Erm, most reviewers get the final code well before the release date. It takes a couple of weeks to press the final version to discs. So it's more than "a few hours."

Sounds like they coordinated a review event instead so the code wouldn't leak.

Played a bit of it, both multi and single, i like it. Multi is more Vehicluar DM with objectives, like Twisted Metal.

Single seems kind of like Fallout.

Need to pay more attention and see if there is ability to see all objectives ( like a MMO Quest Log ) or if it only allows 1 at a time.

But so far i like it, got it on PC and i see myself playing more of it then GoW3.

Imagine Borderlands with the fun stripped out, or Fallout without actual choice, characters, or consequences. None of the game's ideas are thought out or fully explored, so the game feels like a series of dead ends in a world that is hard to care about, in which you play a bland character doing boring things against stock enemies using weak guns. I only finished RAGE because I was paid to do so, and the process was a struggle; the game never presented me with a hook to continue playing,

So, just to sum up my nine plus hours with the game so far:

• No story to speak of
  • No characters that make an impression
  • Linear
  • Broken save system
  • Dull mechanics
  • Tedious quests
  • Weak shooting
  • Stock weapons
  • Racing is fun
  • Minigames are enjoyable
  • Very pretty

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/10/rage-is-the-gamiest-game-that-ever-gamed.ars

Doesn't sound like I'll be getting RAGE anytime soon :/

Id rather play it and go on my own decision than let my decisions purely be influenced by reviews alone. One mans garbage is anothers fortune.

There's enough outlets echoing similar vibes in a month where I have quite a large gaming choice, so I simply cannot see me spending money on RAGE when other games entice me more.

RAGE isn't what you think it is.

In fact, it's easiest to tell you what RAGE isn't right away. It's nothing like Fallout 3. It's nothing like Borderlands. It's not an RPG, though Id and Bethesda have used RPG terminology in describing it. It's not much of an open world. It's not very big. It's not very long.

And unfortunately, it's not the return to prominence that Id fans have been hoping for.

The story, such as it is, is threadbare, even by Id standards, relying more on a general "fear the government" vibe than any meaningful development. You show up. You kill things because other people ask, and they turn out to be the "right" people. There aren't dialogue trees, and there's no choices.
There's just not a lot of "there" there - my first playthrough, which included every side-mission and several job board assignments, took me 9 hours and 15 minutes. My second, where I completed every side-mission, every job board assignment, every courier mission, and most of the races, took eight hours and 50 minutes. RAGE ends so abruptly that I didn't realize it was over until the final cutscene began. I was left wondering what had happened.

And that's the thing. The aspects of RAGE that seem interesting and different at first never grow or expand. The enemy reactions, the clutching, the begging for their lives, it's repeated identically so often over the course of the game that it loses any impact or meaning. The town that initially holds the promise of a big, wide, asteroid-murdered world is a facade for a few fetch quests down some of the most guided, narrow shooter levels this side of a Call of Duty title. RAGE is pretty at times, but it's not enough to paint over the truth - that Id's labor feels like a scaffolding for a game of bolder ideas, ideas which, for whatever reason, aren't realized. And the game that is there just isn't enough to compete with other, better shooters we've seen this year.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/04/rage-review/

It's a id game, if you play for a good story, like I do, then you're not going to get one. They need to hire some real writers and not focus only on graphics so much. Anyways, gonna have to hold off on this, other games I wanna play that are on their way.

I'm going to give it a try, had it on pre-order for ages, while the reviews were a bit lower than i expected, they all seem to say the same thing (not much story). I think that'll be down to the user. I'm sure some will love it and take what they want from the story and some will go in and dislike it because of the lack of narrative.

Gameplay wise, no one seems to be complaining about that, they all say there is a lot of content and combat is good. So i think anyone who gets it, will have a good time with it.

The metacritic user reviews, though few, aren't good: http://www.metacriti...ge/user-reviews

Also, there aren't any advanced graphics options for Rage:

RAGE: I took the opportunity and looked at the options menu. There were no graphic options beside resolution, brightness, anti-aliasing and GPU transcoding. Is this a limitation of the test version?

