Alongside its new Lumia 950 and 950 XL flagships, Microsoft announced a third Windows 10 Mobile handset back in October. Unlike its new range-toppers, the Lumia 550 is aimed squarely at the entry-level of the market, and it went on sale in various parts of Europe earlier this month.
In the UK, pre-orders were originally priced at £89.99 via leading independent retailer Carphone Warehouse (and a little higher from other retailers), but that off-contract, SIM-free price has since climbed to £99.99. Now, Microsoft itself has also begun selling the device SIM-free for just under £100, via its UK web store.
The Lumia 550's key specs include:
- 4.7-inch LCD with HD (1280x720px) resolution
- Quad-core 1.1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 210 processor
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB onboard storage (plus microSD card support up to 200GB)
- 5MP rear camera with auto-focus and LED flash (720p video recording at 30fps)
- 2MP front-facing camera (VGA video)
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth 4.1
- USB 2.0 with Type-B connector
- 4G LTE connectivity
- 2100mAh battery
- 136.1 x 67.8 x 9.9mm; 142g
However, if you're planning to buy the 550, you can get it for £30 less than the SIM-free price by purchasing it with a new pay-as-you-go SIM from Carphone Warehouse. The retailer - which exclusively offers the white version of the 550 in the UK - is currently selling the device from as little as £69.99 on a contract-free PAYG plan, following a £10 price cut that came just one week after its launch.
Source: Microsoft Store