OnePlus has begun rolling out the OxygenOS 10.5.10 (EU) or 10.5.11 (North America and India) update depending on the region to users of the OnePlus 8 series phones. While the update brings with it a host of camera stability and other improvements along with the June security patch, it also fixes the issue with the Photochrom filter (color filter) on the OnePlus 8 Pro.
The 8 Pro launched with a quad-camera setup which included a Photochrom filter that helped apply special color effects to pictures. However, users began realizing that the sensor could see through some objects such as thin plastics and some kinds of fabric materials. The company immediately rolled out an update (OxygenOS 10.5.9) for the phone that completely disabled the sensor. The phone shipped with the unit disabled in some regions like India. However, the firm said that a future update would bring back the sensor with fixes.
Now, that fix has begun rolling out to users with version 10.5.10 of the OS. After the update, the Photochrom filter is now used in combination with the main sensor to apply special color effects (via XDA Developers). This improves the usability of the filter and prevents it from being misused as a standalone camera.
In addition to that, the update also brings some enhancements to power consumption resulting in improved battery usage, fixes for HD video playback issues on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, and stability improvements to the camera.
Here is the complete changelog for the update:
- Optimized the touch and interaction experience
- Optimized the power consumption performance of the system, battery life extended to be longer than ever
- Optimized the high temperature warning to improve user experience
- Fixed the failure to full-charge when battery was charged to 90% and above in a few circumstances
- Fixed the issue with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video unable to play HD video on some machines
- Fixed known issues and improved system stability
- Updated Android Security Patch to 2020.06
- Enabled adjusted Photochrom filter (India only)
- Adjusted Photochrom filter (EU only)
- Improved the shooting experience with camera and improved stability
- Cloud service
- Added the file disk section in file manager: now conveniently upload and store all your files on OnePlus Cloud seamlessly (India only)
- Band 46 CA combo enabled for India Network (India only)
- Added Visible network compatibility in the U.S. (NA only)
- Improved the stability of communication
- Improved the performance and stability of Wi-Fi transfers
- Optimized network latency for online games and improved the smoothness
Since the update has just begun rolling out and it is an incremental one, only a small set of users will begin seeing it today. The company says that a broader rollout should happen in a few days.