Krita Desktop is a free an open source painting application. Krita is the full-featured free digital painting studio for artists who want to create professional work from start to end. Krita is used by comic book artists, illustrators, concept artists, matte and texture painters and in the digital VFX industry. Krita has been in development for over 10 years and has had an explosion in growth recently. It offers many common and innovative features to help the amateur and professional alike.
Krita has a user-friendly interface. The dockers and panels can be moved and customized for your specific workflow. Once you have your setup, you can save it as your own workspace. You can also create your own shortcuts for commonly used tools.
In addition to painting, Krita comes with vector, filter, group, and file layers. Combine, order, and flatten layers to help your artwork stay organized. There are also three different views on how to see the layers.
Krita supports full color management through LCMS for ICC and OpenColor IO for EXR, allowing you to incorporate Krita into your existing color management pipeline.
Open PSD files that even Photoshop cannot open. Load and save to PSD when you need to take your artwork across different programs.
Krita is the only dedicated painting application that lets you open, save, edit and author HDR and scene-referred images. Furthermore, with OCIO and OpenEXR support, you can manipulate the view to examine HDR images, and use it in the most cutting edge workflows from the film and visual effects industries.
Krita 5.1.1 release notes:
Krita 5.1.1 is strictly a bug fix release. Two serious problems are fixed in this release: a slowdown in start-up time experienced by some people, and a crash when copying a vector layer.
Other fixes are:
- Native macOS touchpad gestures should now work properly. BUG:456446
- On Android, the application size no longer increases because swap files did not get deleted.
- On Android, a possible crash on startup is fixed. BUG:458907
- Several issues with the MyPaint brush engine were fixed. The MyPaint eraser now uses the proper brush settings, and the unusable blend mode selector is now disabled if a MyPaint brush has been selected. BUG:453054, BUG:445206
- For Animation, the “start numbering at” when exporting an image sequence has been fixed. BUG:458997
- Krita no longer crashes if the user has removed the kritadefault.profile canvas input profile from both the installation and the runtime folder
- On reading ACO palettes, the color swatch name is now read and set on the swatch. BUG:458209
- Fix a crash when selecting a layer in the layerbox. BUG:458546
- Improve slider steps for the fade, ratio and similar color selection threshold
- When moving paintable nodes, the canvas is updated only once.
- Provide the workaround for OpenGL canvas showing black rectangles if there’s more than one assistant visible to all platforms. BUG:401940
- Improve the performance of working with ZIP files, like .kra and .ora files.
- Fix opening single-layer PSD files. BUG:458556
- Make the Update link in the welcome widget clickable. BUG:458034
- JPEG-XL: Fix linear HDR export and float 16 import. BUG:458054
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware