PS4 Owner Impressions

trooper11

So people are all about Sony giving them some credit or a game for the downtime, right? :p

Well if it goes on long enough, people will start to get frustrated. You know how impatient people can get.

Now that more are having to pay for ps+, it wouldn't shock me if those people feel like Sony's responsibility in keeping the service up is much higher now.

spenser.d

Well if it goes on long enough, people will start to get frustrated. You know how impatient people can get.

Now that more are having to pay for ps+, it wouldn't shock me if those people feel like Sony's responsibility in keeping the service up is much higher now.

Sure, but I think it was ridiculous in the case of Xbox (given how little actual downtime there really is) and I think it would be ridiculous right now - Sony's for sure getting hammered so it shouldn't come as a surprise that they have some issues. I'm sure it won't last and they'll be just fine going forward.

trooper11

Sure, but I think it was ridiculous in the case of Xbox (given how little actual downtime there really is) and I think it would be ridiculous right now - Sony's for sure getting hammered so it shouldn't come as a surprise that they have some issues. I'm sure it won't last and they'll be just fine going forward.

I agree, if you cannot be patient during a new launch like this, then don't buy a console at launch, simple as that.

vcfan

But I'm going to the Canes game tonight, so I won't get to play with it until later tonight, plus I'll be working all weekend. Boo!

thanks for at least stealing a point from the ducks ;)

AJerman

thanks for at least stealing a point from the ducks ;)

Yes! We won in SO for perhaps the first time ever when I've actually been there. Just took an AHL goaltender and some random 3rd liners.

So, I can confirm that the PS4 is definitely very quiet.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm not really impressed so far. When I got home I played Assassins Creed for about 15 minutes before it bored me to death and I just decided to watch a movie. Graphics aren't impressive (so far at least), nothing has that new next gen feel. To be honest, I could have gone from a 360 to a PS3 and not noticed much more difference. The PS4 controller is much better, but the stick layout is stil massively inferior to the Xbox controler (as expected for someone who prefers/is used to Xbox). As much as people raved about the DS4, I expected it to be something amazing. Compared to previous DS controllers, it's an evolution and definitely more ergonomic, but it's still the same DS controller you've grown to either love or hate, depending on your preference.

I'm gonna try another game for a little bit and keep getting used to everything. I'm not saying anything is bad so to speak, but so far it seems like a bit of a waste of money. I'm not saying the One would be any better, just that this generation of consoles doesn't seem so spectacular yet. Of course it's only launch day games, but I remember 360/PS3 launch day games looking amazing compared to the previous gen. I'm more interested in some stuff like GT6 and Watch Dogs. I think (I hope) we'll start to see the power come out then.

Point being, if you didn't get a pre-order, don't break your neck trying to find a console. Might as well just play current games on last gen and wait for games truly built for PS4/One.

Oh, and yes, PSN was awful. There's no excuse, launch day or not, for how bad it was running. A lot of people spent HOURS trying to sign in just so they could use the console. I expect some slow down, but it shouldn't have been that bad. The software could have been a lot better for one. The PSN sign in process was what, 10 pages long or so? And if anything timed out, it booted you back to the beginning. I can't tell you how many times I had to retype my email and password. Ever hear of a retry button, Sony? I also expect the issues will be gone from this point forward for the most part, but come on Sony. You're a big enough company to beef up some servers and make sure you have the bandwidth. It's not like you didn't have years to plan for that one day. I really hope Sony will finally get PSN right this gen. I have faith in them, for some reason, haha.

trooper11

The PS4 controller is much better, but the stick layout is stil massively inferior to the Xbox controler (as expected for someone who prefers/is used to Xbox). As much as people raved about the DS4, I expected it to be something amazing. Compared to previous DS controllers, it's an evolution and definitely more ergonomic, but it's still the same DS controller you've grown to either love or hate, depending on your preference.

I purposely avoided the comparison to the xbox controllers since I wanted to wait until I got my X1 next week to see how the new controller stacks up, but I will say that I agree with you that I still prefer the xbox style. I've been using a ps controllers for many years and I still prefer the xbox layout overall. Its just more comfortable to me.

Maybe I should have made mention of that, but I am just surprised at how much they have improved the ds4. Its definitely the best ps controller yet and its closer in comfort to the xbox controller for me personally.

I'm gonna try another game for a little bit and keep getting used to everything. I'm not saying anything is bad so to speak, but so far it seems like a bit of a waste of money. I'm not saying the One would be any better, just that this generation of consoles doesn't seem so spectacular yet. Of course it's only launch day games, but I remember 360/PS3 launch day games looking amazing compared to the previous gen. I'm more interested in some stuff like GT6 and Watch Dogs. I think (I hope) we'll start to see the power come out then.

I agree that the games leave something to be desired, but honestly, that's not new for new consoles. The ps2 launch didn't blow people away with the games. Neither did the ps3 or 360. Sometimes you get a few good games, but the great ones don't come for a while after launch.

Point being, if you didn't get a pre-order, don't break your neck trying to find a console. Might as well just play current games on last gen and wait for games truly built for PS4/One.

I agree, if you are not someone that is just in it to have the latest thing now, your not missing anything by waiting.

Oh, and yes, PSN was awful. There's no excuse, launch day or not, for how bad it was running. A lot of people spent HOURS trying to sign in just so they could use the console. I expect some slow down, but it shouldn't have been that bad. The software could have been a lot better for one. The PSN sign in process was what, 10 pages long or so? And if anything timed out, it booted you back to the beginning. I can't tell you how many times I had to retype my email and password. Ever hear of a retry button, Sony? I also expect the issues will be gone from this point forward for the most part, but come on Sony. You're a big enough company to beef up some servers and make sure you have the bandwidth. It's not like you didn't have years to plan for that one day. I really hope Sony will finally get PSN right this gen. I have faith in them, for some reason, haha.

Well on the one hand I can just say that this should be expected at the launch of any console. On the other hand, its not totally unfair to be upset with Sony after spending $400 in order to have their console day one.

Either way, I think Sony will have things smoothed out at some point. Hopefully that is not too far down the road though.

ozzy76

i got mine yesterday. Replaced factory HDD with SSD, installed 1.50 firmware from USB. Their servers were slow as hell around 9:45am CT but it seemed to get better for me as the day progressed.  I played it again for a ilttle while earlier this morning and everything seems to be OK. OS is super snappy, I'm liking it so far. Sorry for the folks having issues.

trooper11

Has anyone confirmed if the ps4 OS supports TRIM for SSDs?

I have an SSD I would like to try out with it, but not if TRIM support is not there.

vcfan

honestly, the gaming aspect is not what is making me jump into next gen this early, because I am content on still playing on my 360. its the other features. I think watching tv while still using the system is a big deal. the integration of all media on the oneguide is just too good. snap does it for me too. and the most exciting part is being able to develop for the console,and all the apps that will be developed for it. if none of this stuff was available, the only way you could get me to hop on to next gen is when the software support on the old gen disappears.

Andrew

For anyone who has a PS4 and PS3 Eyecam, is it compatible? For instance, can you use it on Twitch?

trooper11

For anyone who has a PS4 and PS3 Eyecam, is it compatible? For instance, can you use it on Twitch?

That's a good question. I know that the Move controllers are compatible, but not sure about the old camera

x-scratch

nope i'm waiting 6 months to a year. but i heard some douche bag from canada destroyed a ps4 in a bestbuy parking lot

AJerman

I agree that the games leave something to be desired, but honestly, that's not new for new consoles. The ps2 launch didn't blow people away with the games. Neither did the ps3 or 360. Sometimes you get a few good games, but the great ones don't come for a while after launch.

I feel like the 360/PS3 launch titles were a much bigger jump graphic wise than this generation, but I just watched the Watch Dogs trailer again and I there's still a LOT to come.

And yeah, I just don't see an SSD as being worth the cost. I definitely wouldn't want to lose capacity. I think 500 will already fill up fairly quick. Might as well just stick HDD. Do we know if we can improve performance at all with just a faster HDD by any chance? I haven't seen what is in it.

trooper11

I feel like the 360/PS3 launch titles were a much bigger jump graphic wise than this generation, but I just watched the Watch Dogs trailer again and I there's still a LOT to come.

Well I do agree that this generation seems like a smaller jump vs last gen. The 360 and ps3 were part of the first 'HD' generation. The PS4 and X1 are the 'HD+' generation. Not as big a jump as the SD to HD transition.

