Linux vs Windows

So to summarize, Windows took me me nearly 5 hours to install and update and Linux Mint 15 took me 2 hours. 

The reason Windows took so long to update is because the DOT NET ******* FRAMEWORK! Take that out of the equation and windows probably would have updated in less than 2 hours. Did you start with sp1?

The reason Windows took so long to update is because the DOT NET ******* FRAMEWORK! Take that out of the equation and windows probably would have updated in less than 2 hours. Did you start with sp1?

I know. ,NET framework is the worst. I hate it. And actually I started with a regular 7 install and it had to all the updates including SP1. SP1 took a while to install too but that's to be expected since it's a service pack.

I know. ,NET framework is the worst. I hate it. And actually I started with a regular 7 install and it had to all the updates including SP1. SP1 took a while to install too but that's to be expected since it's a service pack.

I know when you install the Dot Net Framework, it does some sort of real time compiling or some ****. But the install times are ****ing embarrassing!! Microsoft NEEDS to fix this.

I apologize, I can't talk about the Dot Net Framework with out swear words spewing from my mouth!

There have been times when I wanted to use Patchmypc on XP machines, but it wouldn't run because the XP machine didn't have dotnet framework / 2.0 / 3.5. I could have installed it but I had I installed it I would have spent the next 2 ****ING hours updating that pile of ****.

I know when you install the Dot Net Framework, it does some sort of real time compiling or some ****.

Yea, to be fair it is compiling a crapton of assemblies.. the upshoot is they'll start and execute faster as it's built for your specific hardware. On the downside... reeeeealy slow to update as you're waiting on that.

Yea, to be fair it is compiling a crapton of assemblies.. the upshoot is they'll start and execute faster as it's built for your specific hardware. On the downside... reeeeealy slow to update as you're waiting on that.

Seeing how systems are fast do they really need to keep compiling per system? (Look MA! No swear words!!! .... I tried really hard, had to fight it off!)

Seeing how systems are fast do they really need to keep compiling per system? (Look MA! No swear words!!! .... I tried really hard, had to fight it off!)

Eh personally I'd rather have them run faster after the fact. Updates are once and done, the software typically gets run more frequently. Although yea I could see having the option to delay ngen too. And totally agree, it's painful doing a fresh install of XP and going through all that, at least for me that'll never happen again, it's gone in this house.

Eh personally I'd rather have them run faster after the fact. Updates are once and done, the software typically gets run more frequently. Although yea I could see having the option to delay ngen too. And totally agree, it's painful doing a fresh install of XP and going through all that, at least for me that'll never happen again, it's gone in this house.

Actually doing updates on XP with Sp3 slipstreamed and ZERO dotnet updates and you install IE8 before you start, takes MAYBE 30 mins? not including the download time.

Ha, I feel your pain. We had a free period the other day at work and I updated one of our computers and it took an hour to update and it was all .NET installs. I wanted to swear really bad. :D

Actually doing updates on XP with Sp3 slipstreamed and ZERO dotnet updates and you install IE8 before you start, takes MAYBE 30 mins? not including the download time.

Oh with zero sure, that's a breeze, but there's a lot of programs that require it nowadays. Installing dotNET 2, 3.5 and then 4.0 along with the updates (at least XP can skip 4.5) ... it's rather lengthy.

Again, Windows 7 has been out since 2009, and 12.04 was released in 2012....

Maybe compare 10.04.

While I cannot stand Dot Matrix's fanboyism, this comment is pretty off.

While there may be a lot of businesses and organizations using GNU/Linux, I urge you to find how many are using the latest version of the distro chosen.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers are similar to how many organizations use Windows 8.  

I can't really speak for other companies, but we're using the latest version of Suse Enterprise Server where I work. But i mean...it's a server or mission critical appliance: If it ain't broke don't fix it. The client side of everything is probably using the latest LTS. With that being said, Windows 7 can be considered an LTS release, so point made. 

Linux was designed to be the anti-windows. I applaud Torvalds for having created Linux in a way that now we can all use it. whether you like it or not, Linux gives people a choice, it is free, easy to upgrade and is now becoming an OS that game companies are embracing

• Like 2

A mixed bag from me.

On installation times, Windows and RedHat Fedora install with comparable times.

I've had botched updates from both systems too.  Fedora does better these days but earlier on there were several issues with mismatched selinux policies and once a directory was omitted from the library path which led to a server that wouldn't boot.  I don't think I recall a Windows update that took a machine down but I remember updates that just wouldn't install!

On botched updates.....that's one reason I don't use Ubuntu. I've had several of their updates bork something, especially kernel updates. That's one reason why I use Mint these days, saner updates. Of course, in the past I've had bad updates from Microsoft too, but nothing lately.

I have completely been Windows free for several weeks now. I have an Android phone, a Chromebook, and Linux Mint Mate on my desktop. I can do everything I've ever done in Windows on one or more of these devices. I don't see myself going back this time. 

The only thing that continues to frustrate me is the lack of certain applications on Linux. I know there are 'alternatives' but ultimately it's what continues to hamper wider Linux deployment.. 

I applaud companies like Valve for trying to give Linux gaming a bit of gravitas, and just wish that companies like Adobe would get on the bandwagon and release Creative Cloud on it, etc. 

Why would a company waste thousands of dollars to produce a Linux version of anything for so small a usage number?

Why would a company waste thousands of dollars to produce a Linux version of anything for so small a usage number?

I guess it's a catch 22 - Linux will never make big impact on the desktop without big applications on it. Adobe will never release their product on Linux until it gets big. I'm not saying they SHOULD (like as if I'm actually expecting it to happen) - I just wish it would. 

Never said they should, just that they won't. I wish for it too, but right now, it's looking null.

Yes, because compiling a C++ app with custom portable GUI libraries is so difficult on Linux... no, wait, it's not.

I even remember a thread in adobe's forums by people petitioning for a linux version of ps cs5. One of the programmers posted and said that while he cannot disclose the reasons a PS of linux is a matter of modifying some code just a little, modify the target of the custon gui libraries and recompile. Hardly a thousand dollars job.

What about the GPU acceleration Adobe use in the newer versions of photoshop? Is it done with OpenGL or D3D?

look when it comes down to it most of us would not even be using computers without microsoft, they brought computers to the main stream and made it easy for people to use, so at the end of the day that is why Windows is better, it just works.  Linux is great, but if anything goes wrong your fecked.....

If I could play the same games on Linux that I can on Windows i'd be very inclined to learn it, The direction Microsoft are taking with Windows is making alternatives much more appealing to me.

What about the GPU acceleration Adobe use in the newer versions of photoshop? Is it done with OpenGL or D3D?

As far as I know Photoshop's been using OpenGL for a few versions now, which makes sense as they build for OSX too.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/gpu-opengl-support-photoshop-cs4.html

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html

If I could play the same games on Linux that I can on Windows i'd be very inclined to learn it, The direction Microsoft are taking with Windows is making alternatives much more appealing to me.

For me it depends.. frankly some of the desktops are making even bigger "WTF" decisions than Win 8, which is at least easy to get back to what's familiar with a few seconds of effort. Looking at Gnome 3 and Unity specifically. Some just aren't really going anywhere, feels like staying with XP if that makes sense. KDE though I'm liking.. reminds me of 7.. familiar and yet they modernized it.

In that case then I imagine porting Photoshop wouldn't be hard as OpenGL apps tend to be easy to port. I agree about Gnome however that's why I wouldn't use a Gnome distro, personally I've always loved KDE though at least with Linux there is plenty of choice, which does make a welcome change from the new Microsoft and their "Do as we dictate or get lost" approach.