It's a new week, and that means that it's time for another Windows 10 Redstone 5 build. Despite the fact that the rumored RTM build for Redstone 4 is already available and a public release is imminent, build 17643 is still only available in the Skip Ahead branch of the Fast ring.
There aren't any real new features, but there are lots of improvements, such as Sets now working with Office 365 and some under the hood Edge improvements. As always though, there are lots of fixes and known issues. Here's what got fixed and improved in Windows 10 build 17643:
We fixed an issue where Reveal would sometimes not appear if you moved your mouse over and off an element repeatedly.
We fixed an issue resulting in a noticeable screen flicker when the screen adjusts after rotating your device.
We fixed an issue where the spellchecking menu would always appear on the primary monitor on PCs with multiple monitors, rather than the monitor with the red squiggled word.
Here are the known issues:
- If you open Settings and clicking on any links to the Microsoft Store or links in tips, Settings will crash. This includes the links to get themes and fonts from the Microsoft Store, as well as the link to Windows Defender.
- On resuming from sleep, the desktop may be momentarily visible before the Lock screen displays as expected.
- When Movies & TV user denies access to its videos library (through the “Let Movies & TV access your videos library?” popup window or through Windows privacy settings), Movies & TV crashes when the user navigates to the “Personal” tab.
- Tiling and cascading windows, including features like “View Side by Side” in Word, will not work for inactive tabs.
- The Office Visual Basic Editor window will currently be tabbed but is not intended to be in the future.
- Opening an Office document while the same app has an existing document open may cause an unintended switch to the last active document. This will also happen when closing a sheet in Excel while other sheets remain open.
- Local files or non-Microsoft cloud files will not be automatically restored and no error message will be provided to alert the user to that fact.
- Sets UX for Office Win32 desktop apps is not final. The experience will be refined over time based on feedback.
- The top of some Win32 desktop app windows may appear slightly underneath the tab bar when created maximized. To work around the issue, restore and re-maximize the window.
- Closing one tab may sometimes minimize the entire set.
- File Explorer ribbon doesn’t stay pinned open across restart.
- We’re aware of an issue that causes Narrator to read extra text when invoking Alt + Tab, and we’re working on a fix.
- Using arrow and Page Up / Page Down keys doesn’t work to scroll webpages in Microsoft Edge. You’ll need to use another input method (mouse, touch, or touchpad).
Obviously, you should always read through the known issues before installing a new build, especially one coming from the Skip Ahead branch.
Eventually, Redstone 5 builds will begin showing up for regular Fast ring Insiders. It would seem that that time isn't here yet, so if you're not opted into Skip Ahead and you want this build, you'll have to try to sign up through your Windows Insider Program settings. Space is limited, so you might not be able to. If that's the case, just be patient.