[Official] Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote

So no Safari 6 huh? :/

Is it all known if OSX Lion will be available on DVD at all? Would like to format my MacBook Pro once Lion is released :)

The keynote says Mac App Store only.

Is it all known if OSX Lion will be available on DVD at all? Would like to format my MacBook Pro once Lion is released :)

well after lion jobs will announce the iNoFormat so you can never format a drive again... forced inplace upgrades for all! It works on iOS so why not on desktops? :laugh:

keep them...what if you don't want to pay the $25 subscription fee anymore?

then i have two versions of the same song, screw it. imma stick with being a :ninjapirate:

What because of Twitter over Facebook integration? Extremely doubtful...

Yes. It would make me greatly consider changing platforms. One of the main factors I consider in a phone currently is how well it integrates with Facebook because that is how I prefer to communicate with my friends, and how I prefer to keep updated with them. Windows Phone integrates Facebook so well into contact cards and other places; there is still a lot of Facebook integration that Windows Phone could provide, but it seems Windows Phone Mango may offer most of this natively (Facebook Chat, Facebook Places, and possibly even Facebook Notifications). Apple have not kept up with this for iOS 5, and with the amount of people who prefer Facebook to Twitter, this could cost Apple dearly (as long as Microsoft take advantage of this situation and push their Facebook integration when marketing.)

well considering 10.3 is what's supposed to have the iCloud stuff the link really doesn't do any good right now...

Hang on I'll get on the phone to the web devs in Cupertino and ask them to hurry up. :)

The link is also there to highlight the iCloud smallprint...

well after lion jobs will announce the iNoFormat so you can never format a drive again... forced inplace upgrades for all! It works on iOS so why not on desktops? :laugh:

Well in iOS there is an option to format. If you do a DFU restore its kind of like a format.

Yes. It would make me greatly consider changing platforms. One of the main factors I consider in a phone currently is how well it integrates with Facebook because that is how I prefer to communicate with my friends, and how I prefer to keep updated with them. Windows Phone integrates Facebook so well into contact cards and other places; there is still a lot of Facebook integration that Windows Phone could provide, but it seems Windows Phone Mango may offer most of this natively (Facebook Chat, Facebook Places, and possibly even Facebook Notifications). Apple have not kept up with this for iOS 5, and with the amount of people who prefer Facebook to Twitter, this could cost Apple dearly (as long as Microsoft take advantage of this situation and push their Facebook integration when marketing.)

Microsoft and Facebook has got along pretty fine. I mean bing is there and various cloud apps such as documents etc. I am guessing thats why maybe apple isnt allowed to integrate facebook? (maybe Microsoft made a deal or something?)

Hang on I'll get on the phone to the web devs in Cupertino and ask them to hurry up. :)

The link is also there to highlight the iCloud smallprint...

While you are at it can you ask them to leak the iPhone 5 as well?

Yes you, however most people probably won't choose a phone purely based on Facebook integration. The fact that Microsoft actually launched and sells Windows Phone 7 without supporting the spoken language of that particular country is a much bigger turn off and doesn't exactly do much to improve their image. In that case I'd rather have a phone that supports Dutch than tighter Facebook integration.

According to the keynote it wont be. I guess its to avoid the process of Hackintosh?

The developer previews (downloaded from the App Store) so far have actually contained a disc image that people have managed to use for a clean install, so I'm guessing it will still be possible in the final release.

Why would they? Completely different kind of service...

Actually I currently use Spotify to access music I don't have space for on my phone or don't listen to often enough to put it on my phone. By using iTunes Match it would negate me having to do this (which I'm guessing quite a lot of iOS uses are currently doing) which is why I'm curious if they will change their pricing...

Again, there's no difference between a FLAC+CUE, APE+CUE or WavPack burned to a CD-R versus a purchase CD in this case. Hell, you don't even need to burn it, mounting it via a virtual drive should be enough.

That changes nothing, if the RIAA has enough proof to go after a person, It will be seen that the proof was sync'd and converted via iTunes. Doesnt matter if it was downloaded or ripped from another source.

The developer previews (downloaded from the App Store) so far have actually contained a disc image that people have managed to use for a clean install, so I'm guessing it will still be possible in the final release.

Quite. I wouldn't put it past a company that values usability as much as Apple to put a 'burn' icon right inside the Mac App Store once the product's been purchased.

Looks like a pretty epic update.

Might just consider an iPhone as my next phone, the iCloud, iMessage, etc features look amazing.

..unless Google comes out with something to rival it :cool:

Actually I currently use Spotify to access music I don't have space for on my phone or don't listen to often enough to put it on my phone. By using iTunes Match it would negate me having to do this (which I'm guessing quite a lot of iOS uses are currently doing) which is why I'm curious if they will change their pricing...

The point was that spotify streams whatever music you want. You don't have to own it (or have it in your library) and you don't have to download it.

From what I can see, iTunes match and iCloud will still mean you have to have the song in your library, and you will still have to download the song to your device before listening to it.

They are generally two totally different services, with a little bit of an overlap.

The only question I have about iCloud is CAN I TURN IT OFF without being badgered by it?

How does it make it "legal"? All it does is let you enjoy the benefits of iCloud with your pirated music. It doesn't suddenly make it legal if the FBI busts down your door or if you get sued by the RIAA.

I thought the whole point was that it literally replaced your copy with a copy from the iTunes store, which is thus legally licensed?

Did they say MobileMe is going to be replaced by iCloud, or MobileMe just updated to work with iCloud? I may have missed the point but when i get a mail or update calendar they are synced over my devices already without iCloud?

