LA Noire is a big game it seems

Honestly, I'm not. The facial animation doesn't look believable, the bodies aren't anywhere near realistic (A common issue with Rockstar games), and when watching the video I couldn't help but notice that the heads weren't entirely connected to the bodies (their neck was moving but their shirt wasn't)

If they can find a way to squeeze all the data on to the disc they'll be applying the motion capture to whole body in future games.

It's hardly game breaking and it is, in all fairness, a first attempt.

Yea, but it's subtle. I hate playing games that are so dark and you can't see crap. I'm still torn at which version to get. Keep hearing the PS3 ver. is better...

If your TV and console are calibrated properly you should rarely if ever have that problem. Most people crush their own blacks by putting RGB range to full on the PS3 instead of limited, or running on intermediate/expanded display mode on the 360 instead of standard - These modes are really for running each console on a monitor, as monitors display differently from an HDTV. People believe the "darker" and "richer" colours these modes initially seem to show equals better quality, but each mode just tends to crush blacks. This means games that are darker don't show a range of blacks coming from grey, to dark grey, to light black, to dark black, essentially giving shadow depth, but instead plaster the same dark blacks everywhere and make it nearly impossible to see anything. Everyone unless instructed otherwise should run the PS3 on limited and the 360 on standard, then calibrate their TV contrast/brightness/etc until happy.

If none of that applies to you (eg your 360 is on standard), then it's really just down to calibrating your TV. Yes there are dark games out there (many games have night scenes nowadays), but I've played hundreds of games and maybe only 1 or 2 of them have been frustrating due to poor design choices in darker scenes.

The PS3 version is undoubtedly better, however if you aren't comfortable buying what's already been shown to be the best technically then your choice is already made, you buy it on the console you actually want to inside regardless of any technical jargon. There are differences, they are noticeable, but the game is the same.

Undoubtedly better by a slim margin as you can get. It's like the difference between a PC game running a nVidia card vs a ATi card. Nothing in the screenshots to make you bang your head agenst a wall over.

I hope the install isn?t too big? I?m really pushing my 60GB PS3 to its limits? I had like 30 demos installed back then so it was easy to make additional space. Well, it?s not anymore?

I think I?ll need to delete Ratchet & Clank : Quest for Booty since I?m done a long time ago. I hope it won?t delete my trophies (can?t remember if this game has any), but logically it shouldn?t !

That sucks because I pre-ordered L.A. Noire, but I?m working from Monday to Friday during the day since yesterday, I have a university class on Tuesdays and Thursdays evening, and Wednesday I?m seeing one of my friends? I guess that leaves me Friday :-\ At least because of the pre-order I should be getting free DLC :)

I hope the install isn?t too big? I?m really pushing my 60GB PS3 to its limits? I had like 30 demos installed back then so it was easy to make additional space. Well, it?s not anymore?

I think I?ll need to delete Ratchet & Clank : Quest for Booty since I?m done a long time ago. I hope it won?t delete my trophies (can?t remember if this game has any), but logically it shouldn?t !

That sucks because I pre-ordered L.A. Noire, but I?m working from Monday to Friday during the day since yesterday, I have a university class on Tuesdays and Thursdays evening, and Wednesday I?m seeing one of my friends? I guess that leaves me Friday :-\ At least because of the pre-order I should be getting free DLC :)

The install size isn't that bad, 1.3GB.

Probably a good thing I shoved in a 320GB HDD in there. I filled up the initial 40GB a little too quickly with all my game data.

L.A. Noire was once a six-disc game on Xbox 360

L.A. Noire on Xbox 360 filled six discs at one stage in development, according to Team Bondi's Brendan McNamara via OXM.

It took "miraculous compression" to fit the well-padded detective sim onto three discs, McNamara revealed. "We've always been called stupidly ambitious," he reflected. "Along with Rockstar we make very big games."

"It took a lot of effort to get down to three discs - I think we were on four or five or six at one point - and to get it onto one Blu-ray [for the PS3 version]. We're pretty pleased that we got it down to that in the end.

"It's the biggest map that we've done and that Rockstar have done, so there's a lot of detail in there, and also a lot of actor's performances - 21 hours worth," he went on.

L.A. Noire draws on unprecedented levels of motion capture data, as players read the faces of suspects and witnesses for signs of dissembling. In his review, CVG's Tom Pakinkis describes the process as "mesmerising".

