Lets hear it! Iimmersive UI (Start Panel) in Windows 8 (Desktop) Good?

This poll applies to Metro UI on the DESKTOP (not Tablets or touch devices)  

321 members have voted

1. 1. I think the Iimmersive UI (Start Panel) is a great innovation for the desktop PC

• Yes!
    • No!

Yes, but only providing it can actually replace the desktop. I keep reading conflicting information on this, but the last thing I want is a "browse the Internet on Metro, get dumped to the desktop for anything useful" type experience. For legacy/compatibility purposes I'd be fine with the desktop remaining for now, but if you want to you should be able to use Metro exclusively.

Done well (ie: follows the Metro design philosophy), Metro would make a computer much more fluid and productive, putting the focus on the task at hand and not on a load of superfluous graphics (like web designers have been doing for years).

IE has two different skins - a Metro skin for the immersive UI and a standard IE9-style desktop skin for the desktop. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to use the immersive or standard desktop environments exclusively. It's up to you (and the apps you use) to determine that. The only exception to this is the Start Screen which is metro but, as I said in another thread, nobody spends enough time on the Start menu/screen to make it worth worrying about.

What I hate about it currently as well, is the fact that you can only view one app at a time in the Start Panel, either Socialite or TweetORama is taking up the full 23" screen, that to me is a step backwards when I have up to 6 apps open on my second screen in Windows 7, all viewable, not having to chop and change like the Start Panel requires. The little tiles have some sort real time notifications (like weather) but many others do not.

You know you can resize the apps and have multiple ones on the screen with dividers? :)

You know you can resize the apps and have multiple ones on the screen with dividers? :)

Whats wrong with having windows on a desktop, i have at least 5 apps open all at the same time i dont need to tile them or divide them.

The little tiles have some sort real time notifications (like weather) but many others do not.

And the point of the Dev preview is for us to actually be creating those tiles with notifications - so by the time the public BETA hits, basically everything will be alive and animated with update information and notifications all happening in the background. You can't be disliking it for something that this build itself is there to correct :p

Why do i need a fullscreen overlay with massive boxes that display very little information, i can have apps running in the task tray and still be able to use whatevers on my desktop.

Whats wrong with having windows on a desktop, i have at least 5 apps open all at the same time i dont need to tile them or divide them.

Nothing's wrong with that. Click the desktop tile or hit Win-D and use it (or just turn off the start screen completely.) I was simply saying that you can easily view and use multiple Metro apps at once.

Metro UI is HORRIBLE on desktops. Unless they are going to give the option at Install whether or not to use Metro UI then I will not be encouraging people to purchase this version of windows. for a Desktop/Laptop. I do not want to have to go around modifying peoples computer just so they can use it for day to day usage.

The fact that it's a tech preview does not change the fundamental concept. That's what we're talking about here.

I don't think the concept works on the desktop at all, yet it's perfect for tablets. I can't see them making it work well on the PC with extra work either, It just doesn't make sense for a desktop experience.

I don't think we can honestly judge yet. What makes the Metro interface what it is is its apps - without the apps it's quite literally nothing, apart from your user tile and a piece of text that says "Start".

And due to the fact that there are no proper apps for it, apart from a bunch of placeholders, I'd don't think it's right to judge it from a user perspective, because users just aren't going to be using it like this. Users are going to be using it in a far more personal, alive state, that simply doesn't exist today. When the programs are there, when they're all linked up to search contracts and share contracts and all working harmoniously, smoothly, fluidly and quickly with each other - with live tiles exposing all their personal data right there on their start screen - that'll be a better time to judge.

At the moment though, I like it's vision. I like where it's going - it's aiming to make the PC far more personal and far more integrated than what's the default right now. I like it on the desktop too - it's easy to use with the mouse, and it's fast. It's not harder to use, once you're properly introduced to the new workflow (which may take you a little while), it's a nice way of doing things.

I also like the way Microsoft have embraced the cloud with this new Metro framework - much better than what Google is doing with Chrome OS. Instead of killing off the desktop, they're bring down all your data from all your cloud services all over the place, and making them feel natively like part of your operating system. Extremely simple to get too and use all your content in the same UI's, no matter what service it's hosted on.

This is exacty it, the Metro Design Language gets the UI Chrome out of the way and puts the data first. Take a look at the mail client on WP7, and apart from the app bar at the bottom, the content forms the UI putting it up front.

The tiles are largely irrelevant, it's the content they convey to the user that's more important. Again, tiles on WP7 show just what you need to see i.e. Messaging has an icon, yes, but the important part is the counter showing how many text messages you've recieved.

• Like 1

It is not the time to judge the interface in such an unfinished state. It is a technology preview. And a lot of features have not been shown, and even those shown at BUILD are not present in this build.

But the basic idea and the design philosophy is grand and world-changing.

The solution they have is very simple and elegant, even at this early stage.

Nothing's wrong with that. Click the desktop tile or hit Win-D and use it (or just turn off the start screen completely.) I was simply saying that you can easily view and use multiple Metro apps at once.

I shouldnt have to turn it off, though its not just that, the whole OS is going to be designed for and geared around Metro which means my user experience if i dont want all the metro crap is going to be impacted for the majority of the brainless simple minded slate users.

Only thing with that is we don't know if we can have more than 2 at a time. That's the only "limitation" that I see so far with Windows 8 that will hamper "productivity" in the Immersive UI. If we can have more than 2 (and why can I not do split screen....I think that's crazy) then I believe it will do great for productivity. I think right now they haven't announced more than 2 is because they are still trying to figure out how to do "right click" aka app bar for those resized applications. They are really focused on making sure that whatever you do in the Immersive UI is well thought out and makes sense.

Metro UI like Marmite? Love it or hate it.

I think if MS want to make the new Start Screen work with the desktop crowd it needs improved. They need to sell it as the new taskbar, allowing you to create shortcut tiles etc. Also they need to remove the darn "flicking" when clicking the left hand side of the screen for desktop users.

IMO I believe MS need to get this right first time, keeping the desktop customers happy or there will be a lot staying with win 7 or dare I say it moving to an Apple PC eventually.

Generally, people don't like change & I fear that this will be the worst mistake that MS can do for the desktop environment for their company.

I shouldnt have to turn it off, though its not just that, the whole OS is going to be designed for and geared around Metro which means my user experience if i dont want all the metro crap is going to be impacted for the majority of the brainless simple minded slate users.

Then stick with Windows 7 then, it's not as if Windows 7 disks and PCs will spontaneously combust just because Windows 8 is going to be on the market.

The truth is this version is a DEVELOPER PREVIEW i.e. IT'S... NOT... COMPLETE.

Only thing with that is we don't know if we can have more than 2 at a time. That's the only "limitation" that I see so far with Windows 8 that will hamper "productivity" in the Immersive UI. If we can have more than 2 (and why can I not do split screen....I think that's crazy) then I believe it will do great for productivity. I think right now they haven't announced more than 2 is because they are still trying to figure out how to do "right click" aka app bar for those resized applications. They are really focused on making sure that whatever you do in the Immersive UI is well thought out and makes sense.

I can only get two as well, but... "It's not done yet" :p

I remember seeing a preview video where they had more than two apps open side by side, but apparently it's not in the DP.

EDIT: I just noticed that you can drag the desktop and make it one of the "screen tiles" - you can use an app and and the desktop at the same time.

Wanna shout that a tad louder?!

The font won't go any bigger, I can try though!!! :p

I can only get two as well, but... "It's not done yet" :p

I remember seeing a preview video where they had more than two apps open side by side, but apparently it's not in the DP.

I think you're right, I think it was a video and something else. Once we get more than 2 apps at the same time, when we get into the realm of "productivity" because honestly, that's all it really is. Multitasking and how fast and efficient can I multitask. Even though 2 screens at the same time is still productive. People like organized clutter. lol.

Another thing, we need to get productivity Metro apps before we can say that this isn't good for productivity reasons. It's all about the applications. Someone make a quick Notepad. lol.

The fact that it's a tech preview does not change the fundamental concept. That's what we're talking about here.

I don't think the concept works on the desktop at all, yet it's perfect for tablets. I can't see them making it work well on the PC with extra work either, It just doesn't make sense for a desktop experience.

