Meet the browser: Firefox Next

Lack of resources. The IE team have a huge computer farm to do their testing on, for example - Mozilla do not. They just have to be more selective in where they point their effort.

And Firefox and IE9 use Direct2D in different ways, Firefox is being hit by bugs that IE9 isn't, even when the drawing calls are the same (The whole "flickers on resize" issue being one of them)

For a while, some drivers caused menus in Firefox to render as solid black rectangles, IE9 never had that issue since it doesn't use Direct2D for it's UI, etc.

Absolutely right, I've always wondered why IE, Chrome have HWA support for legacy hardware whereas Firefox doesn't. They can barely even support top notch hardware. They continuously add more and more GPU's to the ever-growing HWA blacklist instead of actually resolving the issues.

Their progress is extremely slow and performance is still horrible when compared with other browsers.

I find it bizzare how they have limited resources considering they signed a ~$1b 3-year deal with google.

Absolutely right, I've always wondered why IE, Chrome have HWA support for legacy hardware whereas Firefox doesn't. They can barely even support top notch hardware. They continuously add more and more GPU's to the ever-growing HWA blacklist instead of actually resolving the issues.

Their progress is extremely slow and performance is still horrible when compared with other browsers.

I find it bizzare how they have limited resources considering they signed a ~$1b 3-year deal with google.

I personally feel the answer to that question is pretty simple: They're trying to keep up with Google and Microsoft's development pace and just can't do it. Blacklisting hardware that's perfectly capable of doing the hardware rendering to save from fixing bugs feels like a very tacky thing to do in my book. Firefox is falling behind in terms of features and performance and Mozilla seem stuck at an impasse.

This is amazing! But would have been better if organized or colored maybe. Anyways this is how it looks (After minimizing all other stuff) :

post-293012-0-93599600-1341860725_thumb.

Agree with you that colored grouping or some other kind of indication will be look great, I think about:memory is quite in good state, now they should make about:taskbar and add per tab reporting and Addon SDK based memory reporting and also Close tab button..

Is anyone else having problems with new tab thumbnails not being displayed? I currently have 15 sites pinned to the new tab page but only 10 are showing thumbnails. For example, Neowin shows a thumbnail but Interfacelift doesn't. Is there any way to force a particular website's thumbnail to show up?

Is anyone else having problems with new tab thumbnails not being displayed? I currently have 15 sites pinned to the new tab page but only 10 are showing thumbnails. For example, Neowin shows a thumbnail but Interfacelift doesn't. Is there any way to force a particular website's thumbnail to show up?

I'm also having this problem.

Are they things like gmail, or other "secure" sites?

Firefox won't make thumbnails of those.

A lot of sites use https these days, having no thumbnails functionality for them is stupid.

A lot of sites use https these days, having no thumbnails functionality for them is stupid.

Tell that next time when you are entering credit card details and it gets saved as thumbnail , and an addon takes away it.

Though the solution they are using is bad , very bad.

Firefox has a nasty tendency saving not just the main page. That is there is nothing wrong with having a mycreditcardbankthing.com as a thumb, but not mycrediccardbankthing.com/mypage

Like no one cares for any other page on YouTube.com other than YouTube.com, but Firefox still makes thumbs of other crap no one cares about.

Firefox has a nasty tendency saving not just the main page. That is there is nothing wrong with having a mycreditcardbankthing.com as a thumb, but not mycrediccardbankthing.com/mypage

Like no one cares for any other page on YouTube.com other than YouTube.com, but Firefox still makes thumbs of other crap no one cares about.

That doesn't make sense: it saves a thumbnail of the page it links to. If the new tab page is showing a subpage as a thumbnail, then it's linking to that subpage. I don't understand quite what you could be seeing?

What did Mozilla do to my beloved Firefox 14? Beta 11 was lightning fast!! I updated to Beta 12, and everything seems kind of sluggish now. Anyone else notice that? I'm using the portable version from PortableApps. I thought it might've been because of an extension, Pocket (Formerly Read It Later) that just updated, but even disabling it doesn't change anything. I'm going to either install the newest Flash that was just released and see if that makes a difference, or just go back to Beta 11. Only problem is, how do I do that? PortableApps only lists Beta 9, so I'd have to update twice, I guess. Does anyone have a link to Beta 11 in Portable Format? Why Mozilla, why? You changed something and messed it up again! It was working great in Beta 11!! I hope they get it fixed for the next Beta or Final Release. The weird thing is, it seems like sometimes it works really fast and smooth, and other times it becomes sluggish. I suspect it's because this version is taxing the CPU more. I can't think of another reason why it would be doing this. Man, it was so perfect and fast in Beta 11!! It must be a change to the way it renders or something. Change it back, Mozilla!!

Update: I stand by what I said about Beta 10 and Beta 11 rendering faster than Beta 12, but I think I have solved my Flash crashing problems by going back to version 11.2.202.235. Everyone should stay away from Flash 11.3!! This new protected mode is causing crashes. Yes, even with the newest version (11.3.300.265) that is supposed to fix the crashes. 11.2 seems to be running great so far!! Sorry, Mozilla. I may have been too harsh on you. Way to screw everything up, Adobe!!

(Yuan)
  • Blog post on the current working design coming out shortly (showing off parts of this design document)
  • Designing Find-in-page as a reuse of the metro app bar; figuring out how we might use the metro throbber/progress-indicator
  • Design to Implementation proceeding in bugs:
    • bug 747786 (navigation bar & URL bar): Lots of progress made by front-end intern Jonathan
    • bug 747366 (pinned secondary tiles)
    • bug 772304 (implement throbber)

Work for Metro is finally beginning !

New Stub Installer : https://bugzilla.moz...g.cgi?id=675970 (Tracking Bug) attachment.cgi?id=633936

Update: I stand by what I said about Beta 10 and Beta 11 rendering faster than Beta 12, but I think I have solved my Flash crashing problems by going back to version 11.2.202.235. Everyone should stay away from Flash 11.3!! This new protected mode is causing crashes. Yes, even with the newest version (11.3.300.265) that is supposed to fix the crashes. 11.2 seems to be running great so far!! Sorry, Mozilla. I may have been too harsh on you. Way to screw everything up, Adobe!!

Keep Flash 11.3, but just disable protected mode.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4468493

Look near the bottom under "Last resort".

I think I figured out what it is. It seems like Firefox 14 Beta 10 just scrolls a lot faster and smoother. I was told Beta 11 was never released due to bugs. Beta 12 is a lot slower when scrolling, so they must've changed something having to do with smooth scrolling. I am sticking with Beta 10 for now. Anyone else know what I am talking about?

Keep Flash 11.3, but just disable protected mode.

http://forums.adobe....message/4468493

Look near the bottom under "Last resort".

I tried doing that configuration change, and it told me access denied when I tried to save the file. I guess you need admin rights. I'm using someone else's computer. I'm using the portable version of Firefox 14 Beta 10 and Flash 11.2, and everything seems to work fast and smooth now. Thanks for your help!