The most annoying thing about doing a fresh install?

In your opinion, whats the most annoying thing about formatting your Hard Drive and doing a fresh Windows install?

For me its got to be re-adding all of my internet bookmarks. I'm doing it now and its killing me.

For me its got to be re-adding all of my internet bookmarks. I'm doing it now and its killing me.

Then why don't you just back them up before you format? :rolleyes: Seriously, it takes a few seconds to copy your Favorites folder to a flash drive or whatever.

Google Chrome only exports to html :(

and also imports to html. So whats the problem?

I suppose for me it's a case of getting back my fonts and stuff. That being said I've only ever done the one fresh install, so I'd probably be better prepared now to do so.

All the updates...(No, updates are not bad, just takes a while)

All the programs to install...(Flash, Office, Opera, 7-zip, Filezilla, WAMP, ect)

Does feel good after a fresh-install though

• Like 2

All the updates...(No, updates are not bad, just takes a while)

All the programs to install...(Flash, Office, Opera, 7-zip, Filezilla, WAMP, ect)

Does feel good after a fresh-install though

http://ninite.com/

It helps. A lot. Trust me on that.

for me its re installing drivers and progs

same except that drivers dont take that long to install :D Still takes a few days to install everything and get it back to normal....and even then you still miss a prog or two which was so usefull before.

Bookmarks/Passwords -- I use Xmarks and LastPass, they're saved and updated online and all I need to do is install the addons

Apps -- Ninite has the bulk of the common apps I install (Firefox, Foxit, VLC, etc). A few selections, one download, and all the apps install.

Drivers -- That for me is the PITA. Just before an install, I check all the sites (Video, Sound, Keyboard [logitech], Network, etc) and get the latest and greatest. Having to reinstall them is what I don't like.

T

Windows Update especially if you install a non SP version of XP

Painful even with an SP version. Last time I did XP a while back before dumping it, older XP SP3 ISO, had about 100 or so updates. Plus several of which for whatever reason had to be installed separately. Updates, reboot. IE8, reboot. dotNET, reboot. More updates, reboot. Install Office/VS, updates, reboot. The ton of little tweaks/customizations that made it "mine". BLAH, gawd I don't miss that nonsense.

Now my main workstations are either mirrored or have images made after I get them set up "just right". Biggest annoyance now is just the waiting game if the drive dies for whatever reasons.

In your opinion, whats the most annoying thing about formatting your Hard Drive and doing a fresh Windows install?

The IE8 wizard when it's first used...

What I dislike most is installing windows updates and configuring the freshly installed apps to their former layout.

For bookmarks, you can also consider Delicious :).

Cool, thanks. Never seen that site before. When I first glanced at the link I thought it was nlite though. LOL

It's great, I knew about it for a while (back when i twas called Volery, I think) but I gave it a run recently and it worked great. Here's a discussion topic for it if you're interested: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/990452-ninite-speeds-up-fresh-installs/