• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Official] Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote

PyX    140

So I?ve just watched the complete Keynote?

I?m impressed by everything about iOS 5, reaaally glad that it?ll be available on my iPhone 3GS, I?ll be able to remove the jailbreak on it because the new features will bring it on par with the current jail-broken iPhone that I have.

iCloud for free, it?s really promising. For a long time I?ve been looking for solutions to sync my iMac + MacBook Pro + iPhone. So far I?ve found BusySync for my iCal, which doesn?t work quite well, Dropbox for my files, which works beautifully, etc. but I usually connect my iPhone to sync it and there?s no way I can sync my stuff on my MacBook Pro. You bet that I will subscribe to that.

Where it gets a little worse is Lion. I was really expecting more new features. Safari is looking pretty sharp. I?m glad that Mission Control looked a lot better and more polished, finally. The new Photo Booth is amazing, I?m definitely going to have a lot of fun with my friends with this. LaunchPad though? It doesn?t seem like they have fixed it, how the hell are we supposed to delete an application from this, in a logical and cognitively easy manner? Also, how are Tiger and Leopard users supposed to upgrade to that thing, if they don?t even have the App Store application on their computer? Do they just go on www.apple.com and get the download from this particular Web Mac App store?

All in all, it?s a very good Keynote though, you couldn?t really expect more. However, I?m still missing a release date for Final Cut Pro X, which should still be out this month, and I am completely clueless about the black hole where the next version of iWork went. Now, this is a developer?s conference, I wasn?t expecting a FCPX announcement for real, but iWork '11 should have been the "One More Thing". Since the first day iWork ?09 was out, Pages and Numbers were deprecated for various reasons. Also, there?s a couple of effects that we have seen in the latest 2 keynotes that we don?t currently have in Keynote ?09, which means that they DO have a new version on the track somehow.

instant.human    45

If I had some ideas for an App which I would like to finish by fall when iOS5 officially comes out... would you reccomend installing this (early) beta on your main iOS device? I guess not so much? Common sense tells me "don't do it, fall is far away" but the playful child in me says "dude, do it, that way you have plenty of time left"...

.Neo    1,834
Also, how are Tiger and Leopard users supposed to upgrade to that thing, if they don?t even have the App Store application on their computer? Do they just go on www.apple.com and get the download from this particular Web Mac App store?

That's actually a very good question. Haven't thought of that. :/ Maybe they'll update the Mac Box Set? :unsure:

My guess is iWork will be updated once Mac OS X Lion is released, at the very least a software update to improve compatibility and correct several interface issues.

PyX    140

That's actually a very good question. Haven't thought of that. :/ Maybe they'll update the Mac Box Set? :unsure:

Well they specifically said that it wouldn?t be put on DVDs anymore. People won?t want to go fetch a discontinued version of OS X Snow Leopard everywhere in Stores, just to install it, update it to the latest version, and pay an additional $30 to be able to get Lion. That?s driving me completely nuts ! Fortunately, I am not one of these people, I?m running Snow Leopard everywhere in my house.

Also, I?m missing a specific release date for Lion. We are June 6th, the release date is before or on July 29th because it?s a Friday, I can?t believe they?re not able to give us a specific release date when we are a month and a half away from the maximum date.

?

One cool thing though (for them) is that since they?re releasing it on the Mac App Store, the day the last line of code is written, they can compile it and release it right away on the Mac App Store. I?ve never known how many days companies usually lose to give the apps to the burning and boxing facilities and for delivery to the physical stores, but I?m pretty sure they?re losing a good 2-4 weeks. They can actually take this additional time and give it to the developers of OS X Lion so that they have a little bit more time, so it?s not a loss.

Garry    130

Hmm.

I wonder why iMessage and FaceTime are separate apps. Obviously FaceTime is WiFi only but it would seem to make sense to have merged iMessage and FaceTime into iChat for iOS...

ThisIsStockerHD    105

Hmm.

I wonder why iMessage and FaceTime are separate apps. Obviously FaceTime is WiFi only but it would seem to make sense to have merged iMessage and FaceTime into iChat for iOS...

They probably will at a later date.

.Neo    1,834
That?s driving me completely nuts ! Fortunately, I am not one of these people, I?m running Snow Leopard everywhere in my house.

Going completely nuts over a problem that doesn't affect you. Okay... :huh:

Garry    130

Safari 5.1 Developer Preview for Snow Leopard is out too. Requires 10.6.7.

post-3343-0-56517100-1307404279.jpg

ThisIsStockerHD    105

Safari 5.1 Developer Preview for Snow Leopard is out too. Requires 10.6.7.

Do you need ADC for this?

Quillz    1,011

Ah, so they are going to backport it to Snow Leopard. Interesting.

I wonder, though... Will Safari 5.1 on Lion have some "extra" features similar to how Safari 5 on Snow Leopard had some advantages over the Leopard version?

Garry    130

Do you need ADC for this?

Depends if you want to download it from Apple or not :)

.Neo    1,834

Ah, so they are going to backport it to Snow Leopard. Interesting.

I wonder, though... Will Safari 5.1 on Lion have some "extra" features similar to how Safari 5 on Snow Leopard had some advantages over the Leopard version?

My guess is that Safari 5.1 will turn into Safari 6 by the time it is released to the public.

sundayx    127

Is there still a covered banner on the show floor?

Richard C.    288

If I do get Lion (which I might do after watching the video) or when iTunes updates itself the first thing I need to do is work out how to turn off the cloud features, then I can enjoy it all :)

Am I the only person in the world who thinks having everything in some sort of Cloud (especially when you only use one Apple product) a bit stupid?

.Neo    1,834

Interesting to see that iTunes 10.5 restored the window controls back to OS defaults instead of keeping them vertical. Apparently Apple thought as well it was a retarded move.

Am I the only person in the world who thinks having everything in some sort of Cloud (especially when you only use one Apple product) a bit stupid?

Is anyone forcing you to use it? I don't think so. ;)

Garry    130

Interesting to see that iTunes 10.5 restored the window controls back to OS defaults instead of keeping them vertical. Apparently Apple thought as well it was a retarded move.

Is anyone forcing you to use it? I don't think so. ;)

Not really. Especially since they've developed iCloud APIs to allow OSX/iOS developers to use it. So potentially I can use any app on any OSX/iOS device with all my settings, personalisations and data available to me at all times. A few more years and iterations and the devices themselves almost become thin-clients.

I hate to sound patronising but if people can't see the potential of cloud computing, they're not using their imaginations properly. Now we just need somebody (and Apple is fine with me!) to get the implementation right.

Elliott    235

Is there still a covered banner on the show floor?

It was an iCloud banner.

Harrison H.    70

Is there any reason why I can't add iOS access to my ADC account? I checked the box to sign up for $99/year, and it says my request can't be processed. Would I have been denied for some reason, or could it just be the servers are being hit right now?

Having the same issue. Right after you click the box and click continue you get a message saying:

We are unable to process your request.

Please go back to the previous page, or quit your browser and try your request again.
 If you require assistance, please contact Apple Developer Support.

Really annoying.

PyX    140

Going completely nuts over a problem that doesn't affect you. Okay... :huh:

Well there are millions of people stuck with pre-Snow Leopard OS X out there, and they still run an Intel Mac.

On another note, I?m glad they have made something nice out of the Full Screen app transition. It was actually really ugly in the Developer Previews. However, speaking of animations, I loved that the new windows had a "scale" effect (in Safari, Preview, etc.). I hope they?re not removing it...

Boo Berry    2,264

C'mon Apple, release iTunes 10.3 x64 for Windows already! :p

Unix2    5

Does anyone know if Safari 5.1 will drop support for PPC processors?

Garry    130

Does anyone know if Safari 5.1 will drop support for PPC processors?

Well given that it only runs on Snow Leopard and above, and Snow Leopard is Intel only...

Unix2    5

Well given that it only runs on Snow Leopard and above, and Snow Leopard is Intel only...

Ok... Well, time to upgrade I guess... :p

rajputwarrior    280

anyone find out about the x64 only rumour? is anyone even running the dev build on a core duo?

+warwagon    13,209

I have a prediction. The Next iPad and iPhone will have IR so you can use them as an advanced remotes. They will then spin it to make it sound like they are the first ones to ever put IR in a device.