Still, the best is yet to come and I'm hoping we see more than just better looking games, but also attempts to expand on gameplay too.

• Like 1
AJerman

Well I do agree that this generation seems like a smaller jump vs last gen. The 360 and ps3 were part of the first 'HD' generation. The PS4 and X1 are the 'HD+' generation. Not as big a jump as the SD to HD transition.

Still, the best is yet to come and I'm hoping we see more than just better looking games, but also attempts to expand on gameplay too.

I guess that's true. I forgot most all Xbox/PS2 games were SD so of course that jump would look better. I think we'll see a lot more in the spring like Watch Dogs. You're right though. More power means more than graphics. We'll just have to wait and see.

Brandon H

I guess that's true. I forgot most all Xbox/PS2 games were SD so of course that jump would look better. I think we'll see a lot more in the spring like Watch Dogs. You're right though. More power means more than graphics. We'll just have to wait and see.

yeah i think the potential this generation lies more in bigger environments and better AI than it does improved graphics

KoL

I just tried that and it says "The device is not supported"

Andrew

I just tried that and it says "The device is not supported"

Ok, thanks for trying that for me Kol (Y)

RageOfFury

After playing Killzone and Resogun for several hours over the weekend, I really love the controller. The Dual Shock 4 is a huge improvement over the Six Axis/Dual Shock 3. It feels really good in my big hands. Very comfortable.

• Like 1
+Audioboxer

How is Killzone MP?

• Like 1
firey

funny story of the day:

I was at EBGames today (was at the mall with the family), was looking at some PS4 games (all 6 of them) and some guy with his friend where at the PS4 demo unit.  This is how it went:

Guy 1: "Bro, ps4 is a fraud"
Guy 2: "What?"
Guy 1: "They said it would have an lcd touch screen that lit up, ######in sony fraud bro"
Guy 1: "Not even a touch screen bro, gotta push on it, it's all fraud"
Guy 2: "Heh"
Guy 1 manages to get to the menu, and swipes the touch pad which sure enough scrolls
Guy 1: "Oh, it's working now, still they said we would get an lcd touch screen, frauds bro, ps4 is a fraud"

Me: "Uh.. no they didn't, it's a touch pad, the LED is at the top of the controller for the PS Eye.. not the TOUCHPAD BRO"
Guy 1 "Ehh..." and walks away
Guy 2 looks at the light for the ps eye, looks at me, then walks away

A little bit later I saw them in the mall out front of a store, and Guy 2 saw me, and he like turned and looked away, like he was embarassed or something.

trooper11

funny story of the day:

I was at EBGames today (was at the mall with the family), was looking at some PS4 games (all 6 of them) and some guy with his friend where at the PS4 demo unit.  This is how it went:

Guy 1: "Bro, ps4 is a fraud"

Guy 2: "What?"

Guy 1: "They said it would have an lcd touch screen that lit up, ****in sony fraud bro"

Guy 1: "Not even a touch screen bro, gotta push on it, it's all fraud"

Guy 2: "Heh"

Guy 1 manages to get to the menu, and swipes the touch pad which sure enough scrolls

Guy 1: "Oh, it's working now, still they said we would get an lcd touch screen, frauds bro, ps4 is a fraud"

Me: "Uh.. no they didn't, it's a touch pad, the LED is at the top of the controller for the PS Eye.. not the TOUCHPAD BRO"

Guy 1 "Ehh..." and walks away

Guy 2 looks at the light for the ps eye, looks at me, then walks away

A little bit later I saw them in the mall out front of a store, and Guy 2 saw me, and he like turned and looked away, like he was embarassed or something.

I hate when that happens. I overhear mis information like that and it frustrates me. This shows just how rumors or trolling can filter down to the general customers and suddenly what they think is true is in fact completely false.

People just don't take the time to confirm everything they hear.

• Like 4
firey

I hate when that happens. I overhear mis information like that and it frustrates me. This shows just how rumors or trolling can filter down to the general customers and suddenly what they think is true is in fact completely false.

People just don't take the time to confirm everything they hear.

Yea, normally I wouldn't have said anything, but the fact that none of what the guy was saying was true, I felt I had to speak up.