Two mission sets or "desks" were cut from the game during development, and may be reserved for downloadable release post-launch. This morning, a Best Buy ad outed the first L.A. Noire DLC pack.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/301731/news/la-noire-was-once-a-six-disc-game-on-xbox-360/

Woah!

If they can find a way to squeeze all the data on to the disc they'll be applying the motion capture to whole body in future games.

It's hardly game breaking and it is, in all fairness, a first attempt.

They can already do motion capture for the whole body. Having a shirt move with their necks could have been done when they put the facial motion capture heads on the body by messing with the shirt model but its not a big deal

Gamestop is doing a extra $50 trade in credit so would could get the new 250gb slim for just around $200 without the Kinect ;)

I do not think they would take it considering I had opened it to adjust the ohms to fix the disc drive so it would read discs again, and I swapped out some of the cables from an old 360.

I went ahead and bought L.A. Noire anyway. UPS just arrived with it and I'm all excited, except, that I am stuck at work still for the next 6 hours :(.

I'm going to strain the crap out of my disc drive, and if it dies, I guess I will just go buy as new one. I have the money, I just don't want to >_<.

Also, my local Wal-Mart has the 250GB 360 for 299$ that comes with CoD: Black Ops, Forza 3, and Alan Wake.

I would more than likely buy that then sell all three games, so that would cut it down to 225-250$ ish.

I can't imagine why this tech would ever be used to do more than faces.

Just to report, the install on the PS3 is next to nothing as far as installs on the PS3 go. It really only took a few minutes where I have seen installs take upwards of 20 minutes.

With that said, DO NOT make the mistake of clicking on Square trying to launch the Playstation Store in order to redeem any preorder codes you may have received. :laugh:

The game is currently frozen for me, the music is stuck on an off timed loop, and I am just waiting a few minutes to see if it unsticks before I force restart my PS3. I pretty much knew it would not work, but definitely did not expect it to freeze the way it did.

I have to take my cat to the Vet, then pick up some dinner for me and my wife as she is not feeling all that well, and then I will be playing for at least a good 2 hours, if not longer. She has already agreed to watch TV in the bedroom, so tonight is officially my LA Noire night. Cannot wait.

Just to report, the install on the PS3 is next to nothing as far as installs on the PS3 go. It really only took a few minutes where I have seen installs take upwards of 20 minutes.

With that said, DO NOT make the mistake of clicking on Square trying to launch the Playstation Store in order to redeem any preorder codes you may have received. :laugh:

The game is currently frozen for me, the music is stuck on an off timed loop, and I am just waiting a few minutes to see if it unsticks before I force restart my PS3. I pretty much knew it would not work, but definitely did not expect it to freeze the way it did.

I have to take my cat to the Vet, then pick up some dinner for me and my wife as she is not feeling all that well, and then I will be playing for at least a good 2 hours, if not longer. She has already agreed to watch TV in the bedroom, so tonight is officially my LA Noire night. Cannot wait.

Is that the sound of the whip cracking? :laugh:

Sleeping on the sofa tonight as well huh :p Let me know your impressions of the game after tonight. Still up in the air on this.

I'm kinda lucky, I think the girl I'm talking to now would actually sit down and rather JOIN me than let me play alone on a Triple A title like this one...

Now to see if she's interested in doing a few dates.. :blush:

I'm kinda lucky, I think the girl I'm talking to now would actually sit down and rather JOIN me than let me play alone on a Triple A title like this one...

Now to see if she's interested in doing a few dates.. :blush:

Mines been kicking ass in Socom 4 since psn came back up... gotta love the gamer girls :) Now if only I could get that controller now and then to play :p

Damn Europe and its three day later release ;____;

I honestly cannot wait to get it (as it's been dispatched from Play.com) but it's a shame that it'll arrive slap bang in the middle of my final exams. Maybe having my degree taking a hit will be worth it.

Mines been kicking ass in Socom 4 since psn came back up... gotta love the gamer girls :)

Tell me about it, she plays Rift.. when she told me I was like: :blink: ... :laugh:

Just picked up my 360 pre-order and am installing it now. Won't be putting any solid time into it until later tonight though, want to watch the Mavs-Thunder game.

Loving the game so far, my only complain is whenever you use the "doubt" option he always reacts much more angrily then you'd expect. they might as well have labeled them "truth, Lie(1), Lie(2)" lol.

