It's hard to believe, but its been almost ten years since the release of Tesla's first electric vehicle, the Roadster. Since that time, the company has evolved to offer the popular Model S and its more recent addition, the Model X. While Tesla has done an excellent job of piquing the interest for electric vehicles, the hurdle of price (starting at $70,000 USD) has hampered the ability to push a posh electric vehicle into the hands of many. Nearly two years in the making, tonight, Tesla has finally unveiled their first steps into the world of an "affordable" electric vehicle with the Model 3.
While Elon Musk was very general about the information and the models that will be available, he did iterate that even at its base (without options), the Model 3 would be the best value amongst the competition for $35,000.
The Model 3 will come standard with these features:
- 5 star rating in all categories
- 0- 60 in less than 6 seconds (higher tier models will have faster 0-60 times)
- Range will at least be 215 miles (Tesla is aiming for more)
- Standard with autopilot hardware
- All autopilot safety features will be standard
- Room for five adults to fit comfortably
- Super charging will be standard
- Delivery will start at the end of 2017
- Price will start at $35,000 USD
If you are interested in placing a preorder, be sure to head to the Tesla website or your local dealer quickly, as preorders over the past 24 hours have already exceeded 115,000 units.