This is a feature of the id Tech 5. The Engine automatically adjusts to your hardware to ensure the best performance and graphics the hardware can provide.

For example: You have a video card with 512MB VRAM, 4GB of normal RAM and a decent processor. Now the id Tech 5 adjusts the quality of the Level of Detail to the available resources. If you have twice the RAM the engine scales dynamically up to it, improves the textures and objects in the far look sharper and more detailed. At the same time the engines tries to keep running at 60 FPS even though this is not also possible – dependent on the situation.

http://www.idgames.d...ith-Tim-Willits

It seems as though id Software dropped the ball with this title. :(

here we go with the double standards and criticism...if this game was by Gearbox and called Borderlands 2 you'd all be singing its praises. what did you expect exactly? they really described this game from a while back as an extensive shooter, not something entirely new. i still haven't played it, but i think many of you are being too harsh.

here we go with the double standards and criticism...if this game was by Gearbox and called Borderlands 2 you'd all be singing its praises. what did you expect exactly? they really described this game from a while back as an extensive shooter, not something entirely new. i still haven't played it, but i think many of you are being too harsh.

I certainly wouldn't. Not sure why you get that impression.

Joystiq was let down: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/04/rage-review/#continued

People are moaning bout adv options for grafix, boo hoo, its designed to run smooth and scale depending on system. If they allowed full graphix options, those same people would be moaning that it runs laggy or choppy.

So i dont see how ID " Dropped The Ball " ,,

I think ID is allowing you to keep playing with the Ball

*Edit - my system is a

Win7 x64

I7 920

12GB DDR3

GTX 580 using the new BF3 beta drivers

And i dont have a single problem with the game, textures are clear, no bluring in, and runs smooth.

Not really, if this was Borderlands 2 I'd be thinking WTF considering the game Borderlands was :laugh: RAGE sounds like the only thing it really has in common with Borderlands is that you get to shoot guns, and well, that's a bit common in most games.

Instead, people are crying about not being able to rid the terrible screen tearing they're experiences due to not having a simple adv option such as vsync.

Sorry but I'll have to disagree here. PC gamers should always be given the option to manually adjust these settings due to the diversity in system components/specs.

All good for consoles since they all run on the same components/specs.

No wonder they're hollering 'another failed console port'.

As far as I can tell, those people spent their money on the pc game and have the right to moan when it doesn't meat the pc standard.

Instead, people are crying about not being able to rid the terrible screen tearing they're experiences due to not having a simple adv option such as vsync.

Sorry but I'll have to disagree here. PC gamers should always be given the option to manually adjust these settings due to the diversity in system components/specs.

I highly doubt its vsync causing it. And i disagree that PC gamers should be given the options to manually adjust, because they will pump it above what their system can handle ( because everybody thinks they got a kick ass system ), when after they do that, they will go and slam the crap out of it for running or looking like crap, and their friends will see it look and run like crap and so on, and they will call support for the game to try and help it not work like crap, the support will fix it by lowring settings, and they will jack it back up and call later.

The game takes diversity in system components into consideration and automatically adjusts. Are you thinking the game just picks random options, no it will prebench the system and put stuff to the systems max to remain at 60.

Such sad reviews.... And here I was, all ready to go to the store and pick it up. Phew. I'll hold out for the tons of other triple A games coming out... Dark Souls is at the top of my list though. I still can't get enough of Demon Souls, no matter how many times it belittles me :p

So I knocked out all the MP achievements and it was fun. Legends was fun and the online MP is fun. Reminds me of Twisted Metal.

About to dive into the SP and see how that goes. Reading everything seems the story is lackluster which is part of the reason I got the game. Thought it would be a fun FPS with a great story (since that combo is so rare).

The main issue I have is the texture "pop." Because we cannot control the detail level, any textures off screen are unloaded and when you turn, the textures are like something from PS1. Absolutely disgusting. It's very distracting when you are shooting some people and then turn sharply and see blobs of goo coming at you instead of textured enemies.

ID really dropped the ball with this one. I mean, the performance is good (I get 60 FPS all the time), but they really need to fix the texture issues.