PS4 Owner Impressions

Yea, normally I wouldn't have said anything, but the fact that none of what the guy was saying was true, I felt I had to speak up.

Well in the long run, its better that you at least tried to correct him.

Unfortunately, some people react poorly when someone offers new info or a different opinion :laugh:

funny story of the day:

I was at EBGames today (was at the mall with the family), was looking at some PS4 games (all 6 of them) and some guy with his friend where at the PS4 demo unit.  This is how it went:

Guy 1: "Bro, ps4 is a fraud"

Guy 2: "What?"

Guy 1: "They said it would have an lcd touch screen that lit up, ****in sony fraud bro"

Guy 1: "Not even a touch screen bro, gotta push on it, it's all fraud"

Guy 2: "Heh"

Guy 1 manages to get to the menu, and swipes the touch pad which sure enough scrolls

Guy 1: "Oh, it's working now, still they said we would get an lcd touch screen, frauds bro, ps4 is a fraud"

Me: "Uh.. no they didn't, it's a touch pad, the LED is at the top of the controller for the PS Eye.. not the TOUCHPAD BRO"

Guy 1 "Ehh..." and walks away

Guy 2 looks at the light for the ps eye, looks at me, then walks away

A little bit later I saw them in the mall out front of a store, and Guy 2 saw me, and he like turned and looked away, like he was embarassed or something.

Haha.

I take it they were a couple of dudebros?

First off, i made the jump from xbox 360 to ps4.  Thought the privacy on the new xbox was kinda shady, plus the only game i play is call of duty (like a real man), so 1st party exclusives werent too important to me at least.  Before launch, i tried everywhere to pre order one, so i could jump into ghosts day 1.  Everywhere i looked was sold out.  So randomly on launch day i decided to hit a target.  Figuring itd be sold out, i thought just seeing the frenzy would be entertaining enough to stop in.  Oddly enough there wasnt much of a line.  Was able to grab the second to last one they had for the day and walked back out.  Line was about 16 people deep.  Got home and fired it up.  No problems whatsoever.  Once call of duty installed, it gave an error that the server was unavailable.  I figured something like this would happen the first day so i tried again after about 15 minutes and got right in.  Not too sure if my expectations were too high, but i wasnt too impressed by the graphics.  Dont get me wrong, they're pretty sweet, but not 8 years since last gen worthy, not even close.  The lighting is improved, and i guess the textures are slightly better.  Maybe this is just a game engine thing im not sure (im too manly to get that technical).  Anyways, im still happy about the purchase, im pretty alpha so 400 bucks to me is nothing. 

First off, i made the jump from xbox 360 to ps4.  Thought the privacy on the new xbox was kinda shady, plus the only game i play is call of duty (like a real man), so 1st party exclusives werent too important to me at least.  Before launch, i tried everywhere to pre order one, so i could jump into ghosts day 1.  Everywhere i looked was sold out.  So randomly on launch day i decided to hit a target.  Figuring itd be sold out, i thought just seeing the frenzy would be entertaining enough to stop in.  Oddly enough there wasnt much of a line.  Was able to grab the second to last one they had for the day and walked back out.  Line was about 16 people deep.  Got home and fired it up.  No problems whatsoever.  Once call of duty installed, it gave an error that the server was unavailable.  I figured something like this would happen the first day so i tried again after about 15 minutes and got right in.  Not too sure if my expectations were too high, but i wasnt too impressed by the graphics.  Dont get me wrong, they're pretty sweet, but not 8 years since last gen worthy, not even close.  The lighting is improved, and i guess the textures are slightly better.  Maybe this is just a game engine thing im not sure (im too manly to get that technical).  Anyways, im still happy about the purchase, im pretty alpha so 400 bucks to me is nothing. 

Don't expect much from the CoD series. Your right, all they are doing is slapping on higher resolution texture maps to the models and upping the polygon count, thats it. Your still buying essentially the same game over and over year after year thou.

Glad your PS3 is doing well!

So from what I saw on youtube video the browser still doesn't support flash.

Looks like PS3's but redesigned. Has SONY said anything about future updates regarding the browser? 

Yeah, I'm still not a fan of the browser. Granted, this is one of those small things that don't rise to serious issues for me personally, but it seems like Sony didn't make much of an effort to improve the browser. That's one thing I'll definitely be comparing with the X1.

How is Killzone MP?

It's fun. I never played any other KZ before, so I can't compare it to the others, but I do enjoy it. Great change of pace from BF/COD. The major downside I see so far, is that the developer decided not to include voice chat in-game. So unless you are in a party you can't voice chat with anyone. Which is a big bummer as communicating with voice (even if only 2 people use out of the 7/12 man teams) is nice and helpful.

The challenges and playercards are the grind in the game. They are standard win X times, win X times on this map, kills, assits, zoomed kills, etc.

And to answer thread title. I picked up 2 consoles w/o pre-ordering. 

It's fun. I never played any other KZ before, so I can't compare it to the others, but I do enjoy it. Great change of pace from BF/COD. The major downside I see so far, is that the developer decided not to include voice chat in-game. So unless you are in a party you can't voice chat with anyone. Which is a big bummer as communicating with voice (even if only 2 people use out of the 7/12 man teams) is nice and helpful.

