PS4 Owner Impressions

francescob

I got four. Four PS4s.

Let me put it like this. Imagine you have one cake, and I have four cakes. This is like that. Except, you have no cakes, and I have four PS4s. Also I have this cake.

portal-cake.jpg

• Like 1

ngc891

I have neither cake or a ps4. However I do have a pack of lemon and ginger cookies I am slowly working my way through. Good times.

• Like 2

Travis959

Just got mine and hooked it up. Update was kind of slow, but not too bad. Controller is way better than a dualshock 3 besides its atrocious battery life. However, I didn't buy any games yet and I can't sign in to PSN anyways as they are apparently having issues. It's also a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be - easily dwarfs my Wii U sitting next to it with both sitting vertical. 

It's dead quiet for me and I'm sitting within 7 feet of it right now, of course that might change once a game is loaded. The menu is nice and quick as well, it doesn't seem to work with my home theater system though as when I first tried to use it, the video feed kept cutting in and out. Not sure what the deal with that is as it supports the Xbox 360 and PS3 at 1080p fine.

So I haven't really got to experience much yet due to the PSN issues, but the background music on this system menu is like something you would hear in a massage parlor and is putting me to sleep.

Hum

People wait outside the Best Buy in Hagerstown, MD to purchase PlayStation 4, which went on sale at 12:01 am Friday.

The line began forming at noon Wednesday  :|  for the $399 gaming system.

A tent ? seriously ?

post-37120-0-39230000-1384559463.jpg

anonymous10489

And people wonder why unemployment is so high. :P

• Like 2

The Evil Overlord

I got four. Four PS4s.

Let me put it like this. Imagine you have one cake, and I have four cakes. This is like that. Except, you have no cakes, and I have four PS4s. Also I have this cake.

portal-cake.jpg

meow much?? :p

fusi0n

I can't sign into PSN.. Anyone else having that issue? Just says waiting.. 

fusi0n

can you charge the controller while the system is off?

trooper11

Well I've been digging into the system for a few hours now. Should I post my impressions here or in a new thread? I don't know how much details you guys want but I have a fairly long run down :laugh:

I don't want to shove a wall of text here if no one wants it here.

trooper11

I can't sign into PSN.. Anyone else having that issue? Just says waiting..

I'm also currently unable to sign in. I was on earlier to download Resogun, but I've been cut off for the last hour.

can you charge the controller while the system is off?

Yes you can.

fusi0n

Well I've been digging into the system for a few hours now. Should I post my impressions here or in a new thread? I don't know how much details you guys want but I have a fairly long run down :laugh:

I don't want to shove a wall of text here if no one wants it here.

new thread. lets hear your reviews bud!

fusi0n

I'm also currently unable to sign in. I was on earlier to download Resogun, but I've been cut off for the last hour.

Yes you can.

thanks bro!

RageOfFury

So far, so good! I'm very happy with my purchase. The PS4 is well built, quiet and small. The interface is an improvement over the PS3, but could use additional tweaking. It is very fast and snappy which I like. I also like the redesigned PlayStation Store. Well done Sony!

Killzone is a great game. Reminds me of Halo...somewhat. Beautiful graphics.

The only issue I've encountered thus far is a message keeps appearing saying PSN is down for maintenance. I guess it was to be expected that PSN would crash with the sudden rush of PS4s connecting to it and accessing it.

Blackhearted

Hmm, I am tempted to go check out if any stores around me have it in stock, and if so just cancel the Amazon.ca one as it is still in a preparing state.

What shipping speed did you choose? I find that amazon(atleast in america) tends to take their time at getting your item ready and shipped if you choose the standard shipping.

firey

Free standard shipping. Though I hear shipment issues aren't just with Amazon here in Canada

trooper11

Well firey, if you are eager to get started and can still cancel your order with Amazon, maybe you can find it locally.

SkyyPunk

The Best Buy I preordered at said they sold out of them all already. But yay for preorders!

notchinese

The store needs some work, it is pretty laggy. Also, I randomly get errors that kick me out of the current app that say something along the lines of "the service is unavailable". IMO the UI looks better than on the PS3, but it is also more convoluted. As others have said, the controller feels much improved. Have had no sound issues with mine. And no surprise that the launch game selection is pathetic, that was to be expected for both consoles.

trooper11

The store needs some work, it is pretty laggy. Also, I randomly get errors that kick me out of the current app that say something along the lines of "the service is unavailable". IMO the UI looks better than on the PS3, but it is also more convoluted. As others have said, the controller feels much improved. Have had no sound issues with mine. And no surprise that the launch game selection is pathetic, that was to be expected for both consoles.

