The Xbox One will soon be getting the ability for users to customize their dashboards by using backgrounds. Those in the preview program already have the chance to play around with the new tools while the general populace will have to wait until the November update goes live.
While the ability to use backgrounds was at first limited to Achievement art, the end-goal is for users to use any image they’d like. As such the company has pushed out another update to their consoles today and previewers can now use any jpeg/png file they want to as their background.
Here’s a short guide on how to do it, but again this is only available for those in the preview program for now:
- Make sure you have the latest build of the Xbox OS available
- Make sure you have the latest build of Media player installed
- Connect a USB stick to the console/ Connect to a PC through DLNA
- Find the source file you wish to use and open it full screen
- Hit menu button
- Select “Set as Background”
- All Done.
You do have to keep in mind that a large part of the image you’re using will be obscured by tiles and menus, so you might need a few tries before you find an image that fits. But here’s a Photoshop template of the dashboard to help you with that, and even better here’s the Reddit thread where users are sharing and displaying their dashboards.
Source: Major Nelson