The challenges and playercards are the grind in the game. They are standard win X times, win X times on this map, kills, assits, zoomed kills, etc.

And to answer thread title. I picked up 2 consoles w/o pre-ordering. 

Really? :/ It was in every other Killzone.

It is pretty damn exciting.. less so when it is BLOD out of the box, and you have to wait a week for a working one... but once you get that one... it is pretty sick.

It is pretty damn exciting.. less so when it is BLOD out of the box, and you have to wait a week for a working one... but once you get that one... it is pretty sick.

Exactly. Once you get it all setup, you can forget about everything else and just play with your new toy :D

That is the part I like about the next gen. Forget all these forums and internet stuff and just go play.

Small bugs in the OS and HDCP needs fixing.

Yea, I noticed some issues with adding friends (said I added them, but request still there).  Also noticed a couple other weird behavioral issues.

I've also noticed friend requests being delayed and some issues with trophies not showing up as being earned when I get them.

There are a lot of little things that could use some work basically.

Got mine yesterday, returned it today. Blue light of death. Now it's sold out everywhere. I shouldn't of pre-ordered from Amazon, thats where a lot of these BLOD come from.

EDIT: I work on an Army base in Korea and it was easier just to get a refund rather than wait for them to try to ship me  a refurbished unit.

Got mine yesterday, returned it today. Blue light of death. Now it's sold out everywhere. I shouldn't of pre-ordered from Amazon, thats where a lot of these BLOD come from.

EDIT: I work on an Army base in Korea and it was easier just to get a refund rather than wait for them to try to ship me  a refurbished unit.

I got a blue light of death one from Amazon.   I called Sony Monday the 18th, and had a new unit Friday the 22nd.   I don't think they are doing refurbs yet.

3 days, yay! Got my copy of AC4 from Currys for ?26. There was a ?20 off xboxone code that wasn't suppose to go public, looks like Currys honored most of the purchases with it as well.

At launch I'll have KZ, AC4, Resogun and all the other PS+/PS3 title ports (likes of Flower/Sound Shapes).

Resogun is pretty sweet! I have been playing Need for Speed Rivals and Call of Duty Ghost non-stop.. After playing so much, I've decided I no longer really want to be a PC gamer anymore.. I never really enjoyed shooters on consoles.. but I really never gave them a fair chance.. It isn't so bad.. I actually prefer it.. 

Resogun is fun, Im not that great at it and the humans keep dying and I am not sure why.   I played a lot of Resistance on my PS3 but was never a big FPS Fan overall.  However the only game I have for my PS4 is KZ:SF and I've been playing that a lot.  I do want to get AC IV and Knack but until prices come on sale, with christmas coming I just don't have the extra cash.

I do find the PS4 seems to get warm after ~2 hours of play.  The glossy side stays cool but the matte side warms up.  I also don't really feel a lot of air coming out of the vents.   I assume that the fan is working as I do feel air, and if there was an issue it would be over heating.  Would suck if this one dies, as this is my replacement console.   However I've got a 90 day replacement warranty, and 3 years of coverage w/ accidental so I am not too worried.

3 days, yay! Got my copy of AC4 from Currys for ?26. There was a ?20 off xboxone code that wasn't suppose to go public, looks like Currys honored most of the purchases with it as well.

At launch I'll have KZ, AC4, Resogun and all the other PS+/PS3 title ports (likes of Flower/Sound Shapes).

Excellent, that should keep you busy until Infamous comes out! :)

The countdown is at hand.

Resogun is fun, Im not that great at it and the humans keep dying and I am not sure why.   I played a lot of Resistance on my PS3 but was never a big FPS Fan overall.  However the only game I have for my PS4 is KZ:SF and I've been playing that a lot.  I do want to get AC IV and Knack but until prices come on sale, with christmas coming I just don't have the extra cash.

I do find the PS4 seems to get warm after ~2 hours of play.  The glossy side stays cool but the matte side warms up.  I also don't really feel a lot of air coming out of the vents.   I assume that the fan is working as I do feel air, and if there was an issue it would be over heating.  Would suck if this one dies, as this is my replacement console.   However I've got a 90 day replacement warranty, and 3 years of coverage w/ accidental so I am not too worried.

I agree about Resogun, its fun. Next gen Defender for anyone familiar with that old game.

I will also chime in about the heat. I've noticed the same patter of it getting very warm and not feeling a lot of air moving. I know the ps4 uses a fairly small fan, so I'm not shocked that the air movement is lowish, but I just hope its not a lingering issue. So far, I have seen no crashes, etc. I still don't have a retail game yet though, so I'm not exactly pushing the system. Just indie gams.

Good luck to those getting a PS4 this week! Hopefully your package delivery goes off without a hitch and is on time. I love the PS4 so far. Resogun, Killzone, and Knack have all been good fun. I haven't played any multi-platform games yet. My brother bought Ghosts and says he likes it, but I have no firsthand experience with it.

Some groups of keepers require you to kill them in a specific order. So if humans are dying for no reason, be aware of what you're shooting. :)

They also die if they fall from too high a height, land in water, or fall through a hole blasted in the level. They can't be attacked by enemies or die from explosions. You can shoot them, but that only bounces them in the air; it doesn't kill them.