Last month we revealed exclusive details on giffgaff's upcoming Universal Windows 10 App. Today, the British mobile network operator has announced that its app is being unleashed to the masses and is now available to download in the Windows Store.
The app is a first for giffgaff, having not previously had an official app for the Windows platform. This announcement signals a change in the operator's stance on Windows; as reported earlier, giffgaff now has a dedicated person for dealing with its Windows efforts, Ian Morland, who will also be responsible for overseeing giffgaff's other app development operations.
This is the first release of the My giffgaff app for Windows, and it is supported on PCs, tablets and phones.
As is expected with all first releases, it does come with a couple of limitations, which include:
- Must be running Windows 10 build 10.0.10586.0 or later
- Mobile devices that contain less than 1GB of RAM are not supported
Features that are available in this release will allow you to manage all aspects of your giffgaff account:
- Check your usage and airtime balance
- Buy, queue or recur a rolling monthly plan
- Top up your airtime credit with a credit/debit card or top-up voucher
- Top up another giffgaff number with a credit/debit card
- Manage your auto top-up settings
- View your Payback points and order more SIMs
- Share your personalised SIM order page
- Access the community forums, blogs and ideas bank
Regular updates are planned for the app. An update is expected in the summer which will bring the app up to feature parity with its Android and iOS counterparts - and from then on will be updated in line with the aforementioned operating systems.
For those of you who were beta testing the app, this will continue. You'll be able to continue testing upcoming changes and new additions to the app, with v1.1 already heading your way.