Well I am pretty bummed out, found out my cat has diabetes out of nowhere today, which is just not all that good. Have to wait on the blood results tomorrow and hope we caught it early enough and there is no permanent damage to his system. So to be honest I checked out the game for a little bit but my mind is just not all that into it. Seemed pretty cool so far, but I am just not all that inspired by it right now. Kinda sucks how real life just can totally change things on the drop of a dime, but it does kind of put things in perspective. It is just a video game I cannot help but think. I will probably play the hell out of it tomorrow though as I am waiting in between dropping him back off at the vet and getting the full results. So I will probably have a pretty good impression of it tomorrow. But my initial impression, keep in mind I am totally bummed out and my mind is elsewhere, is it seems pretty damn cool. Even my wife said the characters were by far the best ever in a game, I think that pretty much goes without saying though and we all knew that was going to be the case. I am still on the very first case, which is more or less a tutorial. Think I am actually going to call it quits soon and just watch some TV and hang with my cat.

Well I am pretty bummed out, found out my cat has diabetes out of nowhere today, which is just not all that good. Have to wait on the blood results tomorrow and hope we caught it early enough and there is no permanent damage to his system. So to be honest I checked out the game for a little bit but my mind is just not all that into it. Seemed pretty cool so far, but I am just not all that inspired by it right now. Kinda sucks how real life just can totally change things on the drop of a dime, but it does kind of put things in perspective. It is just a video game I cannot help but think. I will probably play the hell out of it tomorrow though as I am waiting in between dropping him back off at the vet and getting the full results. So I will probably have a pretty good impression of it tomorrow. But my initial impression, keep in mind I am totally bummed out and my mind is elsewhere, is it seems pretty damn cool. Even my wife said the characters were by far the best ever in a game, I think that pretty much goes without saying though and we all knew that was going to be the case. I am still on the very first case, which is more or less a tutorial. Think I am actually going to call it quits soon and just watch some TV and hang with my cat.

One of my dogs was diagnosed with diabetes about 2 months ago, he's 9 years old. Needs 2 injections daily for the rest of this life, and a strict diet. Was drinking loads and peeing all the time before we took him to the vet. He's lost quite a bit of weight now, but is doing okay. Luckily we had pet insurance because it's bloody costly for the treatment :( All the best!

One of my dogs was diagnosed with diabetes about 2 months ago, he's 9 years old. Needs 2 injections daily for the rest of this life, and a strict diet. Was drinking loads and peeing all the time before we took him to the vet. He's lost quite a bit of weight now, but is doing okay. Luckily we had pet insurance because it's bloody costly for the treatment :( All the best!

Thanks AB. (Y)

Pretty similar story on my end, my cat is 9 years old as well. Major difference is we do not have pet insurance. :no:

I will pay what it takes, but to put it in perspective, just this first visit to get the diagnosis, not even the treatment, was the cost of a PS3 plus a game or two. And the vet already told me the first dose of insulin is $135 USD.

Luckily I make a decent living, but still, one is never really prepared when it comes to spending money like this. But I will do what needs to be done. Just may mean cutting back on things like video games. So I guess it is a good thing I purchased LA Noire and The Witcher 2 for PC before I found out about all of this.

Definitely glad to hear your dog is doing okay, that makes me hopeful and happy to hear he is okay. Apparently we did catch it early on, my cat was not peeing all over the place, which is definitely one of the warning signs according to the vet and just as you said. He was still going in his litter box which is a good sign, but still, I will not really know the full extent of everything until tomorrow. Just have to hope for the best.

Pets really are so much smarter then we give them credit for. I can say that. My cat is definitely not your average cat, everyone that has met him says he acts more like a dog, but I swear he knows something is wrong. He is just very mellow and has not left my side once since we have gotten back. It really sucks going through all of this, but I am glad I took him when I did. I unfortunately lost my other cat a few years back as we did not know she had diabetes and by the time we figured it out, it was just to late. So this really hits close to him for me, and I am just happy it looks like we caught it in time. At least I really, truly hope we did.

Sorry to go OT everyone, and not trying to ruin everyone enjoying the game. I did check a little more of it out, and so far so good. Seems like a game that I am really going to enjoy, and actually having some more time to think about it all, as much as I said before it is only a video game, at the same time it is this same video game that I believe is going to help me get through a tough time. So that does say something.

Picked up the game during my lunch at work today instead of pre-ordering it.

The new facial animation technology is amazing !! The more I play it, I was .. wow !

Of course this is all on the PS3.

Installation was pretty fast as well.