chrome try to appeal to the lowest denominator. Whereas I read somewhere that Firefox team uses 5xx or 5xxm GPUs to test their HWA for example which is nothing of relation to testing on lowest denominator systems.

IE and Chrome I can understand, but the Steam browser while I'm playing a game!? I really don't get that one.

Add the fact going from Fx14 to the nightlies makes it worse (MUCH worse in the case of bing maps) I just don't understand. What's the issue? Mozilla? My card? AMD's drivers?

I've been using Firefox since it was Firebird, this isn't gonna make me switch, but it's pretty annoying nonetheless.

With AMD dropping any kind of meaningful support for the HD4000 series and Firefox having issues with maps, I feel like I should get rid of my 4890 though it can still play newly released games at pretty good framerates.

Good thing I don't have plans on upgrading to Windows 8 for now cause there's even more problems with my card on there.

IE and Chrome I can understand, but the Steam browser while I'm playing a game!? I really don't get that one.

Add the fact going from Fx14 to the nightlies makes it worse (MUCH worse in the case of bing maps) I just don't understand. What's the issue? Mozilla? My card? AMD's drivers?

I've been using Firefox since it was Firebird, this isn't gonna make me switch, but it's pretty annoying nonetheless.

With AMD dropping any kind of meaningful support for the HD4000 series and Firefox having issues with maps, I feel like I should get rid of my 4890 though it can still play newly released games at pretty good framerates.

Good thing I don't have plans on upgrading to Windows 8 for now cause there's even more problems with my card on there.

Isn't steam browser Chrome based?

Well obviously Mozilla if 14 is A OK and nightly is abysmal hell on earth.

I am loyal to the speed champion - Opera on W7 and IE10 on W8.

Yep, I am not risking buying anything else from AMD after they pulled of that stunt. Checked out NVIDIA and got W8 drivers for the 6xxx series - now I am convinced that AMD reeks of cheapness.

Isn't steam browser Chrome based?

Well obviously Mozilla if 14 is A OK and nightly is abysmal hell on earth.

I am loyal to the speed champion - Opera on W7 and IE10 on W8.

Yep, I am not risking buying anything else from AMD after they pulled of that stunt. Checked out NVIDIA and got W8 drivers for the 6xxx series - now I am convinced that AMD reeks of cheapness.

-Steam is using Webkit, and so is Chrome. But steam isn't based on Chrome at all.

-Also why is the guy whining about nightlies being buggy? They are meant to be like that. If you want stability and bug free release, use the main channel, not nightly.

The issue in Nightly might be due to DLBI (Display List Based Invalidation), it will be good to file a bug with proper regression range.

IE Maze Solver benchmark in Firefox got quite speedup now, end under 20 sec of 30*30. So quite an improvement.

-Steam is using Webkit, and so is Chrome. But steam isn't based on Chrome at all.

-Also why is the guy whining about nightlies being buggy? They are meant to be like that. If you want stability and bug free release, use the main channel, not nightly.

I'm not whining, at least I don't see it like that. Just trying to figure out why Firefox, and not just the nightlies; otherwise I wouldn't have brough this up, but also all the way down to stable, that has bad performance in maps.

I do expect performance increase in nightlies though. Been using them on and off since 4.0 and I've always had a pretty good experience as far as performance goes.

Obviously there's going to be bugs, but usually its things that break addons or some websites that I've seen.

I guess what I'm really wondering now is if we'll ever see HW acceleration on par with other browsers.

Oh and originally I was also if I was the only one having this issue. But I'm guessing from the replies that I'm not.

Can you give a specific link to bing maps? It works fine here on Firefox.

Also, if you want a cool bug, go here : http://www.360cities...ian-solar-day-2 ,and see how bad it performs if you don't go fullscreen :p

bing.com/maps/ Just zooming in/out it bugs out a little, moving around it stutters/'jitters' quite a bit.

It might be me though, I expect 60 frames per second on something as simple as a web browser.

Crazy how well it performs in fullscreen. That's what I would expect in normal mode, though it's not too bad for me.

But it's Flash so yeah. Interestingly, in fullscreen it performs slightly better in Firefox than IE9, haha.

Most impressive thing of the week: The Thunderbird team, which is like 3 times smaller than the FX team, already has the new menu button and australis tabs implemented and working.

Mozilla is going to end production of Thunderbird after the last build which is a shame as it is a good email client.

Online Mail Clients have no where near the functionality that desktop clients, like Thunderbird, do.

Both don't cover all the functionalities, because they don't play the same role. There are things you can do only in TB and others things that you can only do with the webmail.

But at the end, if Mozilla reduce/stop TB development, it's lame since they are wasting many resources into futile things like Firefox OS.

Work in IE10 using both modes. Doesn't work in Firefox in HTML5 mode and I don't have flash installed yet.

Work in IE10 using both modes. Doesn't work in Firefox in HTML5 mode and I don't have flash installed yet.

Works in IE9 (Win 7) in Flash + HTML5

Nothing with FF though