Yes, I'm quite sure iCloud is replacing and improving upon MobileMe. If anything, iCloud/MobileMe is even better in Lion than it was in Snow Leopard, as it will be more deeply integrated.

So no Safari 6 huh? :/

Yeah, I was hoping for this, too. Oh well, I guess we'll make do with Safari 5.1 in Lion for the time being.

If I recall, though, it wasn't that easy to extract. We weren't simply downloading a disc image from the App Store, it was an actual application that you then had to open and extract. I mean, it's not technically hard, but it's also something the average Mac user probably won't figure out how to do.

The only question I have about iCloud is CAN I TURN IT OFF without being badgered by it?

Yes, there is a central switch.

Yes, there is a central switch.

Sarcasm? or is there a lovely global disable for all this Cloud and sync crap

Yeah, I was hoping for this, too. Oh well, I guess we'll make do with Safari 5.1 in Lion for the time being.

For me the lack of a major new Safari version is pretty much the biggest disappointment of them all. I was really hoping to see some real improvements before Mac OS X Lion ships. :/

Just waiting for the iOS and Mac Dev portals to come up so I can get to downloading! :p

Did they say anything about having to download the entire DMG all over again or is the new build being pushed through Software Update like the last three (or so) Lion updates?

As far as 10.7 im wondering if the rumors are true about it being app store only, im guessing ill have to upgrade to 10.6 then appstore to 10.7. 10.6 wasnt enough to warrent an upgrade for me. Unfortunate i cant direct jump

Also as far as iOS sync, if it can be GeoFenced to sync when in a certian area and disabled other times, Wifi is slow as sin @work ( less then 1.5, but 20+ at home )

Twitter and Facebook are very different services. They have some overlap, but they are very different.

I can't imagine someone saying, "OK, time to close down my Facebook account and move to Twitter."

Unfortunately, many people don't realise just how similar the two services are. Facebook's main feature is posting content and sharing things, as is Twitter's. Everything that can be done on Twitter can be done on Facebook apart from: The only things missing from Facebook is support for hashtags and a list of trends (although anyone could make a service to see what is the most popular terms shared publicly on Facebook.) That's it; those are the only two things missing. The major difference between the two services is their models. Everything one posts on Twitter is displayed as either a tweet or reply on their profile, and there is no easy way to view all of the replies to one tweet from different people, even with 'New Twitter'. With Facebook, it's all implemented in what I think is a much better way: People post content to their Page or Profile, and others can comment on that content; those comments are displayed directly underneath that content, so it is easy to see conversations and replies to that post. Again, I stress: Everything that can be done on Twitter can be done on Facebook (apart from trends and hashtags), so they really are not very different. Anyone can use the posting ability on Facebook in the same way they use the posting ability on Twitter (they can make it public to anyone while making their other information private.) Someone could have a list of those people they only wish to share all or some posts with (followers rather than friends), and another list of those they don't mind seeing their other, more personal, information (friends); that only takes minutes to set up in the privacy settings of Facebook, and no time to manage.

As a side note, further explaining why I'm disappointed with Apple's approach here: Facebook allows for better privacy of posts. On Facebook, one can hide their own updates from those who aren't friends with them, but they can still post comments on celebrities' or idols' Pages, for the celebrity or idol to reply to; on Twitter, one has to show all of their posts to everyone if they wish to reply to or tweet someone who is not following them (often the case with celebrities or idols, or even just people one wishes to talk with who don't happen to be following one.) It's an awful model.

You might not find people saying "Time to close down my Facebook account and move to Twitter," but I know many of my friends who now use Twitter much more than Facebook, which means that if I'd like to keep up-to-date with them, I have to use Twitter and I now have to manage and read two different streams which becomes tedious, especially when Facebook can do pretty much all of what Twitter can.

If I recall, though, it wasn't that easy to extract. We weren't simply downloading a disc image from the App Store, it was an actual application that you then had to open and extract. I mean, it's not technically hard, but it's also something the average Mac user probably won't figure out how to do.

I wasn't saying it was easy, but that it was possible. It is only a few clicks to get at the disc image though (nowhere near as hard as you make it out to be):

First: Go to the downloaded ?Install Mac OS X? app that you downloaded via the Mac App Store, right click and select ?Show Package Contents?.

Next: Navigate to Contents -> SharedSupport. There you?ll find the dmg-file that you can burn to a DVD using Apple?s own Disk Utility.

http://holgr.com/blog/2011/02/creating-a-bootable-os-x-10-7-lion-disc/

I'm fairly certain anyone who can figure out burning a disc image in the first place is capable of a few extra clicks to get at the image.

That changes nothing, if the RIAA has enough proof to go after a person, It will be seen that the proof was sync'd and converted via iTunes. Doesnt matter if it was downloaded or ripped from another source.

Well, that's assuming whomever the pirate is, is stupid enough to get caught in the first place. This is why I've purchased all my music legally and ripped them all in lossless for my own personal library. However, as I said, the downloaded 256kbps AAC file from iTunes' store would be a legal copy. So for $25 a month, a person could pirate music and upload it through iTunes to the cloud, then because of iTunes Match, it'll replace the song(s) or give the option to download the song(s) from the iTunes Store as a legal copy. You could delete the pirated copy and be left with that legal copy.

I'm fairly certain anyone who can figure out burning a disc image in the first place is capable of a few extra clicks to get at the image.

Agreed. People not capable of doing so are very unlikely to perform an Erase & Install themselves to begin with.

• Like 1