I agree about the store lag and the app issues. Those seem to tbe primary performance related issues right now on the system. The apps seem pretty unstable and slow. I think the store performance problems may be linked to the psn issues in general, hence why psn has been down. Hopefully once Sony sorts that out, the store will perform better.

I also agree about the overall ui. Its better, but then they seemed to add too much of the wrong thing. Just seems a bit incomplete.

Sandor

i got mine last night at a Gamestop midnight release. went straight to bed last night afterwards, then work, and then i have company for the weekend so i wont even hook it up until sunday.

Being this bad at organizing your affairs.

Step it up friend.

spenser.d

Yes you can.

So people are all about Sony giving them some credit or a game for the downtime, right? :p

123456789A

If anyone got a PS4 and is on Neowin writing about it, they're doing their launch day wrong!

Go play!

notchinese

If anyone got a PS4 and is on Neowin writing about it, they're doing their launch day wrong!

Go play!

I have a PS4, and no games. lol Might get FIFA.

trooper11

Go play!

I'm taking a break from Resogun at the moment. I was going to download the other ps+ indie games, but psn is still down for me.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Universal Media Server 10.8.0
      by Razvan Serea

Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. UMS was started by SubJunk, an official developer of PMS, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility. The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR, AviSynth, MediaInfo and more, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats. Because it is written in Java, Universal Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

To see a comparison of popular media servers, click here.

Universal Media Server 10.8.0 changelog:

General:

Added youtube-dl engine which fixes support for YouTube channel feeds Added automatic names for web feeds in the user interface, and the ability to add/edit manual names for web streams Added sample web radio stream Added support for pasting YouTube channels directly, instead of needing the feed URLs Improved performance and logging for unmonitored files Fixed several web content user interface bugs Fixed sample web feeds and streams not being loaded on macOS Fixed broken sample web feeds Fixed/updated readme links Fixed web bump interface Fixed broken thumbnail caching on macOS Fixed support for mp3 radio streams on the web interface Fixed support for radio streams without thumbnails on the web interface Translation updates via Crowdin:

Danish (100%) (thanks, NCAA!) English (United Kingdom) (36%) (thanks, Pete Russell!) Finnish (100%) (thanks, Esko Gardner!) Italian (99%) (thanks, Dimitri Graffi!) Korean (100%) (thanks, VenusGirl!) Portuguese (99%) (thanks, mariopinto!) Portuguese (Brazilian) (96%) (thanks, Mauro.A!) Turkish (100%) (thanks, Burak Yavuz!) Dependencies:

Bump commons-io from 2.10.0 to 2.11.0 Bump FFmpeg to latest Git versions Bump logback-version from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4 Bump oshi-core from 5.7.5 to 5.8.0 Bump rome from 1.15.0 to 1.16.0 Bump spotbugs-maven-plugin from 4.2.3 to 4.3.0 Bump Video.js from 7.10.1 to 7.13.3 Download: Universal Media Server 10.8.0 | 161.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Other operating systems
      View: Universal Media Server Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft Stores for Business and Education are not supported in Windows 11
      by Usama Jawad

Back in March, we speculated that Microsoft may be killing off the Microsoft Store for Business and Education soon, due to the fact that it had stated that users will not be allowed to purchase paid apps from April 14. The move had been previously rumored to kick off in June 2020 but the pandemic put a dent in those plans, and it seems that Microsoft pushed the date forward internally. Today, the firm has categorically confirmed that the Microsoft Store for Business and Education will not be supported on Windows 11 - which is scheduled for a release later this year.

Starting from the first half of 2022, customers will be able to find and deploy applications to their managed devices using Microsoft Intune or their unified endpoint management (UEM) solution. For unmanaged devices, deployment is possible via the WinGet tool in Windows Package Manager. This will be applicable to all existing and new app types coming to the redesigned Microsoft Store experience.

In light of the above, Microsoft Store for Business and Education are being killed off in the first quarter of 2023. The portals will not be supported in Windows 11 but admins can still utilize UEM solutions to harness the connection to the respective portals, and use it to deploy apps to managed Windows 11 devices, until the Stores are retired completely in 2023.

Windows Package Manager can be used to query and centrally deploy private and public apps to Windows 10 devices, and the same capability will be present on Windows 11. UEM solutions can be utilized to manage repositories. A preview for these capabilities will be released in the first half of 2022, with general availability targeted for the second half of 2022.

The overall and simplified timeline for this evolution in the commercial app deployment process is outlined below:

The company also has a list of useful FAQs on its announcement blog post for you to peruse if you're affected by these changes.

• By Brandon H
      Neowin's Community Minecraft Server
      Server hosting is provided by BisectHosting

Discussion of connecting with pirated copied (including requests for offline mode for this reason) will result in you receiving a warning. The usual forum rules for piracy apply here.

Server Address:
      mc.neowin.net (204.44.126.159)
      Currently Running FTB Cotton - v1.1.0

Server Rules
      Be nice, polite, and respectful No Griefing, this is your only warning Do not build on others door steps without permissions, explore and find your own land Do not be annoying Do not build at spawn without permission of an admin Do not modify any other players builds without permission Have fun, if you don't have fun you will get slapped Label all builds in creative  

If you wish to join our server please post here with your Minecraft username; you must be an active member of the Neowin community.

Our server is powered by donations. Payments are made quarterly. Please help donate to the server to keep it running.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Google is deprecating Play Services support for Android Jelly Bean
      by Usama Jawad

Google announced Android Jelly Bean in June 2012. The update spanned across Android versions 4.1 to 4.3.1 released in 2013, and was followed up by version 4.4, dubbed "KitKat". Now, after nine years of support, the firm is finally deprecating Play Services support for the operating system.

Google has explained that Android Jelly Bean is currently present on less than 1% of active devices and considering that the OS does not support a bunch of modern capabilities, developers have to spend a lot of time on workarounds. As such, it is deprecating support for Google Play Services on this flavor of the OS. APK version 21.30.99 scheduled for release in August will be the last supported version.

This change affects developers utilizing API levels 16, 17, 18 as the minimum version in their SDK. While the functionality present in existing versions of the SDK will continue to work, newer components may not support these API levels, which means that developers will be hit with errors when trying to build their app.

There are two workarounds for this problem. The first and obvious one is to change the minimum SDK level to 19. The impact of this is that users on Android Jelly Bean and older devices will not be able to see or download updates to the app. That said, given the few number of users actively using these devices, Google does not believe that this impact will be massive. The second workaround involves building multiple flavors of your app. One version for modern devices and the other for legacy handsets. Of course, there are compatibility caveats to consider with this approach as well, so we recommend that you have a look at Google's documentation here.

• By Copernic
      Universal Media Server 10.7.0
      by Razvan Serea

Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. UMS was started by SubJunk, an official developer of PMS, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility. The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR, AviSynth, MediaInfo and more, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats. Because it is written in Java, Universal Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

To see a comparison of popular media servers, click here.

Universal Media Server 10.7.0 changelog:

General:

Improved detection of movies and anime episodes Increased default max memory on Windows machines with 8+ GB RAM Removed filename from entries inside the TRANSCODE folder Fixed upnp:class in UPnP search results (thanks, ik666!) Fixed the "Reset the cache" button not resetting API metadata too Fixed failed database upgrade for fully played statuses Fixed FFmpeg crash Fixed marking a directory as fully played not changing cached thumbnails Renderers:

Improved support for VLC on iPhone Translation updates via Crowdin:

Czech (100%) Danish (100%) (thanks, NCAA!) Finnish (100%) (thanks, Esko Gardner!) French (100%) (thanks, Archaos!) Hungarian (94%) (thanks, Zatamon!) Korean (100%) (thanks, VenusGirl!) Polish (100%) (thanks, Karol Szastok!) Portuguese (99%) (thanks, mariopinto!) Portuguese (Brazilian) (96%) (thanks, Mauro.A!) Romanian (100%) (thanks, FlorinT!) Russian (89%) (thanks, Dmitry Lavrentev!) Turkish (100%) (thanks, Burak Yavuz!) Dependencies:

Bump assertj-core from 3.19.0 to 3.20.2 Bump checkstyle from 8.43 to 8.44 Bump commons-io from 2.9.0 to 2.10.0 Bump doxia-module-docbook-simple from 1.9.1 to 1.10 Bump git-commit-id-plugin from 4.0.4 to 4.0.5 Bump jaudiotagger from 2.2.5 to 2.2.7 Bump maven-idea-plugin from 2.2.1 to 2.3-atlassian-10 Bump oshi-core from 5.7.4 to 5.7.5 Download: Universal Media Server 10.7.0 | 153.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Other operating systems
      View: Universal Media Server Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware