The cyber attacks that caused Sony to shut down its Playstation Network for weeks earlier this year are now just a bad memory for the company. That's the message that Sony's CEO Howard Stringer gave to the press this week during a trade event in Berlin. News.com reports that Stringer said, "This year, we at Sony have been flooded, we've been flattened, we've been hacked, we've been singed. But the summer of our discontent is behind us."
Stringer's words refer to the cyber attacks that were conducted back on April 20 on the Playstation Network's servers along with the servers run by Sony Online Entertainment. The hackers behind the attack gained access to tens of millions of users' personal information. Sony shut down the online gaming services for weeks in order to improve their security. The Playstation Network started to slowly come back online in May and was fully restored in all parts of the world in July.
Stringer's speech this week gave an update on the Playstation Network's status since its restoration. He said, "I'm pleased to tell you that the PSN is more secure and better than ever. We are aggressively expanding its content. We have more than 3 million new customers since the network came back online, and sales are exceeding what we had before the cyber attacks." The Playstation Network is now a sub-section of the company's newly announced Sony Entertainment Network which was announced this week, along with Sony's Music Unlimited and Movies Unlimited online services.