Huawei has released a new white paper detailing its vision of the world in 2025 and how technology will look. While some of the predictions may not materialise, or may come later, they’re interesting to look at because they will influence Huawei’s vision going forward and the products that it develops.
The report expects 5G, AI, and IoT to feature heavily in the world in 2025, describing it as a “new age of digital inclusion” that offers “new possibilities, opportunities, and experiences for everyone, everywhere.”
The top ten trends highlighted in the report are:
- Living with Bots – Advances in AI and network technologies will allow people to bring robots into their homes, the report predicts that 14% of households worldwide will own an intelligent domestic robot.
- Super Sight – Developments in AI, VR/AR, 5G, and UHD will mean that businesses are adopting the technology, Huawei expects 10% of businesses to be using the technology in 2025.
- Zero Search – Huawei believes that in 2025 the search experience will adapt to be “smart, smooth, and button-free” with your appliances, cars, and devices being able to speak to you anticipating your needs. It believes 90% of people will use personal assistants on their smart devices.
- Tailored Streets – We’re already beginning to see smart traffic lights in some countries but Huawei says automated vehicles and connected network infrastructure will help to get rid of congestion. The firm expects 15% of vehicles to be embedded with Cellular Vehicle-to-Everything (C-V2X) tech by 2025.
- Working with Bots – In 2025, Huawei expects that robots will take on mundane, dangerous, and delicate tasks in the workplace. There is expected to be 103 robots for every 10,000 employees in manufacturing.
- Augmented Creativity – In 2025, 97% of large companies will be using artificial intelligence to help workers be more creative and productive. Gartner also believes this usage of AI is set to take off as reported earlier this week.
- Frictionless Communication – In 2025, Huawei believes that there will be 100 billion connected devices in use and that companies will use 86% of the data that they generate. This will lead to the creation of customisable products, an end to language barriers, and digital inclusion through tech.
- Symbiotic Economy – In the future, every company will be using cloud technology and 85% of business applications will be cloud-based. This will lead to greater collaboration, resource-sharing, stronger global ecosystem, and higher productivity.
- 5G’s rapid rollout – 5G is expected to rollout faster than any other wireless generation; Huawei believes that by 2025, 58% of the world’s population will have access to 5G as a result.
- Global Digital Governance – By 2025, Huawei believes that the annual volume of global data will reach 180 ZB (1ZB = 1 trillion GB). In its report, the firm calls for the creation of third-party data regulators and laws to underpin privacy, data security, and ethical compliance.
In order to generate the predictions, the firm combined trend extrapolation and time-series forecasting. With 2025 being relatively close, we won't have to wait long to see if these predictions set out by Huawei will come into fruition.