Kdenlive is an acronym for KDE Non-Linear Video Editor. It works on GNU/Linux, Windows and BSD. Through the MLT framework, Kdenlive integrates many plugin effects for video and sound processing or creation. Furthermore Kdenlive brings a powerful titling tool, a DVD authoring (menus) solution, and can then be used as a complete studio for video creation.
Kdenlive supports all of the formats supported by FFmpeg or libav (such as QuickTime, AVI, WMV, MPEG, and Flash Video, among others), and also supports 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios for both PAL, NTSC and various HD standards, including HDV and AVCHD. Video can also be exported to DV devices, or written to a DVD with chapters and a simple menu.
Video editing features:
- Multi-track editing with a timeline and supports an unlimited number of video and audio tracks.
- A built-in title editor and tools to create, move, crop and delete video clips, audio clips, text clips and image clips.
- Ability to add custom effects and transitions.
- A wide range of effects and transitions. Audio signal processing capabilities include normalization, phase and pitch shifting, limiting, volume adjustment, reverb and equalization filters as well as others. Visual effects include options for masking, blue-screen, distortions, rotations, colour tools, blurring, obscuring and others.
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts and interface layouts.
- Rendering is done using a separate non-blocking process so it can be stopped, paused and restarted.
- Kdenlive also provides a script called the Kdenlive Builder Wizard (KBW) that compiles the latest developer version of the software and its main dependencies from source, to allow users to try to test new features and report problems on the bug tracker.
- Project files are stored in XML format.
- An archiving feature allows exporting a project among all assets into a single folder or compressed archive.
- Built-in audio mixer
Kdenlive 23.04.2 release notes:
Kdenlive 23.04.2 brings several bug fixes and enhancements to improve the stability of Timelines Sequences. Among the bug fixes, we addressed a freeze that occurred when encountering a duplicate sequence, sequence creation from selection, and re-enabling of sequence thumbnails. Other notable fixes include addressing problems with dragging clips in the timeline causing out-of-view scrolling, a crash when pasting subtitles in a timeline sequence without subtitles and timeline focus problems.
Furthermore, there are enhancements to our subtitling engines Vosk and Whisper and resolved issues related to project archiving, subtitle file display, motion tracker, color wheel resetting issue and scaled rendering.
Version 23.04.2 also fixes many other bugs, see the full log below:
- Fix freeze on duplicate sequence.
- Get rid of mocking in some more tests.
- Re-enable timeline sequence thumbnails.
- Fix tests.
- Nesting: refactor timeline sequence open/close, add tests.
- Display default folder for VOSK models in settings page when no custom folder is set.
- Fix closing sequence in reopened project losing all recent changes.
- Fix crash pasting subtitle in a timeline sequence without subtitles.
- Fix dragging clip in timeline can cause out of view scrolling.
- Fix motion tracker not working on rotated clips or clip with distort effects.
- Fix import clip on single click in Media Browser.
- Fix focus issue after switching from fullscreen monitor.
- Cleaner version of previous patch.
- Fix multiple guides export.
- Fix color wheel resetting color on mouse wheel.
- Minor UI adjustments to timeline ruler.
- Use better option for Media Browser.
- Drop timeline zoom whatsthis (it interferes with zoom shortcut (Shift+Ctrl++).
- Merge !399 with a few fixes (whisper disable FP16 on GTX 16xx).
- Don’t allow archiving unsaved project, show subtitle files in archive widget and project files list.
- Fix scaled rendering.
- Titler: shadow should include text outline.
- Thumbnailer: ensure producer is valid, don’t seek past clip end.
- Fix create sequence from selection resulting in incorrect clip length.
- Don’t trigger producer reinsert multiple times on change.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware