Details of OnePlus' new handset have been leaking for weeks, but today, the company officially announced its new flagship-class device, offering a familiar blend of fierce specs at a compelling price.
Along with a "metal unibody carved from a single slab of premium aluminum" - available in 'Graphite' or 'Soft Gold' options - here's an overview of what the OnePlus 3 offers:
- 5.5-inch Optic AMOLED with Full HD (1920x1080px) resolution
- Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 SoC with Adreno 530 GPU
- 6GB RAM
- 64GB storage
- 16MP rear camera with Sony IMX298 sensor
- 4K video recording at 30fps
- 720p video recording at 120fps
- RAW image support
- Electronic (EIS) and optical image stabilization (OIS)
- Phase detection autofocus (PDAF)
- 8MP front camera with Sony IMX179 sensor
- 1080p video capture at 30fps
- Electronic image stabilization
- Fixed focus
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth 4.2
- NFC support
- 4G LTE connectivity (support varies between North America, Europe/Asia, and China models)
- Dual-SIM support
- USB 2.0 with Type-C connector and 'Dash Charge' support
- 3000mAh non-removable battery
- OxygenOS (Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow)
- 152.7 x 74.7 x 7.35mm; 158g
As you can see from those specs, OnePlus isn't messing around. Along with the latest Snapdragon 820 SoC, the OnePlus 3 is one of only a handful of smartphones to pack a whopping 6GB of RAM.
As predicted, the company has shied away from upping the resolution of its 5.5-inch display to Quad HD, opting instead for 1080p, but the new 'Optic AMOLED' should offer more vibrant color and brightness than the LCDs used on its predecessors.
One of the key features highlighted by the company is 'Dash Charge', promising "a day's power in half an hour":
Not all fast charging technologies are created equal. Dash Charge for the OnePlus 3 is faster, safer, cooler - and simply better - than any other charging technology available today. Providing over 60% charge in just 30 short minutes, Dash Charge changes the way we think about convenience.
OnePlus also says that its "improved fingerprint sensor" can unlock the device in 0.2 seconds, while the 16MP camera includes both electronic (EIS) and optical image stabilization (OIS), as well as HDR support and 4K video recording.
The OnePlus 3 goes on sale today, and comes with a pre-applied screen protector, Dash Charge USB Type-C Cable and Dash Charge Adapter. It's priced at:
- $399 in the United States
- $519 in Canada
- £309 in the UK
- €399 in Europe
- Rs.27,999 in India
You can get another look at the device in the video below: