Microsoft has had a little hiccup in its latest (and only) WP7 update, some users are reporting that their devices have been bricked. If this happens to you, and you dont want to take your phone back to AT&T to get it swapped out, Neowin user norseman has offered up how to fix your device.
Norseman says to do the following:
- Unplug USB form computer. Charge phone or put in charger.
- Turn off phone.
- Turn on phone using 3 buttons - power, camera and volume up/down rocker. Keep all 3 held for 10-15 seconds. Do not release when it asks if you want to format the SD card.
- Keep holding until it says "download mode". This will reinstall the OS.
- If phone does not reboot in 15 mins just power it off and back on.
- Re-setup phone, update firmware through Zune software and then re-sync your documents, music, pictures, videos, etc..
If you find yourself with a paperweight of a device, it can be a scary thought. While this bricking is being caused by an official update, if you need a phone now, this might be your best bet at saving your device.
If you have any success with this method let us know in the comments. Hopefully this will get you back up and running in no time if your device falls victim to the update bug.