It does effect the fact that a lot of people can't properly envision the concept. Microsoft haven't shipped the complete vision. They've shipped barebones preview apps which people are basing their entire impression of the concept on - the problem is, this build is not the "User Experience" - it's the "Developers go and create the user experience" build. Windows 8 isn't going to be shipping with this bunch of quickly prototyped and sumer intern made apps - these are showcases for developers, not show cases for end uses. The fact is the Metro start screen relies on it's apps to be what it is. Without the real apps - the bigger, completer, it's hard for people to judge properly. And the developers have to create those experiences before the users can properly objectively decide whether the like it's concept. That or just what ridiculous amounts of Build sessions to know what's going on :p

What's wrong with this concept:

It's full entirely of what's important to the user

Their start screen is constantly keeping them upto date without having to jump into apps

It's always their - it's fast and easy to get too.

It brings all their web services natively to their desktop.

It allows desktop apps to natively and simply interact with web services

It allows desktop apps to access each other in a consistent and simple manner

Users can search using any apps search functions at any time

A user can also go to their old native desktop and use all their existing programs however they want.

It's a good vision - it takes some getting used to, but the concept seems nice on paper does it not?

• Like 1

The concept works for the desktop once you wrap your head around the new way it looks. Honestly I have around 8 to 9 apps open normally, but I really only use the browser and IRC the most, the other things are there but I flip to them less, like Outlook, I'll check it when I get a new email msg and then minimize it away to the tray etc. The point is, sure you have lots of windows open, but what do you spend most of your time in? I think for most it's 2 apps while the rest sit there 90% of the time per day.

There are elements missing in the new UI, elements that make it better in the end, all we have is the bare minimum to get an idea right now. Until all the parts are in place and we have a beta with all the features you can't really say it does or doesn't work on the desktop. I for one, am able to use it just fine for the desktop, the start screen starts apps, if what you use are old style desktop apps and not full screen metro apps then it doesn't change anything really. Hit winkey, start typing, hit enter and your apps start. It's the same as it was.

• Like 1

Like a lot of others here, I'm not a big fan of the UI as it stands on the desktop. On my laptop, it's easy enough to use if a little "clunky" because it doesn't feel as if it's been optimised for a mouse/keyboard experience at this particular point in time.

On a large monitor at 1920x1080, I just can't see it working well.

However, all this being said, I fully expect to see more come out when the Beta is finally released later on in the year. I'll reserve my judgement until then. Because this is purely aimed at developers for the time being, I can understand why most of the effort appears to have gone in to Metro - when this thing launches, they want a WHOLE raft of apps being available for it. Us desktop users who aren't so keen just need to sit back and wait to see what they come up with. A MASSIVE part of Microsoft's business are enterprise users, and I can't imagine this will be forced on them as is.

Then stick with Windows 7 then, it's not as if Windows 7 disks and PCs will spontaneously combust just because Windows 8 is going to be on the market.

The truth is this version is a DEVELOPER PREVIEW i.e. IT'S... NOT... COMPLETE.

Wow, you mean the Windows 8 Developer Preview isnt retail? Gee thanks for telling me.

Try reading what i said again, think about it a bit, then come up with a proper answer.

Windows 7 wont spontaneously combust but because its the newer operating system, microsoft and developers are going to be gearing their apps to this Metro interface and it means im going to lose out on features if i dont use Metro.

OK peoples, as was said in the OP, everyone knows it's a developer preview but feedback is what causes change. IF you wait till it's final then they'll say well we didn't hear any complaints so we thought everyone liked it.

The fact that it's not final doesn't mean you should just deal with it, actually the fact that it's not final is why Microsoft is sending it out (knowing even developers wont like certain things that doesn't have to deal with delopment). If you are a developer and you only care about the code but not the final presentation of your App alongside with other apps then you aren't seeing the big picture. What if you designed an app now with the UI in mind just the way it is and then Microsoft went all 180 degrees and changed tons of stuff, your design would now be out of date. This is of-course if you didn't voice concerns as well as followed up with Microsoft on new changes. Surely you'd be a bad dev then but Microsoft knows there are those "Garage developers" which wont have futher access that normal MSDN subscribers do so they may not get all the information that those paid guys will. Microsoft wants to hear their feedback as well, otherwise why release it to the "public" ??