E3 2011: Microsoft Press Conference

Kinect Fun Labs looks real good for gamers.

If those were actual mini-games, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But they're not mini-games. I don't know what they are, actually. They may be fun for a grand total of two seconds (combined). I really just don't even see the point at all. For all the cool things Kinect is capable of, Microsoft doesn't seem to be able to utilize any of them.

I guess this is 360 users' Playstation Home. Only there's even less of a point. Except for the scanning yourself part... that has a point.

If those were actual mini-games, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But they're not mini-games. I don't know what they are, actually. They may be fun for a grand total of two seconds (combined). I really just don't even see the point at all. For all the cool things Kinect is capable of, Microsoft doesn't seem to be able to utilize any of them.

I guess this is 360 users' Playstation Home. Only there's even less of a point. Except for the scanning yourself part... that has a point.

I think the point is that they're small little tech demos to show every what you could do, you bring up the scanning yourself in part, also scanning any object in. Those two things are huge and could be taken by devs and used now that they've seen it's possible. Scanning yourself into a MMO or RPG in the future would be something used a lot I'd say.

Not really, you nailed it, Kinect is capable of cool things, but when it comes to gaming, it's a step backwards for most genres - Most notably lag, and complexity/on rails restrictions. When it's hooked up to a closed platform games console, MS can only do what they're restricted to, which is why it's far more impressive hooked up to a PC.

I think the point is that they're small little tech demos to show every what you could do, you bring up the scanning yourself in part, also scanning any object in. Those two things are huge and could be taken by devs and used now that they've seen it's possible. Scanning yourself into a MMO or RPG in the future would be something used a lot I'd say.

It's as gimmicky as games that take screenshots of you when you win, it will not be huge. EA Game face has been about for a while and I hardly know anyone who uses it.

It's as gimmicky as games that take screenshots of you when you win, it will not be huge. EA Game face has been about for a while and I hardly know anyone who uses it.

Game face and or simple pictures aren't the same as a full body scan. Or a full scan of real objects you own.

Game face and or simple pictures aren't the same as a full body scan. Or a full scan of real objects you own.

How many things do you own that you want to scan into an RPG? :laugh: It's cool to mess around with it, but tech like that has never proven to be strong (virtual reality/AR/etc) in actual gaming.

I'd love to try scan umbrellas/carrots/underwear into Dragon Age 3, it's funny, but will I do it consistently as a gamer, no.

What sort of ideas do you have for scanning objects, maybe I just can't see through to something you're thinking.

Where can I watch this live onlive in the UK?

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/xbox/

or http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/e3

(For future reference, if you're even looking for a live stream of an MS event, their presspass site usually has you covered :p)

Also, I hope to god they finally release the Kinect Windows SDK today :D

How many things do you own that you want to scan into an RPG? :laugh: It's cool to mess around with it, but tech like that has never proven to be strong (virtual reality/AR/etc) in actual gaming.

I'd love to try scan umbrellas/carrots/underwear into Dragon Age 3, it's funny, but will I do it consistently as a gamer, no.

What sort of ideas do you have for scanning objects, maybe I just can't see through to something you're thinking.

Scanning objects could be part of the game itself, like a puzzle type game that requires you to scan the right item to solve for example. It wouldn't look for exotic things but just everyday stuff everyone probably has. It's a basic idea that could work if done right and would be more than possible with kinect as we see now.

Not really, you nailed it, Kinect is capable of cool things, but when it comes to gaming, it's a step backwards for most genres - Most notably lag, and complexity/on rails restrictions. When it's hooked up to a closed platform games console, MS can only do what they're restricted to, which is why it's far more impressive hooked up to a PC.

I don't agree. Kinect Adventures, Dance Central and Kinect Sports show there can be inventive ways to utilize the controller for games, even if they aren't one of the main genres. I don't consider either of those any less of a game than any of the AAA titles being released. And the tech demos that people have come up with utilizing Kinect (there have been plenty of FPS games that look intuitive, without being on-rails) show it's a good option. Just like Move, I don't think it will supplant the standard controller, but there's ways to use it that works.

They just need to start building ground-up games for Kinect, like Gunstringer. While that's on-rails, I'm 100% convinced that a free-roaming FPS is capable based on the demos/hacks that have been done on the PC. But as long as companies keep tacking on the control scheme to games, it's never going to be worth a damn (same goes for the Move).

How many rooms can you build in a virtual "Home"? How many stupid clothes will people buy for a virtual avatar? How many people will buy into the craze that is motion gaming?

Moder Warfare 3 certainly looks... Uh... Like a Call of Duty game.

Edit: Tomb Raider. Looks like the leak on the games for Microsoft's press conference was rigt. Boring.

Hahahahahaha, Peter Moore referenced his South Park spoof. So far, though, boring. Mass Effect's use of Kinect is neat, though.

Hahahahahaha, Peter Moore referenced his South Park spoof. So far, though, boring. Mass Effect's use of Kinect is neat, though.

I do not see how, as it could have been done with just a regular mic, no?

Rainbow six did the whole voice thing awhile back, or maybe it was GRAW, point being it is not new whatsoever, and I saw nothing that made it not doable on other things, such as mics, besides Kinect.

Ghost Recon with Kinect looked pretty good but sensitivity will probably be an issue. I think I would prefer to use a controller in those circumstances, the actions the guy was doing whist demoing reminded me of Tony Stark in Ironman haha when he was customising the guns.

How? Unless you're too lazy to press your thumb stick in the right direction.

How? Unless you're too lazy to press your thumb stick in the right direction.

Then don't use it. I like the immersion, though.

And never said it couldn't be used on a normal mic. I'm sure they could. I was referring only to the gameplay.

New Dash has Win8 feel to it... OMG... unreal evolution to the Dash and Youtube lol wow :D

Yeah, this new dash is amazing.

Ok, now it's getting awesome.