New Facebook Sidebar

I don't care that it's so big, I just want it to display EVERYONE who is online (22 people online but shows 11? -__-...) and for it to bring back my old lists of friends. I don't want to hide from them, I just want them to be displayed and prioritized on the sidebar.

I wish there was a way to disable chat altogether--I don't use it and am annoyed by that thing popping up all the time. Even if I minimise it back down to the bottom, it eventually comes up again and I have to keep doing it. Annoying as!

snip

Yeah, I've been using it as of a few hours ago. It's a step up definitely, but I wish I could get my friend lists prioritized on the sidebar. Oh well, I'll be using this until they change it or until everyone switches to G+.

Fixed? It's not a bug or problem Facebook didn't desire. 'Fix' is not the correct word to use.

It really is. It's broken. You fix things that are broken.

I've basically just stopped going on chat because I can't be arsed with this sidebar anymore.

It really is. It's broken. You fix things that are broken.

I've basically just stopped going on chat because I can't be arsed with this sidebar anymore.

It isn't broken. Facebook intended it to be that way; thus it isn't broken. It could be improved, but there's nothing to fix because nothing is broken.

I'd just like to point out the following to anyone who read that link: My previous posts still stand. This is not broken. Facebook intended it to be that way, so therefore it can never reasonably be described as broken. Something that is broken is something that doesn't function how the makers of the product intended. That Gizmodo journalist has lost credibility with me after claiming it is "broken" and needs to be "fixed."

I'd just like to point out the following to anyone who read that link: My previous posts still stand. This is not broken. Facebook intended it to be that way, so therefore it can never reasonably be described as broken. Something that is broken is something that doesn't function how the makers of the product intended. That Gizmodo journalist has lost credibility with me after claiming it is "broken" and needs to be "fixed."

Just because it's not broken (technically or functionally) to the creators doesn't mean that it isn't broken functionally for the users.

There have been a very large amount of instances across the board where the creators think something is perfectly fine but "broken" functionally for the people that are outside the team/company.

^What do you mean by "broken"? If it's because it's displaying people you really don't interact with frequently (and hides people you always talk to), then I think we can say that it's not perfect and may be "broken". Now, if it still because it doesn't show online users on the chat bar, then no, it's not broken. It's what they have in mind.

The new chat in facebook is horrible it took up the whole side of the screen was auto logging me into chat and everything after 2 days of it i used adblock to remove chat completely so now everytime i re-install i'll block with adblock and soon as google+ opens its doors have a look at that.

I'm thinking of boycotting chat altogether, it's a steaming pile of rodent sh*t. I have about 90 people online, and in Mozilla I can't scroll through the chat list to actually chat to contacts past "S".

It isn't broken. Facebook intended it to be that way; thus it isn't broken. It could be improved, but there's nothing to fix because nothing is broken.

No, it's broken!

Why be so facetious? I don't give a **** about your linguistic semantics. The sidebar is broken!

I don't use facebookchat anymore apart from through adium

No, it's broken!

Why be so facetious? I don't give a **** about your linguistic semantics. The sidebar is broken!

It's nothing about linguistic semantics; it's about the fact it is not broken. The sidebar is not broken because it serves its intended job!

The only other things that are on that side are either white space or adverts, so why is it a problem?

It's a problem for me because for the most part I don't use the chat functions, and much prefer the white space to a big useless (to me) sidebar that pushes the rest of the page over.

It's nothing about linguistic semantics; it's about the fact it is not broken. The sidebar is not broken because it serves its intended job!

it's intended job is useless. It's like if I had a perfectly working car, and then the dealer switched it out in the middle of the night with one that can't go past 35mph unless you manually move the speedometer to the desired speed. It isn't technically broken because that's what was intended, but it's still a piece of trash vehicle.

It's a problem for me because for the most part I don't use the chat functions, and much prefer the white space to a big useless (to me) sidebar that pushes the rest of the page over.

You raise a fair point if you prefer white space to a sidebar you don't wish to use. It doesn't push the rest of the content over though; it just uses that white space. I don't know whether you're aware, but Facebook very recently updated this new update to allow users to hide the sidebar for good. If you click on the settings icon at the bottom of the Chat sidebar, you're now able to hide the sidebar :)

it's intended job is useless. It's like if I had a perfectly working car, and then the dealer switched it out in the middle of the night with one that can't go past 35mph unless you manually move the speedometer to the desired speed. It isn't technically broken because that's what was intended, but it's still a piece of trash vehicle.

I'm not saying the new updates are better than the previous functionality at all, but I can't stand when people suggest software should be "fixed" even though it functions how the developer intended, so I had to take issue with his post :)

I'm not saying the new updates are better than the previous functionality at all, but I can't stand when people suggest software should be "fixed" even though it functions how the developer intended, so I had to take issue with his post :)

Again, just because it isn't "broken" for the developers doesn't mean it isn't "broken" for the people that actually use it.

There is often a huge disjoint between developers and users. This is why many companies spend a fortune in market research and then other companies just say **** the users and do whatever they want.

Again, just because it isn't "broken" for the developers doesn't mean it isn't "broken" for the people that actually use it.

There is often a huge disjoint between developers and users. This is why many companies spend a fortune in market research and then other companies just say **** the users and do whatever they want.

It's not broken for anyone. If something works as the creators or developers intended, it cannot reasonably be deemed broken by anyone. Something could even be unusable, but if it was intended to be like that, it would not be broken. As it happens, this new Chat interface isn't unusable, but it does not work in the way many people desire. That doesn't mean it is broken for those users as it works in the way the developer intended; it simply means many users dislike how it functions.

You raise a fair point if you prefer white space to a sidebar you don't wish to use. It doesn't push the rest of the content over though; it just uses that white space. I don't know whether you're aware, but Facebook very recently updated this new update to allow users to hide the sidebar for good. If you click on the settings icon at the bottom of the Chat sidebar, you're now able to hide the sidebar :)

Yep..I saw that. And very promptly did so. Also on my 17" monitor in chrome it actually does shove the page over.

EDIT: It even does so on my 20", though not quite as much.