PS4 Owner Impressions

That's true, but when someone says quiet or loud, that can mean a lot of things. I wasn't sure if you meant that all the reviews were saying it was quiet as in near silent, or just quieter than this video might claim.

fair enough.  Yea I meant quiet as in not loud, and definitely not audible to the extent being shown.

Having put about 3-4hrs into it last night I could never hear it over my game audio (which I didn't have that loud given how late it was and I live in an apt building).  It sounds about the same as the PS3 slim that I have; I can't hear it without walking right up next to it.

The Playstation App seems to work well, I tried it out while I was in the middle of some gaming and it pushed the download to my system in a matter of seconds from me telling it to download on my PS4.  Since I had to work for Canadian thanksgiving i took that day in lieu today to give me some more time to play around with the system/games.

Mine will be delivered today. Pre-order from Walmart.ca :D

Kind of wishing I had done that instead of amazon.  Still hasn't changed from the preparing stage. 

Mine is on the truck for delivery today. But I'm going to the Canes game tonight, so I won't get to play with it until later tonight, plus I'll be working all weekend. Boo!

This is my first Playstation though, so I need some friends. Add me, my PSN name is ajousooner, just like my XBL name.

Edit: DELIVERED! :D

All reviews spoke of how quiet it is, also none of the comments on that video reflect it.  Many are saying fake or that it is a fluke (many saying their own units are nearly silent).

Not sure if fake or not, but I've read it's quieter than a PS3 Super Slim which sounds good to me.

Not sure if fake or not, but I've read it's quieter than a PS3 Super Slim which sounds good to me.

Quieter than a slim? Well if that is true, I'll be very happy. I do value as close to silent running as possible.

The Ars review was the only one I saw to do such an in-depth look at the sound levels and put it between the slim and launch ps3, so we will see.

Mine is "Out for Deliviery" though its a Christmas gift for someone else and I won't be opening it.

Oh come on, open it up..  play with it.... then put them back in the box and wrap it up and give it to someone else..

:laugh:

• Like 1

Oh come on, open it up..  play with it.... then put them back in the box and wrap it up and give it to someone else..

:laugh:

i will probably do just that,    then wipe it clean (software and hardware)

too tempting, if you dont have your own ;)

i did that with a wii that i was gifting (since then i have owned 2 more wii consoles, but at a time, i wanted to try it out)

i will probably do just that,    then wipe it clean (software and hardware)

too tempting, if you dont have your own ;)

i did that with a wii that i was gifting (since then i have owned 2 more wii consoles, but at a time, i wanted to try it out)

Yeah it is very tempting..

My brother bought a DSLR and played with it.. then put it in the box and wrapped it up then gave it to me for a birthday...

I knew he played with it since I noticed it was not in the official box. It was in the alternative box.

And I noticed there were some pictures he took before he placed a camera in the box.

Quieter than a slim? Well if that is true, I'll be very happy. I do value as close to silent running as possible.

The Ars review was the only one I saw to do such an in-depth look at the sound levels and put it between the slim and launch ps3, so we will see.

I've read somewhere (eurogamer i think) that the sound level is 40db idle and 42db on load when standing 1 meter away from the PS4. If true it's definately not quiet but it's not unusually loud either. It's about the same noise level a high end gpu without custom fans will output. The idle noise level is a little bit high (4db less would be okay) but the load one is within acceptable range. Considering how small the console is i did not expect silent operation.

I'm more concerned about the noise the blue-ray drive does. Fan noise is constant and you get used to it as long as it is close to 40db and less at 1 meter. Blu-ray drive noise while watching a movie can be a pain in the ass though if the drive is a cheap one.

Yeah it is very tempting..

My brother bought a DSLR and played with it.. then put it in the box and wrapped it up then gave it to me for a birthday...

I knew he played with it since I noticed it was not in the official box. It was in the alternative box.

And I noticed there were some pictures he took before he placed a camera in the box.

what an amateur. :laugh:

i could probably even reseal the original box in plastic in such way that you are not likely to notice.  learned it in my very early teens.

it was just the way at the time for me.   i would not have a chance to play with new things if i could not do that. so i did.   

• Like 2

Those that picked up one at the store, are they pretty much sold out or are were there any available on the shelves? Just curious if there were going to be shortages.

Those that picked up one at the store, are they pretty much sold out or are were there any available on the shelves? Just curious if there were going to be shortages.

They will get more shipments soon if they ran out of stock. Just wait until they calm down with the sales.

If you ordered online and pick up in store, they reserved it for you in your name. Unless if you go to the store to buy one, you are out of luck unless you come in a lucky day before they run out of stock.

My local best buy had at least 5 on display by the registers. Not sure if they had additional ones in the back. I'd assume it might be tough to pick one up after this weekend

Mine has arrived and I'm setting it up now.

For curiosity sake, I will have my 360 slim and ps3 slim running to compare sound levels.

I'll play around with it for a bit and then post some early impressions.

Mine has arrived and I'm setting it up now.

For curiosity sake, I will have my 360 slim and ps3 slim running to compare sound levels.

I'll play around with it for a bit and then post some early impressions.

Looking forward to your findings!

They will get more shipments soon if they ran out of stock. Just wait until they calm down with the sales.

If you ordered online and pick up in store, they reserved it for you in your name. Unless if you go to the store to buy one, you are out of luck unless you come in a lucky day before they run out of stock.

My local best buy had at least 5 on display by the registers. Not sure if they had additional ones in the back. I'd assume it might be tough to pick one up after this weekend

Cool, thanks for the info. I was just curious, i'm going to wait for a few more games to come out before I get one, but if I see one sitting there, I may jump on it.

Sounds like someone fired up their vacuum cleaner and made the video to get a high view count

Can those who did confirm this?

Hmm, I am tempted to go check out if any stores around me have it in stock, and if so just cancel the Amazon.ca one as it is still in a preparing state.